Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Froze beans 2 days after roasting but have question
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Froze beans 2...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
tealboy1

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Starbuck Athena Barista
Grinder: B Vario
Vac Pot: Bodum Press
Drip: Cuisinart but don't use
Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 2:34pm
Subject: Froze beans 2 days after roasting but have question

I was rushing out of town and not sure what to do, so I took my new 5 lb bag of beans, poured a few in a travel pouch and stuck the rest of the 5 lb bag in the freezer where they've been for a week.  I did this within 2 days of the orig roast.  I realize i should store them in small ziplocks or mason jars, but for now, should I tape the valve shut?  I left it unsealed b/c the beans were fresh and I was worried about gas/pressure but at this point, am i past that problem?  

In hindsight, I should have let them degass for a few days, then packed in indiv ziplocks and froze but too late.  Just wondering what i can do at this stage
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 3:19pm
Subject: Re: Froze beans 2 days after roasting but have question

I would not thaw them or let them get condensation on them.  I personally would tape the valve, if you can split up the bag without letting them get moisture from the air that might be good.  Either way you have to open that bag to get some out to use them... so I guess you should split it to limit the how exposed they get.  I normally get beans at day 3-4 and split and freeze at that point in smaller bags so I am only thawing a tiny bit at a time. Freezing just slows down aging it doesn't stop it.  I feel like the aging is faster after freezing so that is why I do smaller amounts.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 7:11pm

I had a bag of beans in the freezer I wanted to break down.  I put some mason jars in the freezer for a couple of hours, then did all the bag opening and jar filling as far in the freezer as I could, then sealed the jars and left them in there.  It seemed t work fine and I've actually opened one of the jars already - and it was fine.  I wouldn't worry about the bag exploding if you decide to tape over the valve at this point.  I'd probably be more concerned the tape won't stick well.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Tue May 22, 2012, 9:39am

Good advice above.

Look at it this way, if you try and go through the rest of your beans in the big bag you will expose those beans many times to condensation and oxygen plus temp swings. If you just break it down all at once you limit the exposure and IMO have little to no problems.

Tape over a one way valve is about not letting moisture get to the valve and it prevents any aromas in the freezer to pass into the coffee bag. Not all one way valve are created equal, some are down right useless or the same as a hole poked in the bag. Freezing coffee halts degassing to almost nothing so bags expanding in a freezer is not likely to happen.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Froze beans 2...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.231467008591)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+