Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Espresso Parts NW HQ baskets vs. La Marzocco VST baskets
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Espresso Parts...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 3:25pm
Subject: Re: Espresso Parts NW HQ baskets vs. La Marzocco VST baskets

frank828 Said:

btw, an alternative(im sure there are many) to the pullman tampers that i'm considering is from here.   http://www.coffeecomplements.com/products-page/

muchhh cheaper and it still looks like a very nice quality tamper.

Posted April 16, 2012 link

Thanks for that, there is also this Click Here (www.chriscoffee.com)

Edit: BTW if you look at Pullman's website it does inspire a whole lot of geekyness and precision. Sadly it seems Reg has let some things slip through that where less then accurate for custom orders (second hand info only), so a reason I might order a few bases to cover the ranges even if they are not made 100% to spec. I am always curious and interested in products geeks have tried and checked out themselves. So curious, do you own one and have you measured it. I have a 58mm tamper that measures 56.45, advertising can say just about anything but geeks keep us informed.
 View Profile Link to this post
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 3:42pm

germantownrob Said:

Thanks for that, there is also this Click Here (www.chriscoffee.com)

Edit: BTW if you look at Pullman's website it does inspire a whole lot of geekyness and precision. Sadly it seems Reg has let some things slip through that where less then accurate for custom orders (second hand info only), so a reason I might order a few bases to cover the ranges even if they are not made 100% to spec. I am always curious and interested in products geeks have tried and checked out themselves. So curious, do you own one and have you measured it. I have a 58mm tamper that measures 56.45, advertising can say just about anything but geeks keep us informed.

oh i like those colors.  kinda looks like it's a silicone or other rubbery material on the handle.  im not too sure i like that as i'd have concerns about durability and cleaning it.  hmmm

also, i wonder what "The 58 mm Black Pillar now has a flat base and can be used with the VST Strada Baskets."  exactly means.  are they just standard 58mm or have they been precisely milled for VST baskets?  hmm
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 4:18pm

according to the product page on Chris', the VST Strada baskets are 58.35 +/-0.05mm.  Since I have 4 of them, and use them exclusively, I just ordered a 58.3mm stainless base from Reg Barber.  I'm now a bit concerned about that purchase decision, given what germantownrob wrote a couple posts above.  I plan to measure it when it arrives and if it's off too far (and doesn't fit my baskets), I'm sending it back for a refund.  To date, I've been extremely happy with Reg's products, although I've never measured any of them myself  - even though I have the instruments to do so.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 4:29pm

frank828 Said:

btw, an alternative(im sure there are many) to the pullman tampers that i'm considering is from here.   http://www.coffeecomplements.com/products-page/

muchhh cheaper and it still looks like a very nice quality tamper.

btw the last time i looked at the products here, they didnt have the 58.35mm VST size as an option, only 58.3mm.  hmm i wonder if they are making them more precise or just decided to change the name for marketing purposes.
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 4:35pm

emradguy Said:

according to the product page on Chris', the VST Strada baskets are 58.35 +/-0.05mm.  Since I have 4 of them, and use them exclusively, I just ordered a 58.3mm stainless base from Reg Barber.  I'm now a bit concerned about that purchase decision, given what germantownrob wrote a couple posts above.  I plan to measure it when it arrives and if it's off too far (and doesn't fit my baskets), I'm sending it back for a refund.  To date, I've been extremely happy with Reg's products, although I've never measured any of them myself  - even though I have the instruments to do so.

Everything I have heard is second hand. Please check yourself to confirm, Reg has been around a long time doing custom orders long before anyone else I know of did. What has changed is we as customers want a much tighter spec then ever for pistons and they are being made with tighter specs. Pullman has said himself on this forum that he didn't even know Reg existed when he decideded to make his product, if he had he may have never gone into business, well I doubt that but he might have given props to Reg for doing it, lol.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Espresso Parts...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.295754909515)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+