Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
How to roast barley for espresso
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > How to roast...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Sat Dec 17, 2011, 8:54am
Subject: Re: How to roast barley for espresso

And now this from the peanut gallery:  I've enjoyed being exposed to the idea that you can roast and "espress" something besides coffee.  I never would have thought you could do such a thing with barley, and I am halfway tempted to try it sometime.  

What it's called is a side issue that is important to some of you, which is OK.  But I'm going to be disappointed when an otherwise interesting thread gets locked down because of a side issue.

Jim
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Dec 17, 2011, 10:04am

diggi Said:

I'm confused.  Is it called "marriage" or "gay marriage"?

....enjoying the banter : )

Posted December 17, 2011 link

On the Federal level marriage is only between a man and a woman, except in some really really rural parts of America where it would be called "incest".

Len

CoffeeRoastersClub: teeth.jpg
(Click for larger image)

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sat Dec 17, 2011, 10:58am

Oh really? So when it happens to one of Burt Reynold's buddies it's wrong, but when Heath Ledger decides to "break some back" on the mountain it becomes a love story...

Back to barley, I know a guy who wants me to tend his fields in Montana next spring - anyone in?

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Dec 17, 2011, 11:42am

EricBNC Said:

Oh really? So when it happens to one of Burt Reynold's buddies it's wrong, but when Heath Ledger decides to "break some back" on the mountain it becomes a love story...

Back to barley, I know a guy who wants me to tend his fields in Montana next spring - anyone in?

That was one of the more memorable scenes, however I was thinking more along the lines of the brother/sister thing they alluded to.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sat Dec 17, 2011, 12:33pm

OK folks. This is the part of the job where I have to remind you to stay on topic of roasting/making espresso with barley, not proper grammar, nor marriage, nor the ATF. Brief diversions are fine, but this is getting out of hand.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Dec 17, 2011, 12:35pm

I agree with the stand that most people would expect coffee with the word espresso but frankly I probably would have asked the same question in the same way.  I have enjoyed this tread other than the snippyness I had no idea about some of the info contained here.  It has been an eye opener.

Thanks,

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sat Dec 17, 2011, 1:37pm

dana_leighton Said:

OK folks. This is the part of the job where I have to remind you to stay on topic of roasting/making espresso with barley, not proper grammar, nor marriage, nor the ATF. Brief diversions are fine, but this is getting out of hand.

Darn, I was hoping to get into federal and state marijuana laws, oh well I will settle for an old fashioned espresso with caffeine please.

Sorry Dana, I can't help sticking it to the man.

Still waiting to hear from the brave that put barley through their grinder and espresso machine to see what they think of it. It frightens me a bit since everything I read uses a seperate machine for the purpose of barley espresso.
ToddT

Espresso: Vibiemme Double Domobar
Grinder: HG-One
Posted Mon Dec 19, 2011, 1:18pm

Anybody try it? I wonder how it fares.
666madmonk

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 1:31pm

@jezekilj: I think this is an interesting idea. As far as barley being a coffee substitute, my grandparents' generation used it regularly in Kansas, where they farmed after they got here from Russia. There was a large community of Russian and Russo/Germans there, and they brought this practice with them.  (It is called "prips"). I have read  posts on this forum for quite a while, and recently joined; I am not an espresso virgin, and I do know what good espresso is, having lived in Brasil for several years... I will experiment with barley and return with the results, probably on another thread.
@ the nit-pickers of semantics, and self-appointed guardians of the English language and the sanctity of "Coffee": Here are a few more questions you will doubtless have fun discussing.
1. How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
2.What is the meaning of "is"?
3.If I use hard water to make espresso, is it REALLY espresso? The "water" is actually a weak solution of calcium and sodium salts, and various cabonates and chlorides. If espresso is defined as coffee arabica + H2O, we may have to re-define the terms.
(Tongue firmly in cheek)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 1:53pm

Thank you so much for joining the board.

Long time members just LOVE to be mocked by the very first post of a new member. It is so nice to have you dig up this dead thread, just to insult us.

Thank you.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
showing page 7 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > How to roast...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.335746049881)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+