Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Luongo -- why so little love?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Luongo -- why so...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
BarryR

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Sat Jun 2, 2012, 11:17am
Subject: Luongo -- why so little love?

It seems like luongos get way less attention (and praise) here than Americanos.
I like straight espresso, but sometimes I need something that I can sip and will last longer than two minutes. Also, if I have more than a couple espressos, I get rather thirsty and sometimes just want something more diluted.

Over the past month (which is how long I've had an espresso machine) I've been making Americanos often. I like them, but they're a bit thin and watery -- probably from all the water that's added ; )
I can enjoy an occasional cappucino, but I prefer my coffee unadulterated. Lattes are too light for me.

So, finally today, I remembered to try a Luongo. I used 8 gms of Brazilian coffee and 8 gms of sumatran decaf. I used a very slightly coarser grind than usual and pulled a 60 second shot (got a little more than 5 oz). The result was a rich, full bodied and highly enjoyable cup with a nice crema on top.

I'll be experimenting further with luongos but was wondering if there are any fans out there and any particular tips for good luongos?

Also, are Americanos better-liked by many and why?
 View Profile Link to this post
frankthecrank

Posted Sun Jun 3, 2012, 8:30am
Subject: Re: Luongo -- why so little love?

I tend to make americanos more often. I can get a cup that is as good as one made with my chemex by using a Bialetti moka pot. It is so good I can't think of any reason to change my order of ingredients. And since I use cream and sugar I doin't need to see the crema. Again I must reiterate the old command that fresh beans are key. Americanos are underrated it seems to me. I've tried a long black or two using my Gaggia Classic but I keep going back to my old standby--moka first, water after.
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Sun Jun 3, 2012, 1:02pm

Just a thought, and not to pick on you or anything, but have you tried searching for the correct spelling - lungo? I'm not well-versed in the amount of content covering lungos on this site, but removing that first o may aid your search. Cheers!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Jun 4, 2012, 7:53am

BarryR Said:

I used 8 gms of Brazilian coffee and 8 gms of sumatran decaf. I used a very slightly coarser grind than usual and pulled a 60 second shot (got a little more than 5 oz). The result was a rich, full bodied and highly enjoyable cup with a nice crema on top.

I'll be experimenting further with luongos but was wondering if there are any fans out there and any particular tips for good luongos?

Posted June 2, 2012 link

Yes, as Steve said, if you search for lungo, rather than luongo, you should get many more hits, as it would be the correct spelling.

standard espresso lungo is about 2-3 oz for a single shot, so you're pulling about twice that from a single shot.  There are a lot of terms out there that describe the kind of drink your having.  The problem is that everyone seems to have their own definition, when it comes to anything but the standards.  Whether your drink is a long lungo, strong americano, long black or something else, I don't really know.  Having said all that, I suspect there are lots of others, particularly those who say they like americanos, who prefer just what you're describing.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
wsikes
wsikes

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Promac MD-64 AT
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Jun 4, 2012, 8:18am

emradguy Said:

Yes, as Steve said, if you search for lungo, rather than luongo, you should get many more hits, as it would be the correct spelling.

standard espresso lungo is about 2-3 oz for a single shot, so you're pulling about twice that from a single shot.  There are a lot of terms out there that describe the kind of drink your having.  The problem is that everyone seems to have their own definition, when it comes to anything but the standards.  Whether your drink is a long lungo, strong americano, long black or something else, I don't really know.  Having said all that, I suspect there are lots of others, particularly those who say they like americanos, who prefer just what you're describing.

Posted June 4, 2012 link

Good point!  I suspect that some of my "Americanos" are actually borderline lungos, as I tend to make longer pulls occasionally.

Bill
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Mon Jun 4, 2012, 4:31pm

After more reading (by searching for Lungo), it may be a Cafe Crema that I'm really after (about 6 oz beverage, not 3oz) and did a search on that and found some helpful info.
Thanks!
Alfonso

Espresso: Cremina '67, Unic Diva Pro,...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Rancilio Rocky,...
Vac Pot: Hario Technica , AeroPress
Drip: Melitta Clarity, Bodum...
Roaster: OvenToaster Drumroaster,...
Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 9:23am

Yes you are correct. You are making a swiss caffe crema.

Its the usual cafe you get out of the earlier superautomatics.
toiler

Espresso: Breville 990XL
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 2:42pm

I agree with you Barry! I have been pouring these out of my Saeco Aroma for the past decade. The pressurized  portafilter keeps the drink creamy. My old burr grinder gave up the ghost, so I am trying to make drinks with a de pressurized filter. Perhaps I like bitter beans.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Luongo -- why so...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.284219026566)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+