Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Who can drink it straight?
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Who can drink it...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sat Apr 7, 2012, 10:43pm
Subject: Re: Who can drink it straight?

About the only time I have issues is when my taste is OFF due to something like the cold I have had for the last 13 days. Even then, if the shot is pulled right, it is pretty darn good. My normal routine is to pull a double and drink it straight, then as I savor the flavor, I make my large milk drink for the hour long drive to work.

Straight ......YES PLEASE!!!!!!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
konacoffeefarmer
konacoffeefarmer
Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat Apr 7, 2012, 10:58pm

Rome,  a hot June in 1984. A nameless espresso bar near the Forum Romanorum. The lady pulling the shots looked like a young Gina Lollobrigida. I wanted my espresso straight and black. She said I should put some sugar into it. She would make them strong. Better two spoons.  Of course I obeyed--my raging hormones told me that I had to.

So whenever my testosterone levels are high, I'll take sugar in my espresso. Better two. Just for the flashbacks.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
al_bongo

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Sun Apr 8, 2012, 1:34am

Much as I love coffee have finally admitted to myself I don't really like espresso. Americano or macchiato yes.

Straight up? Maybe after a meal which lets face it isn't usually a lovingly prepared shot of Black Cat or Hair Bender.
 View Profile Link to this post
ewindisch

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (PID)
Grinder: Super Jolly, Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sun Apr 8, 2012, 5:18am

At home, I always drink my espresso straight or as a black Americano.
TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Sun Apr 8, 2012, 10:31am

If you don't like good espresso, make yourself a good cappuccino

If you don't like cappuccino, make yourself a good latte.

If you don't like lattes, make yourself a good cup of coffee

If you don't like coffee, go to Starbucks.
JDHarding
JDHarding

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Pro, CBTL...
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MDX,...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Hario v60
Roaster: Behmor, Fresh Roast
Posted Sun Apr 8, 2012, 11:04am

TonyVan Said:

If you don't like coffee, go to Starbucks.

Posted April 8, 2012 link

:D

Should be their new slogan.

"Starbucks, for people who don't like coffee."

The Video Game Music Place - www.vgmplace.com
The Sonic Corner - www.soniccorner.com
JD Harding . org - www.jdharding.org
dtlord
dtlord

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07sde
Grinder: Super Jolly, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Silex Victory, Cory, Sunbeam...
Drip: pour over w/ mesh or paper
Roaster: A nice guy named Roy
Posted Sun Apr 8, 2012, 11:14am

I can no longer eat or drink physically HOT foods as I burnt my mouth and the nerves a still sensitive after 20+ years. So I usually let things cool a bit before drinking. This morning, much like many others I start with a double and around 3oz of whole milk (my version of a flat white). That cools it off so much that I can enjoy that right away as I'm in a hurry to enjoy. Then I proceed to pour a double let it cool enough so it's bearable and enjoy.

.....No matter where you go, there you are...
Stuart

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Air Crazy popper
Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012, 6:43am

My habit had been to drink the stuff I made at home with milk, while occasionally ordering a straight shot when out.  More recently, I started drinking espresso straight, at home, while occasionally having a milk drink as well (latte volume, soy milk, cappucino foam).

In the past, I'd sometimes done as CalBlacksmith describes -- straight shot first thing, followed by a milk drink for more leisurely consumption. But whenever I'd done that, I'd been disappointed, thinking the milk drink tasted like milk and hardly at all like coffee. Today, without the straight shot upfront to bias my taste buds, I thought the milk drink pleasantly balanced, and I enjoyed it.

This, combined with an experience this weekend, helped me understand something about relative intensity of flavors. After worrying that my Vario wasn't properly calibrated and going through the routine to set it up right, I pulled a near-choker shot with Cuvee Coffee's Spicewood 71 Classic blend. Perhaps 15ml came out of the machine in 45 seconds. I tasted that syrup, which probably wasn't a good idea. It was salty, bright, and bitter all at once. So I backed off the fineness a bit, and pulled a much better (by the numbers) shot -- 50ml in 28 seconds.  

That was the smoothest, gentlest, most balanced shot of espresso I'd had in weeks -- or, at least, it seemed that way after being so foolish as to taste the choker shot.

Which is a roundabout way of suggesting that straight shots take some getting used to, but once you do, more-diluted forms of coffee beverage may seem, well, dilute.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012, 7:49am

JDHarding Said:

Just curious how many of us can drink espresso straight, no water, no milk, no sugar, no lungos. Straight up ristretto or normale.

Posted April 7, 2012 link

I would imagine it is a whole lot more people than you think!

Typical weekday for me (all shots are doubles):  wake up, make a ristretto using an Ethiopian or Yemen coffee of some sort -- straight shot, no sugar; (feed the dog); make two lattes (8-ounce) using, generally, a 50-50 mix of Redbird Espresso and Redbird Decaf (or Metropolis Redline & Redline Decaf) -- one for my wife, one for myself (both no sugar); make a third latte (12-ounce) for my older daughter, with sugar; before I leave for work, make myself a second ristretto.  

Once I am at work, at approximately 10:00-10:30 in the morning, make myself a straight espresso in my office; make myself another around 1:30-2:00, following lunch.  Also, I'll make one or two 8-ounce lattes for co-workers (one with sugar, one without), and whatever clients want -- espresso, americano, cappuccino, latte.  Of the drinks I make for clients, approximately half are straight shots, but about a third of those are served with sugar.  The milk drinks I make are usually 8-ounce lattes, but these are rarely with sugar.

When I say "straight shot," there is nothing in the cup but coffee -- no added sugar, water, milk, foam, nothing but the espresso.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
TagTeamJesus

Espresso: LM GS/3 AV; PID Silvia
Grinder: Kony E; Macap MC4
Drip: v60
Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012, 8:03am

Jason,

Dang, you have a high caffeine tolerance.  I do too...except for the headaches.  I wish espresso was caffeine-free because excitement from the texture and taste are enough to get me going in the morning anyway.
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Who can drink it...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.324602127075)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+