Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
VST Baskets and side-channeling
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > VST Baskets and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JimmiCliff

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 10:40am
Subject: VST Baskets and side-channeling

So i've been having some issues with side-channeling or rim-channeling - not sure what the proper term is - basically, when I look at the puck after a shot, there's generally a collection of holes (3 to 10) around the edge. During extraction, there's sometimes early blonding around the outside edge of the basket.

I'm using 20 gram VST baskets, dosing 19.5 to 20.5 grams from a k30, leveling with some curved plastic, getting extractions within normal time/weight values, tamping with a 58.4mm flat base.

Thoughts?
 View Profile Link to this post
fox2000
fox2000
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millenium I
Grinder: Mazzer S.J. Auto & MDX
Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 1:31pm
Subject: Re: VST Baskets and side-channeling

I unfortunately can't help you with this because I am having a similar problem with my setup. I can't figure it out it happens almost everytime. I hope one of the gurus can help us both.
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 4:19pm

I'm certainly no guru, but I've found that sealing the edge is rather important with the VST (which was pointed out to me by someone on CG). I've remedied it by using a bit of nutating motion. Since integrating that in, I really haven't gotten any side channeling.

Hope it helped!

-Dave-
JimmiCliff

Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 5:47pm

I haven't tried actually nutating, but when I've been distributing with the plastic I've gone so far as to make exaggerated pushes out towards the edge of the basket, to the point of almost losing coffee over the edge, to make sure that there's a good amount of grounds out there. But I'll try nutating tomorrow.
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 7:12pm

TheSunInsideYou Said:

.... a bit of nutating motion.

Posted June 20, 2012 link

+1 on nutating. Plus, it is a fantabulous word.
JimmiCliff

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 1:01pm

Thanks Dave, I tried that out and it helped. There were still some side channels occasionally, but it was definitely better.
fox2000
fox2000

Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 3:02pm

I have been nutating I am sure my technique is lacking as I am still new to this but I am also wondering if grind settings could be the problem? I am struggling with proper extractions I can get the time right and the taste good sometimes but even when I get those right I still get some channeling often side channeling. I am using a super jolly and a millenium so I doubt its equipment failure I am using 7day roasted paladino blend. I know I am making this all way to complicated but.... I am using WDT (partially) to break up clumps and spread, 17.7 dose, 200-202 f , and also the nutating motion after I spread the grounds using the stockfleth move attempting to make the sides more dense. Then I slide the convex tamper down the sides lightly to push grinds down and avoid tapping. I lay the tamper with no pressure in the basket to check evenness if its not even I gently push to even then I tamp 30-35lbs. The puck doesn't touch the screen prior to extraction but after I can see a slight indent of the screen in the middle of the puck. After all of that work I almost always get a little pin hole channeling and maybe 70% have side channeling? Any advice would be much appreciated.
fwtechwiz

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Posted Sat Jun 23, 2012, 3:09am

I've found with nutation, it's practice, practice, practice...  Don't have any experience with the VST baskets, but I would assume since the VST is prone to edge channelling, the nutation move would need to be pretty extreme.  Try maintaining at least a 30 degree slant on the tamper while nutating, rotating three or four times around.  Lift the tamper, check the edge, you should see an upward curve.  Ideally the tamper should be very close to almost touching the sides, if it's too small you will need to do a N-S-E-W tamp to get the edges tamped down.  Otherwise, one strong tamp, straight down should do it.
fox2000
fox2000

Posted Sat Jun 23, 2012, 1:54pm

OK so I tried the nutating basically on its own with a quick clump break up because I had 1 large clump and a non pressured level. Low and behold I had my first drinkable shot in a while. Its funny when I first got all my gear I would get some pin holes and some side channeling but the shots would still be good. In hopes of fixing those small issues I created a ridiculously long routine that gave me horrible shots. I have come to the conclusion that using several distribution/ leveling techniques actually does more harm than good. Thank you for your help (reality check) :)
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Sat Jun 23, 2012, 2:16pm

Awesome! I'm glad it worked out for you! Happy to help.

-Dave-
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > VST Baskets and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.272748947144)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+