Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
idiots guide to pulling consistent shots?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > idiots guide to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
mig

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Espresso Giotto...
Grinder: Mazza Mini
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 6:26pm
Subject: Re: idiots guide to pulling consistent shots?

BlueHawk Said:

Wonder over all wonders: My first real espresso tasted like Heaven - far better than any espresso I have tasted in Italy or France.

The next 20 shots varied fra bad to awfull

Posted June 15, 2012 link

LOL, that was pretty much my experience as well.  I just burned through a pound of high quality beans in 24 hours, but I am starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel.  Maybe the next bag will last a bit longer. :)
 View Profile Link to this post
mr_pedro

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 7:19pm

Looks like you are well on your way. Another thing you can do, rather than looking at the volume of the shot, is to weigh it. For a 15g dose I like my shots in the 15g~20g range, but you can also go towards the 30g for a regular espresso. All of these shots should be in about 25s~30s, the only difference is the grind. So with each coffee you should experiment a little to what you like best.

I don't know what you mean with not having a clue how to adjust the grinder, it is all done with trial and error at the begining. So if one shot is going too fast, you grind the next a bit finer. But as you see, this method only works if you can keep all else constant, that is why weiging the dose is important.
greattemper
greattemper

Espresso: Andreja Premium by quickmill
Grinder: Lelit
Roaster: Popcorn
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 10:30pm

mig Said:

I am pleased to report that not only is it repeatable, but its delicious!  The single biggest adjustment I made since starting this thread is to dose by weight.  In theory I should be able to control the dose with the grinder timer, but now that I am starting to "taste" success, I'm not going to mess with it.

Glad to hear you had the force on your side after all.
Now you  will see how your performance even increases over time.
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 9:46am

I have this scale, which does a great job. I use it to both weigh beans and weigh shots at times when I am feeling really compulsive.

I recently used it to weigh a guinea pig to dose an antibiotic!

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 10:38am

sweaner Said:

I have this scale, which does a great job. I use it to both weigh beans and weigh shots at times when I am feeling really compulsive.

I recently used it to weigh a guinea pig to dose an antibiotic!

Posted June 16, 2012 link

Notice any unusual "beans" next weighing? :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
randytsuch

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office with...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Customized Alpenrost,...
Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 6:56pm

I didn't see that anyone answered your question about Eric's adaptor, so here is the "website" link I have for him

http://users.rcn.com/erics/

He used to hang out at Home Barista, not sure if he still does, but you can reach him via email.

I added his adapter shortly after getting my HX machine.  I had a few problems, and he was very helpfull in helping me get things working right.

BTW, I never did get the hang of temp surfing, so I would be lost without his adapter so I can read the grouphead temps.

You already have a good source of beans, get a scale has at least .1g accuracy (mine is .01, overkill), and Eric's adatpter and a digital thermometer and that should help a lot.

Randy
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jun 18, 2012, 5:58am

mig Said:

It is stepless but there are notches for reference - see image below.  At first I was adjusting by 5-6 notches and the result was much more dramatic than I expected.  In fact I have dumped every single shot I've ever tried when *not* using the factory setting, so I am disinclined to mess with it anymore until I know what I am doing and/or have a compelling reason.

I started weighing my beans this morning in an effort to regulate the dose and thus far the two shots I pulled with factory grinder settings have been decent - certainly good enough for a latte.  For distribution I tried stirring with a paper clip - not quite WDT since I don't have a funnel but a step in that direction.  I assume my unlevel tamping is also a contributing factor.

I only had to dump 60% of my shots this morning.  Definitely better than yesterday.  Maybe I should temporarily switch to decaf so I can get more practice! :D  Just kidding.  I think.

When adjusting a Mazzer, SMALL movements make a big difference. Try moving the ring in the smallest possible movements. A move that is almost nothing will make a difference of a few seconds in a shot. The adjustment lever screwed into the ring really helps with small movements. Do not move more than about half of a "bump" on the adjustment ring at a time and when you are close, move it the smallest amount you possibly can to bring it in.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 11:45am

mig Said:

I am glad to hear that tamping pressure isn't as important as I had been led to believe, since that seems pretty difficult to control with any kind of accuracy.

With regard to tamping, accuracy isn't as important as precision.
mig

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 12:13am

calblacksmith Said:

When adjusting a Mazzer, SMALL movements make a big difference.

Posted June 18, 2012 link

Yup.  I had to make adjustments this morning when I switched to a different type of bean and ended up dumping 2 shots.  One bump made the difference between 10ml in 30 seconds and 55ml in 26 seconds.  I do wish it wasn't so sensitive but its just a matter of getting used to it.
mig

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 12:14am

takeshi Said:

With regard to tamping, accuracy isn't as important as precision.

Posted June 20, 2012 link

Let's pretend I don't understand the difference. ;-)  Can you elaborate please?
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > idiots guide to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.397038936615)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+