Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
My Silvia will not get clean!
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > My Silvia will...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
DNAofCoffee
DNAofCoffee
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Feb 16, 2011, 3:01pm
Subject: Re: My Silvia will not get clean!

At this point, Arman, it seems that pulling the group head and having a look inside will take less time and frustration that continuing to try whatever methods are continuing to not work.  If you want to end this, it looks like you'll have to go in.  Have you taken it apart before?

Michael Silberg
San Francisco, CA
 View Profile Link to this post
sugarbrew

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Feb 16, 2011, 3:40pm

Nope.  Any good tutorials on this?

EDIT:

Oookay.  Now I'm a little worried. There was a weird shiny metallic looking fleck in the drip tray after I backflushed with water, in addition to some other black flecks.

I also ran some water through the steam wand and I'm getting a few black flecks in there too.  

I'm afraid TheMadTamper might be right and this might be from something degrading, which is pretty strange considering that the machine isn't all that old.
DNAofCoffee
DNAofCoffee
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Feb 16, 2011, 5:47pm

sugarbrew Said:

Posted February 16, 2011 link

THIS will start you off.  It's a schematic of an earlier iteration of the Silvia, although only a few parts have changed and it won't make a difference for your purposes.  There are some video tutorials on youtube.  The first thing will be to pull out the water reservoir, get a philips head screwdriver, remove the four screws from the top panel, pull that off and have a look inside.

Michael Silberg
San Francisco, CA
TheMadTamper

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Salvatore SES; Izzo Duetto...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, K8 Fresh,...
Drip: /Pod: Bunn MCP
Roaster: /Other: Blender - BlendTec...
Posted Thu Feb 17, 2011, 7:50am

sugarbrew Said:

EDIT:

Oookay.  Now I'm a little worried. There was a weird shiny metallic looking fleck in the drip tray after I backflushed with water, in addition to some other black flecks.

I also ran some water through the steam wand and I'm getting a few black flecks in there too.  

I'm afraid TheMadTamper might be right and this might be from something degrading, which is pretty strange considering that the machine isn't all that old.

Posted February 16, 2011 link

If it's coming out through the steam wand, it has nothing to do with the group.  UNLESS the problem is that for some reason some of the backpressure water is migrating back through the brew path to the boiler instead of blowing out the solenoid which, especially if not cleaned for ages, if you had a partially stuck solenoid, is entirely plausible.  

The other possibility is that it's corroded milk that got sucked into the boiler through the steam wand, though that's usually not black.  

Shiny metal bits can be anything from a degrading boiler to just shavings from the grouphead or PF from locking it in and out.  

Are you sure you NEVER had gunk in your clean water reservoir, either by itself, or maybe blown back through the OPV, then picked up again by the pump?
goldcoastcoffeelover

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 3:12am

Hi - did anyone work out what to do with the black flecks? I've just cleaned the Breville espresso machine left in my apartment and the black flecks are coming out. Another forum suggested it could be flecks of copper oxide from the heating element. Do you think those are dangerous? Did you find out some way to get them out? Thanks!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 7:31am

It is hard to say exactly what you are seeing with "black flecks" but there are several things it could be. When was the last time you descaled the machine? Are you using filtered water with the proper amount of "hardness" (or lack thereof ) There could be scale from the heater if it was over heated due to being turned on when the machine did not have enough water in the boiler.
I found this inside a boiler of a Sylvia when I rebuilt it. This was caused by the water and what was in the water and not descaling the machine. Yes the heating element was bad but a bad element would not do this.

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)
Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

The whole thread is here.
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/547829

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
goldcoastcoffeelover

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 10:42pm

My sister-in-law (whose apartment I live in) says that the machine was spitting out black flecks before she put it away, over a year ago. So I've descaled it and now am flushing it with water, and black flecks come through the machine every time. The water should be fine, I think - Gold Coast in Queensland. How do I then get rid of the flecks? Any idea?
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > My Silvia will...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.269562005997)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+