Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Why make such a big deal about tamping @ 30 pounds?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Why make such a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
GlennT

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Kraps Il Primo Steam Wanabe...
Grinder: Baratza Priciso
Drip: Aeropress & "Don't ask don't...
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 1:55pm
Subject: Why make such a big deal about tamping @ 30 pounds?

Many threads emphasize tamping at consistent pressure, sometimes even using a bathroom scale to "dial in" tamping pressure.

Frankly, I don't get it.  I can understand tamping enough to assure the grounds are compressed a bit so they can expand again with the hot water. I understand the need to tamp evenly so the water flows through the PF without channeling through the side with less tamping pressure.

Why worry about Cup A tamped at 20 pounds vs. Cup B tamped at 40 pounds? A 58mm portafilter has ~ 4.1 square inch cross section. Tamping with 20-30 pounds force yields PRESSURES of 5 to 10 psi on the grounds. After that, the grounds get hit with hot water with at least 9 bar or 132 psi of pressure! Why care if the grounds get hit with 4 or 10 psi tamping when they'll just get hit with 130 or more psi of water?

Am I missing something really fundamental here?
 View Profile Link to this post
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 1:58pm
Subject: Re: Why make such a big deal about tamping @ 30 pounds?

Glen, im scratching my head along with you :-)

difference between 5lbs and 50lbs, yeah it will change the flow rate.  Difference between 30 and 35lbs, nah.  It got started then regurgitate.  As long as you're tamping linear and relatively repeatable pressure you're good.

PS.  Kudos to you for questioning it in the first place.  Taking advice from more experienced is great, but at some point we need to know why we're doing what we're doing.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 2:00pm

No, here we (edit, well me anyway) advise to only be consistent, regardless if you use 20 or 50 pounds, just be consistent and all is well. A lot of new people get hung up on tamping and like you said, the exact number is no big deal.

30# is offered as a good rule of thumb, a place to start.
Using a scale allows you to be consistent, thats all.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JDHarding
JDHarding

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Pro, CBTL...
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MDX,...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Hario v60
Roaster: Behmor, Fresh Roast
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 2:17pm

I just saw a video of two 5 year olds making espresso, and tamping it themselves, and I doubt those two reached even 20 pounds of pressure, and still they managed to pull a decent shot. So tamping really doesn't matter as much as people think it does.

The Video Game Music Place - www.vgmplace.com
The Sonic Corner - www.soniccorner.com
JD Harding . org - www.jdharding.org
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 2:21pm

There is a lot of left over flotsam and jetsam from years ago about tamping force. It use to be 35 pounds. It has been shown that anything from 15 to 55 pounds will work great. One respected pro barista weighing in at (well) over 225 pounds says to do a "handstand tamp" (feet off the floor).  And really, if you are in the 30-50 pound tamping pressure range it will be fine, and you don't even have to be that consistent. Try this- get out the scale and tamp on it. Press down with a SLOWLY increasing force, watching the scale's display as well as the movement of the tamper into the basket. Also, pay attention to the "feel" of the compression. You WILL find that after about 30 to 35 pounds nothing (or VERY little) happens. Tamping level counts as exponentially more important than the force used. My current universal advice is that if you find you HAVE to tamp at a very low pressure (less than 10 pounds) or at a very high pressure (over 60 pounds) then you are compensating for other factors that need to be addressed.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 4:46pm

Generally . . . in my experience . . . the more experienced people on this site never say "You must tamp at 30 pounds."  Rather, they say, Be consistent in your tamp.

I've had great shots with virtually no tamp at all, and when it appeared the barista tamped the proverbial heck out of it . . . I don't have a clue what I do, in terms of pounds of pressure per square inch.  It's all muscle memory:  I tamp, it feels right, I stop.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
MARIOBARBA
MARIOBARBA

Espresso: Ascaso DUO Prof TRONIC
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 5:20pm

In Italy, and in Italian coffee bars here in Montreal, baristi don't even use a tamper.  They simply use the plastic appendage on the grinder's doser to level the coffee with an upward motion and lock in the portafilter.  They've been doing it that way since espresso was invented and it was good enough for people all over the world to want to emulate it.  IMO tamping is over rated, I usually just use the tamper to make sure I have an even puck, I hardly pit any pressure at all.

But hey, whatever works for you.

Gandhi once said that there are as many Hinduisms as there are Hindus, I guess that there are as many barista techniques as there are baristi.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 5:29pm

So if one Tampa at 5lbs of pressure and then Tampa at 30lbs of pressure will the flow be almost identical?
AndyPanda
AndyPanda

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 5:52pm

I think it depends on the dose ... at least it seems to me, on my gear.

For example ... if I were to put ... say 10-12 grams of coffee in a standard double basket there would be a big difference between tamping and not tamping -- because the loose coffee would have all that room to move around in a slurry as the water hits it  while a really solid tamp would hold the coffee powder into a puck shape for a longer time with just the top layer getting "soupy"  

But if I put 16-18 grams in there - it would get compressed just by pressing the coffee against the shower screen to lock the PF - and there wouldn't be much difference between tamp and no tamp.  The coffee would be confined between the bottom of the basket and the shower screen and wouldn't be able to move around even though not tamped firmly ... plus as it swells when the water hits it, that will press it even more tightly into its confined space.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 6:03pm

germantownrob Said:

So if one Tampa at 5lbs of pressure and then Tampa at 30lbs of pressure will the flow be almost identical?

Posted April 13, 2012 link

I think 5 is pretty low. Whether 5 pounds is sufficient would depend on a lot of other factors, such as:
- head room
- quality of the grind (some grinders create a fluffy grind in a narrow particle range that seems to compress easier)
- depth of dose in basket
- dose
- water distribution
- if the machine has pre-infusion
- pressure ramping profile

There's one way to find out!  Well.. maybe two.   ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Why make such a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29869389534)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+