Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Rancilio sadness - extraction way too fast
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Rancilio sadness...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed May 2, 2012, 9:13am
Subject: Re: Rancilio sadness - extraction way too fast

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

I presume by now you know what your problem is.

Posted May 2, 2012 link

LOL ! ! !
Thanks for that! You made my morning!

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed May 2, 2012, 2:56pm

Thanks, Randy -- my BIG fear is the OP will go out and buy a grinder without seeking advice or doing research . . . like just grabbing a Rocky . . . and then concluding the lack of a grinder didn't make a difference!

JasonBrandtLewis: eek4.gif

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed May 2, 2012, 6:48pm

This poor guy will never come back.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Stuart

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Air Crazy popper
Posted Thu May 3, 2012, 10:55am

Just to be contrary: One can use a Bunn commercial coffee grinder between the Espresso and Turkish settings and produce a coffee powder that will give correct (or even too-long) extraction times on an espresso machine.

That the result is an extraction in the proper time doesn't mean it's a proper extraction. Or any good.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do the occasional cup of decaf, now that I know the evils of keeping roasted beans around for weeks, or ground beans around for hours. Roast-on-demand in a popcorn popper, perhaps.
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Thu May 3, 2012, 12:56pm

Stuart Said:

Just to be contrary: One can use a Bunn commercial coffee grinder between the Espresso and Turkish settings and produce a coffee powder that will give correct (or even too-long) extraction times on an espresso machine.

That the result is an extraction in the proper time doesn't mean it's a proper extraction. Or any good.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do the occasional cup of decaf, now that I know the evils of keeping roasted beans around for weeks, or ground beans around for hours. Roast-on-demand in a popcorn popper, perhaps.

Posted May 3, 2012 link

too long or too short isnt correct.  just right is correct.  the ability to adjust is critical in trying to achieve the "correct" grind.

i can probably grind beans fine enough to choke a machine with a mortar and pestle too...but that doesnt help the original poster...
dirkpitt

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat May 12, 2012, 7:58pm

Thanks for the replies (some were amusing), and .. thanks for the polite welcome JasonBrandtLewis.

I had actually read a lot prior to my first post, but you often don't trust the conflicting opinions until you gain experience. Many reviews that I read stated the Silvia has excess pressure until adjusted...

I still lack experience, but now know what to test for... Yes I have a Rocky on the way.. (have read  mixed reviews on that also, but meh) also fresher grounds have produced better results, although still not ideal. I will test the grinder, then pressure test the machine and tweak it at home if necessary. process seems simple.

I guess as JasonBrandtLewis stated, the worst thing that could happen now is the Rocky not producing the goods. I did spend a great deal of time researching that, and went with what seemed the general consensus (for the Silvia and within my budget). Problem with the internet is that results are somewhat subjective, and everyone has an opinion. http://silviaschool.com/node/6

Thanks again for the replies.
dirkpitt

Posted Sat May 12, 2012, 8:23pm

frcn Said:

I don't want to play jr. admin here, but there is (once again) a bit of a lesson here that might be picked up by other newbies in the future.

dirkpitt, this was your first post. We do not know you so we have no idea as to your experience, mainly because you did not introduce yourself. We have to assume a lot of things, but from the question you posed, we would logically assume that this is your first machine. We do not know if you have ever even drank a straight espresso before, what ground coffee you are using, if the Silvia was new or used, the dose you are using, are you using the single or double basket , how you distribute the coffee, whether you have a proper-fitting tamper, whether or not you are tamping at all, and so many other factors at which we have to guess.

The bad part is that, with your first post, we have to assume that you spent little time doing any research or searches here, and popping in are asking us one of (if not THE) most basic questions there are on virtually any coffee forum, which could have been found with various searches such as:
do I need a grinder?
pre-ground coffee
Fast extractions
How to slow my extraction

The total sum of that is there are people who perceive your genre of post as either a troll or, more often, as coming from someone who does not have the time to look for an answer on their own but is safe in assuming that others have the time to so so for them.

So, before I start coming across as a total *&!$, if you would like to learn more about curing problems making espresso at home, and get a better idea about the entire process, on my website www.EspressoMyEspresso.com, check out this article: 12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME. Something in the neighborhood of 14 typed pages of assistance, written if fairly plain language, aimed at helping folks in situations similar to yours. There is a LOT more on the site as well.

Posted May 1, 2012 link

and

emradguy Said:

This is one of the quickest ways to troubleshoot extraction problems and is very well written.  I highly recommend it.

Posted May 1, 2012 link

Thanks for the link posted here.

I should have worded my post better. I had read your website prior to posting, and revisiting it now that I have experienced a few variations on the machine makes more sense. Thanks again.

PS: After looking at many shot videos on youtube, and frankly most of them aren't great.. I eventually found this clip that helped Click Here (www.youtube.com) second shot seems the best from my limited experience.
dirkpitt

Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 12:58am

Update:

First two shots using the Rocky were too fine for the machine, lovely soft grinds compared to what I have been using. Third attempt with coarser settings worked well, extraction time is great, crema is great - and I concur that pre-ground coffee is good for sweet FA.... good result.

Cheers.
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 7:56am

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

Don't fret too much about the Rocky. It may not be the best grinder for espresso, but it can work. At least it's capable of grinding fine enough.

What you need to know is that the steps of this grinder are pretty wide, so when you dial in your grinder it might happen that from time to time you get stuck in between two steps for proper extraction, which can be pretty frustrating. The only way to work around that problem is to modify your dose slightly, i.e. updosing. That might not be a perfect solution, because a difference of 0.2 g can change taste significantly, but a lot of people have to live with this trick.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
dirkpitt

Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 2:47am

I can see what your saying. I have read that the burrs wear out quite quickly, and may need to be replaced anywhere from 12-24 months?

Its such a big improvement that I am happy right now, but still trying to tune it in. Haven't quite got the shot perfect, and I can see what you mean about the coarse adjustment.

For the most part, I will only be pulling one shot, so it will have to be close enough first time? I have also heard that weather greatly affects the grind and pour. Is that correct? And if so, do you generally grind finer on hot dry days? Coarser on humid ... or something? I guess people get a feel for there setup over time..

Thanks for advice
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Rancilio sadness...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.324481964111)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+