Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Nespresso?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Nespresso?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MARIOBARBA
MARIOBARBA
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Ascaso DUO Prof TRONIC
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 9:38am
Subject: Re: Nespresso?

Dude, how hot does it get in Washington state?  It was well over 85F here this week and I had no problem making a ton of espresso and espresso based drinks for guests.  In July, the temps here break 100F when you factor in humidity and i still would never trade  my espresso for what a Nespresso machine spits out.
 View Profile Link to this post
PamelaF

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 10:55am

Bloomingdales also carries the machines.  Stores are usually more than happy to hand out samples.   I have had my machine (D290) for 6 years and finally made the move into the real world (Duetto 2 to arrive tomorrow).  It takes less than a minute to warm up, and  Nespresso is convenient and does provide caffeine.   It may suffice with milk based drinks.  I am probably hanging on to mine for emergencies.    You can pick one up on eBay for around $125 - $150.  Good luck!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 11:58am

I see lots of cheap used capsule machines on craigslist.  I think people think they will use them more or don't factor in the capsule costs.  I probably would not buy this type of thing new, as I don't think you will use it as much as you think you will.

Mario, it doesn't get that hot here.  Maybe a few days in the 80's.  Very rarely ever see 90.  The problem is you get used to the cold so the hot is hotter.  When I lived in Tx 114 was nothing but now mid 80s bothers me.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 1:36pm

Food for thought: I know of a few Nespresso fans who now seem to prefer CBTL, the capsules for which contain more coffee, are more widely available (Amazon, BBB, Target), and are somewhat cheaper.
JDHarding
JDHarding

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Pro, CBTL...
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MDX,...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Hario v60
Roaster: Behmor, Fresh Roast
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 2:53pm

CBTL costs more. Nespresso is $6 per 10, CBTL is $7 per 10. I don't know how much more coffee CBTL capsules hold comparatively.

Update: I decided to purchase the CBTL since their capsule system seems to hold more coffee/espresso than Nespresso does, which makes for better espresso shots. I believe they're 7 gram capsules. Nespresso is only 5 gram capsules.

The Video Game Music Place - www.vgmplace.com
The Sonic Corner - www.soniccorner.com
JD Harding . org - www.jdharding.org
MARIOBARBA
MARIOBARBA

Espresso: Ascaso DUO Prof TRONIC
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 4:58pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

Mario, it doesn't get that hot here.  Maybe a few days in the 80's.  Very rarely ever see 90.  The problem is you get used to the cold so the hot is hotter.  When I lived in Tx 114 was nothing but now mid 80s bothers me.

Posted May 28, 2012 link

Get used to the cold?  We get down to -40 here (f or C, at -40 they are the same :))

As soon as it hits 15C here everyone walk aroundn town half naked, not that I'm complaining.
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 5:33pm

JDHarding Said:

CBTL costs more. Nespresso is $6 per 10, CBTL is $7 per 10. I don't know how much more coffee CBTL capsules hold comparatively.

Update: I decided to purchase the CBTL since their capsule system seems to hold more coffee/espresso than Nespresso does, which makes for better espresso shots. I believe they're 7 gram capsules. Nespresso is only 5 gram capsules.

Posted May 28, 2012 link

Good choice since it can make coffee and espresso too. I picked up a Kaldi from Amazon for a decent price and I do like and use mine for convenience. I get up at 0445 and roll out the door at 0530 the days I work - a quick shot (super fast on the Kaldi if I leave it on standby/sleep mode) without much fuss is nice.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 6:45pm

JDHarding Said:

Posted May 28, 2012 link

Cool. Hope you enjoy! There are ways to get your CBTL costs down (Amazon S&S, BBB 20% off coupons, etc.). Also, according to the chart here the CBTL capsules contain 8 g. of coffee on average vs. Nespresso's 5.5 g.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 10:29pm

JDHarding Said:

I'm thinking about getting a Nespresso machine so I can make espresso during these hot days ...

Posted May 26, 2012 link

A cup of Nespresso tastes better than the average cup of drip coffee made from stale pre-ground coffee bought at the supermarket. But whatever it is (IMHO it's an approximation), it's not espresso no matter what advertising tells you. The capsules contain 5 g of ground coffee, and a Nespresso espresso is around 50 ml. So it's the wrong dose and the wrong volume to start with. I don't know about the actual brewing pressure (the maximum pressure that can be delivered by the pump will give you no clue), but I find it hard to believe that a punctured capsule can actually bear 9 bar shout breaking. In my experience a Nespresso lacks body and doesn't have a real crema. It's comparable to using a pressurized portafilter.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
carlsilver

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola/La...
Grinder: la Pavoni Jolly/Ascaso i...
Vac Pot: Normax
Drip: Melitta (manual)
Roaster: no
Posted Tue May 29, 2012, 5:45am

NobbyR Said:

The capsules contain 5 g of ground coffee, and a Nespresso espresso is around 50 ml. .

Posted May 28, 2012 link

40 ml is the standard but you can make as little as you want

NobbyR Said:

In my experience a Nespresso lacks body and doesn't have a real crema.

Posted May 28, 2012 link

+1

NobbyR Said:

It's comparable to using a pressurized portafilter.

Posted May 28, 2012 link

With some work and patience a pressurized pf can beat Nespresso
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Nespresso?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.387861967087)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+