Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Why make such a big deal about tamping @ 30 pounds?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Why make such a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Joel_B
Joel_B
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 6:05pm
Subject: Re: Why make such a big deal about tamping @ 30 pounds?

germantownrob Said:

So if one Tampa at 5lbs of pressure and then Tampa at 30lbs of pressure will the flow be almost identical?

Posted April 13, 2012 link

No, but it's not linear. Really light pressure like 5lbs you'll notice a difference at 10 lbs.  but difference between 30 and 40lbs are little to no difference.  Not sure I'm explaining it right, but basically the more the pressure, the less the variance in pressure makes.  Just my experience anyway
 View Profile Link to this post
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 6:12pm

Question folks.  What's been preached here recently (at least year or so) has been basically a simple, consitent tamp. But people are still coming here under the impression that 30lbs is doing something magical.  Where are people still getting this impression?
dougz

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 7:23pm

I just tamp as hard as I frickin can..  That's consistent..  :)
genecounts

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LaSpaz, Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Zass, Baratza Vario,...
Vac Pot: Bodum
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 8:35pm

When I first got my La Spaz alomost two years ago started out purposly tamping 30# according to our scale.  I had fallen for the hype.  After awhile began questing for best possible shots.
Tuned in to La Spaz Owners Forum.
Some extremely knowledgable people taught me to cut my tamp pressure back to 15#.  Why I asked?

Their theory was the portafilter was only 53mm therefore lighter tamp was justified.  Later someone pointed out, from a physics standpoint, it was of a factor of the square inches.
The taste of my shots have really improved exponentially.
I'm a firm believer, as pointed out earlier, that consistency is more important than pressure, up to a point.  Haven't bothered to measure for 15# since.  I just tamp light.
wcmocha
wcmocha

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Nemox Lux
Drip: Keurig
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 9:29pm

I've tried more and less than 30 lbs. and found 30 to work the best for me.  But really if you focus on one thing it should be consistency.  I took consistency to a new level  so I should know, lol...

wcmocha: Tamping Tool.jpg
(Click for larger image)
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012, 9:39am

frcn Said:

I think 5 is pretty low. Whether 5 pounds is sufficient would depend on a lot of other factors, such as:
- head room
- quality of the grind (some grinders create a fluffy grind in a narrow particle range that seems to compress easier)
- depth of dose in basket
- dose
- water distribution
- if the machine has pre-infusion
- pressure ramping profile

There's one way to find out!  Well.. maybe two.   ;-)

Posted April 13, 2012 link

I have experimented over the years and I do find that a no tamp to 5lbs, a 15lb, and 30+ lbs require different grinds to produce the same shot in the same amount of time.

As stated over and over is consistency is the key to tamping. When I started 30lbs was the mantra so it is what I practiced on a bathroom scale, what I found for me was 30lbs tamp was very simple for me to tell by what the muscles in my arm where doing so it is what I still do. An exception to this is when my grind is a tad to fine and I am pulling multiple shots and instead of adjusting the grinder I will do a 15-20lb tamp to allow a slightly faster flow.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Apr 15, 2012, 11:38am

Yesterday, I found an espro tamper on craigslist for half price and I picked it up.  According to that tamper I was tamping way harder than 30 pounds.  I am just going to use it till I get the feel for it then it will be my husband's tamper if I can ever get him to learn to do make it for himself in the morning.  I am trying to automate it as much as possible so he will do it for himself. (he gets up before I do)  I just need an espro frother and I think I will have him all set up.  The vario is set for the bean weight and so it will be pretty automated for him.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dougz

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Sun Apr 15, 2012, 12:33pm

How are those tampers you can set the poundage on, build quality-wise?  Was thinking of getting one..
mitch236

Espresso: Linea Single Group (PID,...
Grinder: Mazzer Robur E
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 8:24am

I heard it theorized that tamp pressure affects pre-infusion and that makes sense to me.  Yes, the pressure of the water is much higher but it is fluid and can find easier paths through a puck.  If the puck is not tamped, then the water would find easier paths through.  If the puck is heavily tamped, then the water will have a harder time finding easy paths until the pressure builds to full 9 BAR (or whatever your brew pressure is set to).  So that seems to coincide with the advice to tamp with somewhat firm pressure (and 30 lbs seems good enough), but more importantly, consistent pressure so your shots are consistently pre-infused.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 11:48am

Mine is not settable it is from espro and my understanding is it is just a 30 pound tamp.  The site talks about a click.  I don't really hear a click, I hear/feel the spring when it gives.  I hope it not defective I mostly got it for the man so he could learn to make his own #%$#% espresso in the morning. (I am not a morning person)

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Why make such a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29593706131)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+