Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Who can drink it straight?
Jebana from Ethiopia
Ultra Low Tech, for the CoffeeGeek with everything. Beautiful, and Functional too.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Who can drink it...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JDHarding
JDHarding
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Pro, CBTL...
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MDX,...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Hario v60
Roaster: Behmor, Fresh Roast
Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 2:46pm
Subject: Re: Who can drink it straight?

Yeah, I don't think I'll be heating the cup again with a full shot of water. Next time I'll put a squirt of water in there from the boiler, put a plate on top of the cup, let it steam the insides, then dump it out and pull the shot. It'll be warm, but not scorching hot.

But even at a poorly pulled shot, and partially heated machine (I was in a hurry :P), I still managed to pull something drinkable and enjoyable. It's a pretty forgiving blend. I think that's why there's so much praise over it. Everyone, no matter machine, grinder, or skill, is able to pull great stuff from it. And the better your machine, grinder, and skill, the better the end result.

The Video Game Music Place - www.vgmplace.com
The Sonic Corner - www.soniccorner.com
JD Harding . org - www.jdharding.org
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 2:56pm

I recently started drinking Redbird and corresponded with Jeff.  He was very specific that he went 25 -30 seconds timed from the first drip, not timed from brew switch.  He definitely pulls longer than I was used to, and does "not feel obligated to stop at 50 - 60 ml" if no blonding.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
JDHarding
JDHarding

Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 3:04pm

Cool. Well then I will pull a 3.5oz shot next time, and time it when it starts dripping out. ;D

JVBorella
JVBorella
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 5:32pm

99% of the espresso I drink is straight shots with nothing added. I start the day with a pot of siphon brew shared with my wife & then drink 2-4 double shots throughout the day & maybe a decaf double in the evening. My typical shot weighs 20-28 grams tops. I pull the shot into a room temp cup, let it cool for 30 seconds or so & then drink the entire shot at once, no sipping, savoring the flavors before swallowing. On the rare occasion when I make a milk drink I add some honey to the milk before steaming as I really don't care for the taste of plain steamed milk.

John
JDHarding
JDHarding

Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 5:55pm

20-28 grams? You're in triple territory there.

Infact, 7 grams is a single, 14 is a double, and 21 is a triple. 28 is like.. a quadruple. That's a 4oz shot there. That's if you follow the standards.

My 20 grams are really close to a triple. Maybe that's why I can pull 3 to 3.5oz before it starts to blonde.

I have triple baskets that can hold up to 39 grams of coffee, which is like.. almost 6 shots. You'd really be wired at that point. ;D

JVBorella
JVBorella

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Thu Apr 12, 2012, 4:58am

JDHarding Said:

20-28 grams? You're in triple territory there.

Posted April 11, 2012 link

Reread my post. I said the SHOT weighs 20-28g not the dose. Typically I use doses in the 16-19g range.

John
JDHarding
JDHarding

Posted Thu Apr 12, 2012, 1:24pm

JVBorella Said:

Reread my post. I said the SHOT weighs 20-28g not the dose. Typically I use doses in the 16-19g range.

Posted April 12, 2012 link

Sorry about that. I misread.

Well today's shot wasn't all that great. I don't know what went wrong, but it came out pretty sour. Heated cup, 20 grams, tighter grind, it poured sort of fast, 3oz in 30 seconds, sipped.. yuck. No chocolate, just sour. I think it might be because I pulled 3 oz, and it pulled sort of fast, so it may have blonded without me noticing. This is tricky. :/

Update:

Tried a few more shots, dialed down the dose to 17-18 grams, timed the shot when the first drops dripped into the cup, 29 seconds 2 oz, sipped, much better but still a bit sour. I'm not tasting the chocolate that I tasted yesterday. This is only 4 days since roast date, so maybe it's not quite ready yet. And the shots are turning out to be mostly crema. I think it's 1 oz crema to 1 oz espresso.

I'm get'n there. At least I've drank most of the shots so far, although some were pretty bad. ;)

crwate

Posted Thu Apr 12, 2012, 10:13pm

I can! :)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JamesPN007

Espresso: LaSpaziale S1 Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario
Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 11:09am

JDHarding Said:

Just curious how many of us can drink espresso straight, no water, no milk, no sugar, no lungos.

Posted April 7, 2012 link

I very much enjoy drinking straight espresso, BUT I find that I need to add sugar (well, Splenda - about 1/2 - 3/4 packet in a double) in order for the espresso to be enjoyable.  This applies whether I am making at home or ordering at a good cafe (Stumptown, Intelligentsia, Grumpy, etc.), so I know the issue is not the espresso I am making at home.  I do occasionally take a sip BEFORE adding sweetener to see what I am missing, but it has never been to my liking without.  I favor predominantly nutty, milk chocolate flavors (Redbird and Veltons come to mind), and to me I find that adding a little Splenda somehow accentuates those flavors nicely.

With a grinder upgrade on the way (Mazzer Mini --> Mahlkonig K30 Vario), I may be able to better explore grind and dose adjustments that can accentuate the flavors I am looking for without the need to add sweetener.
sherpakid

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Quickmill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress, Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 7:10am

I never add anything to espresso. I drink it straight. I really enjoy the natural sweetness. I like the shots I pull at home. I normally pull two or three doubles in the morning and make the wife a cappa. Then I brew a pour over of some sort and take it in to work with me in a nissan thermos.

www.nobletreecoffee.com
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Who can drink it...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.330361843109)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+