Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
How to roast barley for espresso
"My First Crack"
"Ask Me About My First Crack."  Tee Shirts in Black, White, or Grey.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > How to roast...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 7:38pm
Subject: Re: How to roast barley for espresso

steven_meyer Said:

I don't remember joining  "BarleyGeek"?  Where can I buy a PID rice cooker?

Posted December 15, 2011 link

Please try to stay on topic or start a new thread about the PID rice cooker... rice is the robusta of the grain world anyway.

FYI, I scored a 50 Kg bag of FTO Ukrainian Steppe barley aka the Ukrainian Bread Bomb - late harvest hand threshed if anyone wants in on it.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Dec 15, 2011, 9:33pm

calblacksmith Said:

len, I don't think so. everywhere in all the links on this thread about barley espresso, the distinction has always been made of barley as the ingredients being brewed. the debate in this thread occurred because the original poster the neglected to include that distinction. I really don't care what you brew in the espresso basket

the original poster also made a bad assumption that with out saying cafe to the end of espresso then anything could go skies the limit .
that's simply is not true either as above, serve somebody something other than coffee in there espresso in they will be really ticked off unless they specified that they wanted their espresso made out of something other than coffee.

From the articles I read from Italy, consumers are running around already referring to the drink as "Barley Espresso".  Next thing you know, France will jump on the bandwagon.  Then on to Hollywood where it will be deemed, "So avant garde", where all the stars and starlets will be fawning over each other for a "Barley Espresso".  Then its just a matter of time till the hipsters in California influence the liberal wackos in Connecticut, then I get p*ssed.

All joking aside, that's how it happens.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Vac Pot: no
Drip: no
Roaster: yes
Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 4:34am

calblacksmith Said:

Like I said, as long as there is a modifier, Barley espressed coffee, Barley coffee, Barleysso etc I have no problem. If you say ESPRESSO it is a coffee drink.

LOL! now your confusing me. are you saying you have a problem with the term barley espresso? just asking because you didn't list that one. isn't calling it "barley coffee" the same difference?

like len said, before long the fad will reach here. then we will have to be more specific when asking for an espresso to avoid confusion. example...i would like a "coffee espresso" please. ;)

"You can write down how to make the perfect cup of coffee. But to make it really good, you have to play something fictional, you have to dress up, you have to think, This is the most important thing."
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 5:19am

And with this thread the 4th Wave is born...

Be the grain.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew

Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 8:02am

i wonder if wine snobs were outraged when people started making wine out of stuff other than grapes?

barley wine, ginger wine, rice wine......

"You can write down how to make the perfect cup of coffee. But to make it really good, you have to play something fictional, you have to dress up, you have to think, This is the most important thing."
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 8:14am

Bitches_Brew Said:

i wonder if wine snobs were outraged when people started making wine out of stuff other than grapes?

Posted December 16, 2011 link

Or if the other fruits came first . . .

I don't know about "wine snobs," but from a regulatory standpoint, I am not aware of a single country that doesn't classify/define "fruit wine" as different from "(grape) wine."  OTOH, "barley wine" is actually a form of beer, rather than wine per se.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew

Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 8:21am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

"barley wine" is actually a form of beer, rather than wine per se.

i know, my point is it's still called wine.

rgs1218

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Cellini Evoluzione
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM
Drip: Bodum press, Chemex, Hario
Roaster: Not yet...
Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 9:47am

EricBNC Said:

Please try to stay on topic or start a new thread about the PID rice cooker... rice is the robusta of the grain world anyway.

FYI, I scored a 50 Kg bag of FTO Ukrainian Steppe barley aka the Ukrainian Bread Bomb - late harvest hand threshed if anyone wants in on it.

Too funny :).
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:27am

Bitches_Brew Said:

my point is it's still called wine.

But the point is that it is not "still called wine."  It is called "fruit wine" or -- for example -- "cherry wine," or "plum wine," or "barley wine."  NO ONE that I can think of has ever sold, marketed, or even referred to (e.g.) a plum wine by saying "this wine will pair great with your dinner."  They'll say, "Have you thought about serving a plum wine?" or "The barley wine made by Anchor Brewing is called 'Old Foghorn'."  (No one says "The wine that Anchor makes is called . . . ")

The term -- without the modified -- refers to something altogether different.  The modifier is the key!

That said, the last time I looked this was not correct-use-of-english-vocabulary-and-grammar.com, but rather coffeegeek.com, so perhaps we can stick with more germane topics . . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:36am

EricBNC Said:

And with this thread the 4th Wave is born...

Be the grain.

Love the avatar!

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 5 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > How to roast...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.447479963303)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+