Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Extremely SOUR Shot - Delonghi Bar32
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Extremely SOUR...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
KatieT
KatieT
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Java Coffee & Tea Co.
Posted Fri Jan 7, 2011, 1:29pm
Subject: Re: Extremely SOUR Shot - Delonghi Bar32

I also got a DeLonghi Bar32 for Christmas from my well-meaning mother  =)

I made my first shot with a great espresso blend from a local roaster that had been ground right before being tamped, and the shot, while not note-worthy (due to being weak and a little watery), was pretty good, and it would be even better in a milk-based drink I'm sure. Once my real tamper comes, I'm sure I can perfect the shot even more.

With that said, the Illy pre-ground probably IS the culprit.

I am also aware that this machine isn't anywhere near the best, but since it was a gift, I'll use it to practice while I save up for my Dream Machine  =)

I've read that a grinder is just as important as the machine, so using pre-ground anything won't get you the very best results you could achieve with the DeLonghi.

I hope this helps! Please keep posting and reading - this is a great bunch of people  =)
 View Profile Link to this post
h3yn0w
h3yn0w

Posted Fri Jan 7, 2011, 3:17pm

shogan Said:

As to temp surfing, I was hoping not to spend anymore money on a temp gauge, but again very possible solution so if the new coffee doesn't work I will try it out.

Posted January 7, 2011 link

The styrofoam cup method doesn't require anything fancy. Just a styrofoam cup and a $10 fast read thermometer. You may already have one. If not, it's a handy thing to have in the kitchen anyways:)
shogan

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jan 7, 2011, 3:47pm

One more question - I wasn't able to find a definitive answer as to whether I can use a non pressurized porta filter with this machine (no rubber gasket on the inside of the basket). Does anyone know whether its possible and/or whether its worth it to try?
shogan

Posted Fri Jan 7, 2011, 9:54pm

The fresh ground coffee definitely changed the complexity to something near a decent espresso. But the brew is still extremely sour.

On to trying the temp gauge. Also will try some E.S.E. pods in order to hopefully eliminate this as a tamper problem....don't get mad at me for this I know its "newbish".
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Fri Jan 7, 2011, 10:13pm

It's not a tamper problem, that's certain. If you're concerned it's still a distribution problem, you needn't buy pods. They won't be indicative of proper distribution anyway. As far as distributing goes, try the Weiss Distribution Technique, or WDT. All this really entails is stirring the grinds in the basket with an unbent paperclip or similar probe. You don't need the makeshift yogurt cup funnel if you're careful, so it should be easy enough to do with very little extra prep. Stir in concentric circles, obtain a visibly even distribution, tamp, and pull the shot. If you still get a sour mess, move on to the next candidate.

My vote, at this point, is on temperature. It's more than likely your machine doesn't really get up to a temperature that's considered adequate for brewing espresso. This is a pretty common problem with lower end machines like yours and mine. To counteract it, you can set the machine to its steam mode for 10 seconds or so before brewing, right after the boiler light has gone off (or on, whichever the case may be) to indicate the machine is "ready". Doing this will turn the heating element on, while bypassing the brew thermostat's lower temperature setting. It will raise your brew water to a more acceptable level, and hopefully reduce sourness.

And, yes, de-pressurize that portafilter when you get the chance.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Jan 7, 2011, 11:18pm

shogan Said:

I was hoping not to spend anymore money on a temp gauge,

Go to my website (nothing for sale there). Besides documenting my adventures in coffee over the last ten years (are flashbacks to times before that), in the right-0hand column you will find a number of lessons and how-tos including time surfing (which only requires a timepiece that can count seconds) as well as how to measure brew temperature with noting but a stick thermometer like those found in many kitchens and a styrofoam take-away cup. There is also a HUGE guide to solving problems with espresso (in the How-Tos section it is #12).  

If you read the entire site we'll talk again in a week or two..  ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
shogan

Posted Fri Jan 7, 2011, 11:26pm

Thanks for the continuing advice!

I just tried the technique Steve suggested (WDT) and turned on the steam mode until it heated up to "ready" then pulled the shot. Now its not as sour but it is over-extracted (black, big bubbled white crema on the edges, bitter and no espresso flavor). I think this was a result of my over-tamping however, and will try this technique with a light tamp tomorrow. Seems like at least I'm making more progress then before.

Also thanks for the website frcn, I'm going there now to start my 2 week reading =P.

More updating to come, thanks all.
shogan

Posted Sat Jan 8, 2011, 12:49am

Based on the post about removing the spring gasket on a EC155:

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/510409

I'm thinking of removing the spring gasket on my Bar32 and trying this. The only issue I can see is that there is a gap between the filter plate and the bottom of the porta filter basket. I'm not sure if this will cause more problems then its worth but I will try it.

In lieu of that, does anyone know where I can get a non-pressurized porta filter basket for the Delonghi Bar32? It fits a 51mm porta filter.

Thanks.
fwtechwiz

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Posted Sat Jan 8, 2011, 8:18am

You might try one from Mr. Coffee.  I don't have the Delonghi, but a Hamilton Beach, but from my research when I was looking for a non pressurized basket, a lot of the lower end machines (Sunbeam, Delonghi, Hamilton Beach, Mr Coffee) can use this basket.  Link to it is below.

Click here
fwtechwiz

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Posted Sat Jan 8, 2011, 8:35am

shogan Said:

Thanks for the continuing advice!

I just tried the technique Steve suggested (WDT) and turned on the steam mode until it heated up to "ready" then pulled the shot. Now its not as sour but it is over-extracted (black, big bubbled white crema on the edges, bitter and no espresso flavor). I think this was a result of my over-tamping however, and will try this technique with a light tamp tomorrow. Seems like at least I'm making more progress then before.

Also thanks for the website frcn, I'm going there now to start my 2 week reading =P.

More updating to come, thanks all.

Hmm, now over extracted and bitter?  Me thinks you went too far on the hot side.  +1 on the lighter tamp, a pressurized basket does not need a heavy tamp to perform.  Temp surfing is kind of like riding a roller coaster.  You have to find the right place to get off or you'll fly out either too high or too low.  Try this:  Hit the steam switch, let it come up to 'ready'.  Turn the steam switch off.  Open your steam valve (with a cup underneath) and hit the brew switch for oh say, 5 seconds for a cooling flush.  Then turn the brew switch off, close the steam valve and immediately pull your shot.  If still too bitter, go longer with your cooling flush.  If it goes too sour, go shorter with the cooling flush.  Pretty soon you'll find the sweet spot.

EDIT:  It's a lot easier to surf down from over temp than to try to surf up to the right temp from too cool.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Extremely SOUR...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.316150188446)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+