Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
To Skim or not to Skim, the Crema that is
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > To Skim or not...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
SteamPunk
SteamPunk
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto2,  VFA...
Grinder: Compak K3 'touch'
Roaster: Behmore 1600
Posted Sat Jun 23, 2012, 9:52am
Subject: To Skim or not to Skim, the Crema that is

There seems to be an opinion out there, that the beautiful crema should be skimmed off after pulling a shot.
This is supposed to be due to the fact that the creama is bitter, and why would you want to add a bitter
flavour to something truly magical, if you can leave it out?

I would like to hear from those who have first hand experience in testing and comparing, not just conjecture.
I myself have tried the skimming process, and it does seem to have some merit.

I know one thing for sure, if you stick a finger in the crema itself and taste, it has a burnt, bitter or tobacco like flavour.
As to the opinion that the more crema the better, maybe that translates into,
the more crema there is  to skim off, as a waste by-product, the better the flavour!

I know this opinion will not bode well with those who are into 'latte art'!

Or, is this a function of the grinder?
Does a high quality grinder produce a better tasting crema, which then becomes an integral part of the flavour?
Is this flavour that the crema imparts important to the overall taste, whether bitter or whatever?

Anyhow I suppose it's all a matter of personal taste, but I think it's a very important consideration that hasn't really much been addressed?
 View Profile Link to this post
fwtechwiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Posted Sat Jun 23, 2012, 12:47pm
Subject: Re: To Skim or not to Skim, the Crema that is

Crema is produced when the combination of factors for espresso brewing is right.. yes, it has something to do with the grinder.. proper grind size and consistancy, but moreso the water temperature, freshness of the grind, water pressure, etc.   The crema for me is an important part of the overall taste of an espresso shot.  Without the bitters in the crema to balance out the taste, the espresso seems flat, acrid and 'bright', almost sharp to the tongue.  Enough for me, at least, to want to rinse my mouth out after tasting espresso without the crema.  My vote is a resounding 'NOT to skim'.
AndyPanda
AndyPanda

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Sat Jun 23, 2012, 2:08pm

I don't skim ... but I also find that I prefer the taste when I use a spouted portafilter vs a bottomless portafilter.  I believe this is because I get twice the crema from a bottomless since it goes directly into the cup without hitting the bottom of the PF and the spout on the way to the cup.  

Since I noticed that, I've been positioning my cup under the bottomless PF so that the espresso hits the side of the cup and trickles down the side to the bottom of the cup - this seems to break up some of the crema the same way a spouted PF does.

It may be that the bubbles in the crema contribute to the bitterness you are experiencing - try letting the stream run down the inside of your cup during the pour and see if the taste is different for you.

Now ... if you want to make a YouTube video showing off your shot, then most people want to show inches of crema atop a thin layer of liquid.  And it sure does show off how fresh the coffee is and it looks pretty impressive.  

I find I still really enjoy my home roasts even when they are 2 weeks+ post roast and are showing thinner layers of crema - the mouthfeel is less - and I do really enjoy the creamy mouthfeel of the fresher roast with thick crema - but I also really enjoy the flavor of 2 week post roast with less crema.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012, 3:12pm

With all due respect, wouldn't this Hamlet-ish question be easily answered by yourself, pulling two shots and "skimming" one but not the other?  Then you could see first hand which YOU prefer, which might be different than what I or others prefer.  It is, after all, a matter of PPP (personal palate preference), is it not?

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012, 4:00pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

.... easily answered by yourself....

Posted June 25, 2012 link

I see this answer to many questions on this board.  Again, with respect, but is this not just a way to stifle discussion.  Just as educators encourage their students that "There are no stupid questions" (and yes, the reply is often "yea, just stupid people" or "Yea, just stupid answers".....) I would agree that these types of questions do bring up interesting discussion points, even if you aren't interested in trying it out for yourself.

We could all find out the answers to many of the questions that we ask, but if we all did that, coffeegeek would only be a forum to show off espresso shrines.  In this particular instance, I too would find it weird to skim the crema on my shots, even if I thought they tasted better, unless I could get some affirmation from others that I wasn't totally crazy.  It does make sense to some degree that skimming could have some merit, but I've never thought about it or heard about it before.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012, 4:41pm

SteamPunk Said:

There seems to be an opinion out there, that the beautiful crema should be skimmed off after pulling a shot.
This is supposed to be due to the fact that the creama is bitter, and why would you want to add a bitter
flavour to something truly magical, if you can leave it out?

Anyhow I suppose it's all a matter of personal taste, but I think it's a very important consideration that hasn't really much been addressed?

Posted June 23, 2012 link

If you shaved the beard off the bearded lady can you still call her the bearded lady?

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BeanLink
BeanLink
Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012, 12:53pm

Is there a way to pick both? I have had amazing espresso through both methods.

After browsing the Coffee Collective site, I found this:

Click Here (coffeecollective.blogspot.ca)

Up until that point, I stuck by some strict guidelines on how to make and troubleshoot espresso. Afterwards my opinion changed and it really opened me up to experimenting, creating a mix of tasty and god awful shots. Without that experimenting though, I probably wouldn't be writing on this board, and building some really wicked new devices to brew.

Id suggest trying it for yourself. Dial in a coffee and split the shot. Just make sure to cleanse your good ol palate in between.

Destination Coffee at your Doorstep
www.beanlink.me
bittersweet101

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Jul 1, 2012, 11:58pm

According to the study of James Hoffman (barista), crema should be skimmed.
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Jul 2, 2012, 3:12am

If I skimmed the crema there would only be an empty shot glass left behind...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
aecletec

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Presso
Grinder: Faema A6
Drip: Chemex
Posted Mon Jul 2, 2012, 5:08am

EricBNC Said:

If I skimmed the crema there would only be an empty shot glass left behind...

Posted July 2, 2012 link

Indeed... how long is one meant to wait? ;)
I've had good tasting crema and not so good tasting crema. Good shots with lots of crema, good shots with very little crema.
I think that skimming (if any) should be on a 'per shot' basis...
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > To Skim or not...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.318845033646)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+