Espresso: Questions and Answers
Tamper/accessories for use with Expobar Lever Plus
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > ...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mtcummins

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Cheapo 12 cup
Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 5:37pm
Subject: Tamper/accessories for use with Expobar Lever Plus

I'm about to buy an Office Lever or Lever Plus, and have done some searching of old forums, and it seems that the majority of Expobar Office Control users think that Convex tampers were the way to go with their machines.  Just wondering if this holds true with the Lever/Brewtus models as well, as they're a little different and have a slightly different brewgroup?  

I'm not interested in a rehash of the flat vs convex debate, just people's personal experience with flat or convex with Expobar E61s/PFs in particular.  

Is there any other suggestions you'd have to help get this newbie going faster (this is my first machine, jumping in fast) working with an Expobar Lever and Baratza Vario?  I've only worked with super-autos before, so I've been researching like crazy to learn all I can before I get a machine, so I don't screw it up or just have an unnecessarily long/wasteful adjustment to the world of semi-autos.  

I plan on getting:
  1. a decent tamper (suggestions of flat/convex as well as brand?  Def want SS bottom)
  2. a naked PF
  3. a 12 or 20oz frothing pitcher (or maybe both? suggestions?  I do a lot of milk drinks, hence starting with an HX to steam and pull simultaniously)
  4. steaming thermometer (already bought)
  5. tamping pad (thoughts about the Rattleware Grinder Tray/Tamp pad combo from WLL or Chris'?)
  6. cafelat SS knock box (found one used on ebay for less than half price, already bought)
  7. lined shot glass for dialing in shots
  8. a set of Bodum double wall shot glasses (already bought)
  9. various latte/cappa cups and such.  
  10. E61 cleaning brush and backflushing detergent.  Any other cleaners I'll need?  What do people use to keep their SS all shiny and purdy?

Any thoughts about adding a thermometer to the brew group?  I've heard its very beneficial on these HX E61s, but is it really worth the $100 or so?

I know there's a lot in this post.  I've done a lot of research already and am not asking you guys to just do all the work for me, but thought I'd ask for some general input on my overall plan, as well as any specific advice you may have as far as equipment that I will likely want/need.  I'm willing to spend money on things that are worth it, but I will be stretching myself a bit here to get good stuff.  Therefore, I can't do the "just buy both tampers and see what you like" kind of suggestions, or spend a lot of money on things that make a very small difference.  At least not yet...

Finally, anyone know any good local roasters in Pittsburgh, PA?  I like Black Cat, which I can get pretty fresh at a local coffee shop, but would like to try some local blends.  Len, I know you advertise roasts in Pgh, I sent you an email, not sure if you got it.  Any other good ones out there I should be looking into?

Thanks everyone, you all have taught me worlds already (or I wouldn't have known what half that stuff I just wrote meant).  

-Mike
 View Profile Link to this post
mtcummins

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Cheapo 12 cup
Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 6:53pm
Subject: Re: Tamper/accessories for use with Expobar Lever Plus

Anyone have any experience with this ebay seller (or is one of you this ebay seller? haha)... One of his items linked below:
Click Here (www.ebay.com)

Seems nice, 2 piece tampers, your choice of flat or convex (as well as some ribbed things... anyone have any idea what that's supposed to do?) at a good price.  Would allow for a future head replacement keeping the same handle.  

He also has a solid SS one at $50.  I kinda like the aluminum handle with the SS head though.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > ...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.193289041519)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+