Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
idiots guide to pulling consistent shots?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > idiots guide to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 6:28am
Subject: Re: idiots guide to pulling consistent shots?

The importance of tamping has indeed been overrated. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's superfluous, but compared to the quality of grinding its influence on percolation time and taste in the cup is minimal. Tamping with exactly 30 lb used to be the gospel, so a lot of people were actually practicing with a scale to adjust their feeling. In the end there's a physical limit to how hard you can compress the grounds, because when the coffee granules are compressed so firmly that they all touch and cannot move any closer without using a steam roller there's no sense in tamping any harder. And you can always compensate a lighter tamp by grinding finer.

In practice that means tamp until you get the impression that there's no more change in the puck, i.e. as hard as you can.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 11:15am

mig Said:

Let's pretend I don't understand the difference. ;-)  Can you elaborate please?

Posted June 20, 2012 link

accuracy means being able to hit your target

precision means being able to do it the same every time

if you're accurate, but not precise, you'll get it where you want some of the time, but not all of the time.  if you're precise, but not accurate, you'll get  it the same every time, but not where you want it.  What you really need is both.  classic examples to illustrate the difference are shooting arrows at a target with concentric rings.  you want a tight grouping (precision) right in the center of the bullseye (accuracy).  if you're tight grouping is in the outer ring, but in an area the size of a quarter, you have great precision, but lousy accuracy.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
greattemper
greattemper

Espresso: Andreja Premium by quickmill
Grinder: Lelit
Roaster: Popcorn
Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 7:43pm

great explanation... I like it, I'll vote for you.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 12:49pm

thanks!  I'll let you know if I'm ever running for anything :)

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
mig

Espresso: Rocket Espresso Giotto...
Grinder: Mazza Mini
Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012, 2:25am

Well I most definitely have not been paying enough attention to temperature.  I found a helpful article on temperature management for E61/HX, and I am quite certain my cooling flushes have been too short.  That likely explains why my first shot always sucks and the second is much better.  I will likely invest in Eric's thermometer at some point but that almost feels like cheating, and my technique is still so poor that fine tuning isn't going to help yet.  Gotta walk before I can run.

Can't wait until morning so I can practice again!  Pulling shots at 3AM is probably a bad idea.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012, 7:51am

mig Said:

I will likely invest in Eric's thermometer at some point but that almost feels like cheating, and my technique is still so poor that fine tuning isn't going to help yet.  Gotta walk before I can run.

Posted June 30, 2012 link

I think that is a silly attitude. Why not disable the speedometer and oil pressure gauges in your car then? Brew temperatures of 1 degree difference can be tasted by experienced users, and two degrees can be easily sensed. If nothing else, this thread has established that consistency is the key to improving your espresso. That means controlling all the variables you possibly can. Temperature is a big factor and the E-61 cooling flush sets the foundation for that first shot after the machine has been idling. I have been using Eric's thermometer for about five years and have found it indispensable. Every factor that you can control is one less variable to deal with.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mig

Posted Sat Jul 7, 2012, 5:55pm

I am more than convinced.  I placed an order for a thermometer today.

The more I learn the more ignorant I realize I am.
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Sat Jul 7, 2012, 6:23pm

mig Said:

The more I learn the more ignorant I realize I am.

Posted July 7, 2012 link

Mig pal, that's been my mantra for the past few years lol.
jmreeves

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: pasquini livia
Grinder: baratza vario
Posted Sun Jul 8, 2012, 3:35am

mig Said:

Let's pretend I don't understand the difference. ;-)  Can you elaborate please?

Posted June 20, 2012 link

If the goal is say "25lbs of pressure" it is more important that you consistently hit 15lbs rather than fluctuating between 20 and 40 lbs trying to reach the "ideal tamp pressure"

edit: doh- too slow
mig

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 4:36pm

Received and installed Eric's thermometer three days ago.  Holy crap, my previous attempts at temperature management weren't even close.  I wonder how anyone uses a HX without a thermometer?  I guess its all about practice and learning the behavior of your machine.  I feel the thermometer should be standard equipment included with every E61 machine.

So yay, I have now achieved reasonable consistency.  Next up, fine tuning my shots.  My previous attempts at adjusting the grind were all over the place but that was before I had any control over temperature or dose, so now I get to start all over again.  Currently I am hitting the blonding point at ~25 seconds but only pulling 40ml with a 16g dose.  Time to loosen the grind I suppose but then I worry that it will blond too soon.  Well, there's only one way to find out!

This journey is longer than I anticipated but I feel like I am learning something new every day.
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > idiots guide to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.349064826965)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+