Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
RANCILIO SILVIA OVERHEATING
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > RANCILIO SILVIA...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
mr_pedro

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 2:01pm
Subject: Re: RANCILIO SILVIA OVERHEATING

It is a bit unclear if anything is wrong with the machine, basically you say that
1) the machine feels hot from the outside and
2) you haven't been able to pull a decent shot.

However, machine feeling hot on the outside is normal and not being able to pull a decent shot is also normal for the inexperienced user and can have many causes.

So as a start maybe you can describing what is wrong with the shot?
Also, how big is the dose and how much is coming out in how many seconds?
 View Profile Link to this post
MURTOSA75

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: RANCILIO SILVIA
Grinder: ROCKY
Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 9:46am

HELLO,THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE RANCILIO.I RECENTLY REPLACED AN O RING ON THE BOILER FOR MY 8 YEAR OLD SAECO CLASSICO,AND NOW THE PORTAFILTER DOES  NOT ENGAGE PROPERLY.I'M CLUELESS,ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED.............THANK YOU
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 10:17am

I would check if it is the right way in and the right one. If it is then you might have to seat it better or something is warped.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 10:20am

Whatever happened with your Rancilio?

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
MURTOSA75

Espresso: RANCILIO SILVIA
Grinder: ROCKY
Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 4:17pm

IT'S JUST SITTING ON THE COUNTERTOP STARING AT ME...LOL
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 10:21pm

First of all, I'll just get it out there.. Typing in all capitals is like shouting. It is bad netiquette.

The only other people I know who use caps lock all the time are people who are disabled and use special input devices to
put text into the computer, I can sympathize with them and I understand this limitation because I've supported them. If
you are disabled, please let us know. Otherwise I apologize if I have offended you.

Second, It is also bad netiquette to try and roll up multiple questions into the single post if they're completely unrelated
to the original post. It would make it easier for people to search for your issue and you'd be likely to get more help.

Third, If someone asks a question to you, you really should answer it. Two members have asked you questions relating
to your issue and you haven't answered them. If you're not answering their posts, what's the point of even asking your
question to start with? Nobody on the board can just magically guess what your problem is without any information.

Now, since I own a Silvia, I feel that I'm somewhat qualified to provide you with some answers.

If the machine has been left on for a while, it is normal for the sides and top of the machine do get quite hot to the touch,
but they don't get so hot they burn me. Can you put your hands on the machine without getting burnt?

Next, I know that I can open the steam valve and nothing (Or very little) will come out of the steam wand if I've been
letting it sit for a while. If your machine is stuck on the steam thermostat, the wand will produce steam with the steam
switch off. If the machine is overheating, the safety thermostat will kick in and shut the whole machine down. Is this
happening to you?

Probably a better thing to do is to demonstrate this to us in a video what exactly you are doing. You need fresh roasted
beans to even start. You should be using a combination of dose and grind to get a shot which gets you about 2 fl.oz of
coffee after about 18-25 seconds. Adjust your grind and your dose to taste.

BTW, You didn't mention that you are tamping. You ARE tamping your coffee down before you are starting your shot, right?
The Silvia doesn't use pressurized baskets, but it does have a pod adapter kit that you can buy if you want to use that instead.
Your Silvia should have come with a cheap plastic tamper, which you should be replacing with a proper 58 mm tamper.

Here's where you start.... Start with a grind setting on your Rocky which produces a fine powderish coffee, but is a little
course. Use that as your baseline setting for your grinder. This is where you should start out. For my grinder, it's about
the "12" setting, but yours may be a little different depending on how it was calibrated. Grind 16.0 grams of coffee,
tamp down with 30 lbs of force (Use a bathroom scale to find out how hard that is) and deliberately make a sink shot. You
should get 2 fl.oz of coffee in about 10 seconds or less.

Then throw the shot away, move the grinder about 2 notches finer. Make another shot. Note to see if it takes longer. If it
doesn't, establish that setting as your new baseline and keep going. Do this enough times and eventually you will make a
choker. (ie. Nothing comes out, or very little comes out.) If you can't make a choker, then your coffee is stale.

Now, back the grinder up 1 notch courser after you make your choker and try again using a 14.0 gram dose instead. If you
get another choker, back the grinder up another notch courser and try again. Note how long it takes for you to make your shot.
You should get a fast shot, but not a gusher. This will be drinkable if you like making lungo shots.

Then, once you are getting shots around the 15-18 second mark, bump up your dosage, from 14 to 15 then to 16 grams to
slow down the rate of pour. If you have to go up to 17 grams  to get a decent pour, go one notch finer and start back at 14
grams. You kind of have to play around with it until you find a combination which works.

With one particular set of beans I had, I started out with a 15.7 gram dose and near the end of the lifespan of the beans, I
bumped up to a 16.1 gram dose to get the same rate of pour without having to change the grind settings.

Don't mess with the single basket just yet, focus on using the double basket first until you get the hang of how your grinder
works and how the dosing affects your pour rate.

Get us video and SHOW us exactly what is going on. Give us information please! Detail your routine and write down how you are
doing it so that we have a better idea of what is going on!

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 10:50pm

One other thing I should mention quickly, I'd like to break it into another post here...

The Rocky grinder has a bit of a limitation...

I've personally found that I get about two steps of adjustment where I have the right
grind for espresso. (It is different with every supplier of beans I use.) The courser step requires a
heavier dose and the finer step requires a lighter dose to get the same shot volume.

If I go outside of those steps, I either end up with a choker or a gusher.

Other grinders on the market are much more refined and either use lots of very small steps or they
lack them completely. Those that use those grinders never have to adjust their dosage at all to
get the shot they want. They can just adjust the grind rather than the dosage.

Some coffee geeks will tell you that certain coffees work well with a 14 gram dosage, while other
coffees provide a better taste at a 16 gram dosage.

Since the Rocky has this stepped limitation, the Rocky dictates to you what that dose should be.

In other words, you can't dose 14/16 grams exactly and get a perfectly timed shot. (If you do, you
are lucky!) Rather, you have to dose for "Whatever works" .. and if that happens to be 15.7 grams
for the grind setting you are using, then so be it. Ideally, a double shot should be as close to 16 grams
as possible. (Or 14 grams, depending on your tastes.)

Now, I'm horrendously off-topic and I'm going to stop here.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 8:13am

Last 2 posts by Bud, +1

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > RANCILIO SILVIA...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.249269008636)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+