Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Nuova Simonelli Oscar - Brewhead Problem
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Nuova Simonelli...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Mar 19, 2012, 7:12pm
Subject: Re: Nuova Simonelli Oscar - Brewhead Problem

Wow, I have never ever seen mine pulse like that.  I guess maybe I am not that far off.  I plan to make one that just as a gauge on a blind filter just to get ball park pressure.   I was fine with the counting,

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon Mar 19, 2012, 9:36pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

Wow, I have never ever seen mine pulse like that.  I guess maybe I am not that far off.  I plan to make one that just as a gauge on a blind filter just to get ball park pressure.   I was fine with the counting,

Posted March 19, 2012 link

We don't really have a good opv with our Oscars, it is on the hot water side of the brew group. Factory pressure is probably in the ball park of 12-13 bar before the opv let's off pressure. If you do adjust the opv on our machine in will divert into the drip tray instead of the reservoir, lots of water waste from my experience, and it it is the hot water feeding your shot that is being diverted so cooler and cooler water is replacing what is being going to your puck, not  a good thing.

I have spent three years with this machine and it is capable of doing great shots darn consistently when you are in tune with it. There are upgrades you can do with Oscar, like changing the opv and position plus routing overflow back to the tank, adding ( crap name slips me but so we can put it on a timer and not purge the steam wand on start up), and we don't have a hot water wand and boil water like we always did. I have done nothing but maintain it and leave it on 24/7.

I trust Oscar to make very good to great shots consistently. My next machine will more then likely be a commercial HX machine, but i am still happy with Oscar after as this time.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Mar 19, 2012, 10:53pm

I think you are looking for vacuum breaker.  I plan to do that and the musicia restricters and I think it will be an awesome machine that I will be happy with a long time.

Coffeenoobie

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Mar 20, 2012, 1:57pm

I turned my Pstat down again.  I think I have done it 1.5 full turns from factory. (it was used but I am sure they never opened the machine up)The cooling flush was still really long but my foam, oh the foam was the best micro foam I have made on the Oscar. I even made a passable heart.  It made a nice mushroom when I swirled it and it poured out the way you want it too... I am so jazzed about the foam.  I would write sonnets.

Coffeenoobie

ShooterMcGavin
ShooterMcGavin
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: N.S. Oscar
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Mon Mar 26, 2012, 12:07pm

hate to revive this thread but:

1. I finally opened up my Oscar, and to my delight, I saw a Sirai pressurestat like the one in this picture:
    http://www.chriscoffee.com/images/467/newoscar.jpg

2. Rob suggested that my pressurestat my be set too high.  If so, (with the machine unplugged) would I take a screwdriver and screw that middle screw to the right until the water flow looks like this?: http://youtu.be/dn5-qWeglIs
    edit:: via cdienzo's post here: Click Here (coffeegeek.com) I know how to adjust the pstat which I assume adjusts the brew temperature

3. I also noticed another odd thing in that when I tried backflushing, there would be no water returning into the drip tray.  I tried backflushing with the cover open and I noticed that the clear tube connected to the brewhead would inflate like a water balloon in one spot by the brewhead but wouldn't deflate until I removed the portafilter.  I tried straightening the tube but the bubble won't budge:
    http://i41.tinypic.com/25q6k5t.jpg

4.  Also, I have no idea what the red tube to the left of the brewhead is for, but I see it going down to the drip tray as well.  Nothing comes out the bottom of that tube either...

Thanks!!!  I really hate to bother the forum with these types of questions and I truly appreciate the support!

