Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Crap machine or crap technique.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Crap machine or...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Milesy

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2012, 3:18pm
Subject: Crap machine or crap technique.

Hi everyone. I have purchased a gaggia classic and fitted the wand upgrade and have some questions which i am sure are not not the first time they have been heard. :)

I just can't see to pull a hot shot. I prime the machine, let it heat up and pull my shot. Even when I put my finger under the extraction it feels quite cool. How can I test the temperature is correct?

My second problem is the steaming for good microfoam.  I start with really cold milk and start steaming the second the light comes on. I can't seem to get that deep ch ch ch sound unti the temp is already approaching 100F. By the time it gets into the red the volume has only increased by about an inch. It's very creamy and glossy on top but just looks like hot milk underneath.

I need to fill my pitcher about halfway to get enough time to get this much foam. If I use any less milk it boils too quickly, but this is too much milk to pour a latte. Is it ok to pour some away to get enough for the pour? Or should I be able to steam any volume?
 View Profile Link to this post
rotwang
rotwang
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Pure
Grinder: Pharos, KyM,  Sözen, PeDe
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: No..Cezve
Roaster: nope
Posted Sun Jan 15, 2012, 3:41pm
Subject: Re: Crap machine or crap technique.

Try heating up your cup with hot water and dump it out just before you pull the shot.  As for the steaming, try starting to steam the milk before the "ready" light comes on.  That way the heating element will stay on the whole time.
JonR10
JonR10
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012, 4:29am

In addition to the advice above, you may need to letthe machine preheat longer.  
Let her heat up for at least 15 to 20 minutes and have the portafilter in the group during the whole time.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Milesy

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012, 2:02pm

Thanks

I am not getting much consistency with my results.

Two different pre ground expresso coffees pull completely differently. (no grinder yet)

The bei & nannini is courser and more airy and takes ages to drip out, and has little crema.

The Lavazza is finer and denser, but when I pull it the cup fills in less than ten seconds.

With the steam....

Surely the fact that the milk can reach boiling point very quickly would say it is a technique problem rather than steam power?

I can do nice microfoam for a capp or machiato which spoons off lovely and tastes lovely, but I can not get the latte milk under control. I try stretching less and then whirlpooling the milk and at the end it has risen and looks like a lovely thick glossy cream on top, but is just hot milk underneath. When I pour into the espresso it just completely mixes into a ugly white coffee and then the little foam comes out at the end.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012, 3:26pm

Milesy Said:

Two different pre ground expresso coffees pull completely differently. (no grinder yet)....

Posted January 19, 2012 link

>:-O

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012, 8:36am

honestly, your biggest issue is the one you don't pay much attention to, your lack of a grinder.
Stale coffee and improper size in the grinding will make a huge difference in the shot. 15 days from the day the coffee was roasted and it is pretty much plant food as far as espresso goes. Drip brew will get a little more from the coffee but for espresso, you are done. Canned or preground coffee.... forget about good or even drinkable espresso.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
OlivO

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: La Marzocco GB/5
Grinder: Mazzer Maj
Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012, 9:09am

They're right about the grinder.  The only amelioration is to up the dose or down the dose to control flow rate, and even then you don't have much wiggle room.  If you can't afford a grinder, buy a cheap digital gram scale that goes to tenth accuracy.  If you get a grind size that roughly gets you to where you need to be, then up or lower your dose by using the scale for measurement.  Now,  you may get many tiny clumps in your coffee since it is pre-ground.  Use the Weiss paperclip/butterknife technique to help you out.  I'm sure someone has posted something on this somewhere.  

Letting everything heat up is a must; there's a lot of metal there to heat.  If you can't leave the machine on overnight, get an outlet timer that turns the machine on at the time you want (I assume 5am).  Most hardware store have these.

Right now, without a grinder, you have to learn to move freely in a harness.
Ccup
Ccup
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: rancilio silvia
Grinder: rancilio rocky
Drip: na
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012, 7:03pm

The group head should be pouring hot water around 90 degrees, I am aussie so I dont work in Fahrenheit sorry, The steam wand should be working at a hotter temp to create steam.

Check your machine is extracting at the right temp.

Let your machine warm up for 20 mins!

don't use to much milk for your latte you need to use just the perfect amount. Account for milk expanding and froth.
The nilk should reach about 60 degrees, I like 50, again I am sorry I am not FH

You need a grinder to get the grind right, pre ground coffee is always to coarse.
Finer grind means slower shot.

If the milk froths fast and gets hot fast thats good, just stop frothing at the right time, dont froth to long you will burn the milk.
Milk that is frothed fast is good.

Good luck with it keep trying!

"A good cup of coffee starts with a seedling."
Snaggle.

www.snagssharkteeth.com
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Snaggles-Shark-Teeth
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Crap machine or...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.274005174637)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+