Daviiid
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012, 6:55am

ShooterMcGavin Said:

hate to revive this thread but:

I finally opened up my Oscar, and to my delight, I saw a Sirai pressurestat like the one in this picture:
http://www.chriscoffee.com/images/467/newoscar.jpg

Rob suggested that my pressurestat my be set too high.  If so, (with the machine unplugged) would I take a screwdriver and screw that middle screw to the right until the water flow looks like this?: http://youtu.be/dn5-qWeglIs
edit:: via cdienzo's post here: Click Here (coffeegeek.com) I know how to adjust the pstat which I assume adjusts the brew temperature

I also noticed another odd thing in that when I tried backflushing, there would be no water returning into the drip tray.  I tried backflushing with the cover open and I noticed that the clear tube connected to the brewhead would inflate like a water balloon in one spot by the brewhead but wouldn't deflate until I removed the portafilter.  I tried straightening the tube but the bubble won't budge:
http://i41.tinypic.com/25q6k5t.jpg

Also, I have no idea what the red tube to the left of the brewhead is for, but I see it going down to the drip tray as well.  Nothing comes out the bottom of that tube either...

Thanks!!!  I really hate to bother the forum with these types of questions and I truly appreciate the support!

Posted March 26, 2012 link

Glad you found a link to help with the PSTAT. Check changes out against a fully heated machine, 45min in between adjustments and checking the flush.

Sounds like you have a clog in the line on the right, that needs to be unclogged to let the pressure off after a shot and for back flushing. I don't think it would be your three way valve since water is getting to the tube to make it bulge.

The tube on the left is for Oscars OPV valve and the tube releases pressure to the drip tray if the pressure goes above what it is set at. I believe it is set at 12-13bar, if you use the back flush insert you should see some flow through this tube. Doing back flush cleaning chemicals helps to keep these pathways clean.
ShooterMcGavin
ShooterMcGavin
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: N.S. Oscar
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012, 9:20am

thanks again for the reply Rob!
when I use the backflush insert and attempt a backflush, it creates that bulge in the right tube.  any ideas how to unclog it?  pushing it with my finger doesn't seem to move it and I'd hate to accidentally pop it.  
As for the left red tube, nothing seems to be going through it, even when I attempt a backflush

as for the previous brewhead problem, the stream is looking I guess more "normal" now with a main single stream coming down the center with maybe another stream sometimes coming down elsewhere on the screen.  there is definitely hot steaming bubbly water for the first 2-3 seconds but then it normalizes itself and the steamy bubbles subside.  definitely no more pulsing water :D

Daviiid
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012, 10:37am

ShooterMcGavin Said:

thanks again for the reply Rob!
when I use the backflush insert and attempt a backflush, it creates that bulge in the right tube.  any ideas how to unclog it?  pushing it with my finger doesn't seem to move it and I'd hate to accidentally pop it.  
As for the left red tube, nothing seems to be going through it, even when I attempt a backflush

as for the previous brewhead problem, the stream is looking I guess more "normal" now with a main single stream coming down the center with maybe another stream sometimes coming down elsewhere on the screen.  there is definitely hot steaming bubbly water for the first 2-3 seconds but then it normalizes itself and the steamy bubbles subside.  definitely no more pulsing water :D

Posted March 27, 2012 link

Sounds like we have our PS set around the same now. Now if I am have a bunch of guest over I will turn the PS up 3/4 to a full turn hotter.

For the tube on the right I would take the front cover off and try my best to get the tube out with out damaging it to check for a clog and to clear it.

The tube on the left may have a clog or the opv is stuck shut or you just never built up enough pressure to make it flow. I just checked on mine and the first clean water back flush and letting the pump build for 10sec did nothing, then 10 sec later I turned the pump back on and excess water was exiting the tube on the left. When the pump was off and I took the PF out is when I see the most flow from the tube on the right.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2012, 5:10pm

Now mine is doing the pulsing thing.  I am letting it cool off then I am going to lower the pstat again.  But it was fine for days before, leaving it on all day.  Now it seems mega hot.

Coffeenoobie

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2012, 9:23pm

I let it cool down and adjusted it down a full turn.  Now the flushes are back to normal and I will find out tomorrow if my resent channeling problem goes away.  What are the signs of the pstat going out?

Coffeenoobie

showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Nuova Simonelli...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.337423086166)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+