Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Expresso Roasting
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Expresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
coffee1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Sep 23, 2010, 11:53am
Subject: Expresso Roasting

Hi everyone,

I am trying to roast a blend of coffee beans for my expresso.

What are your thoughts on this blend?

1. Brazil Natural Yellow Bourbon   50% - full city roast
  2. Sumatra Mandheling Harimau Tiger 25% - full city roast
  3. Mexico Coatpepec 25% - city roast

As well, I am looking for a nice SO expresso bean.

Thanks,

drew
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Sep 23, 2010, 2:33pm
Subject: Re: Expresso Roasting

coffee1 Said:

I am trying to roast a blend of coffee beans for my expresso.

Posted September 23, 2010 link

Well, I do not know how to roast for eXpresso, but for espresso I might be able to help. I would need to know what roaster you are using. For the blend, it depends on the quality of the Sumatran. It has varied over the years from delicious to tasting like dirt to me. There are some great Africans you can try as well, and maybe substitute the Mexican with a Peruvian, Costa Rican, or similar.

Check my website as I have an article on roast profiling. I pre-blend so it may not be 100% applicable to you, but it should give some ideas.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JDHarding
JDHarding
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Pro, CBTL...
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MDX,...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Hario v60
Roaster: Behmor, Fresh Roast
Posted Thu Sep 23, 2010, 3:40pm

Did you just say eXpresso?

That could get you imprisoned in some countries. ;P

Try a mix of Sumatra Mandheling Grade-1 (better stuff), a Mexican, a Ethiopian, and a Brazilian. You might be able to substitute a Guatemalan for the Mexican. 25% each. Aim for beans from each of those places that are good at Full City, then blend and roast them to Full City. I can't give exact bean names other than the Sumatran.

I haven't tried this blend myself, but I've heard good things.

The Video Game Music Place - www.vgmplace.com
The Sonic Corner - www.soniccorner.com
JD Harding . org - www.jdharding.org
coffee1

Posted Thu Sep 23, 2010, 6:12pm

Hi FRCN and JD,

Thanks for your input.

I am using a Solar Roaster, which uses both drum and air technology. Here is the link for the Solar Roaster Click Here (www.coffee-tech.com)

I have not tried the roaster, because I just ordered it and it should be delivered next week. I have heard a lot of good things about this roaster and thought it would be a good place to start. I am opening a small roasting shop, so I need a roaster that is easy to operate.

I am also, looking for a nice smooth coffee (single origin and blend) that will be appealing to a lot of people.

I know I will need to do some sample roasting before I can choose the best coffee to roast for my purpose, but in the meantime i am trying to learn from others that have a lot more knowledge then I do.

If you can help with a good blend and single origin coffee, I am open to your comments and advice.

Talk to you soon.

drew
JDHarding
JDHarding
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Pro, CBTL...
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MDX,...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Hario v60
Roaster: Behmor, Fresh Roast
Posted Thu Sep 23, 2010, 6:41pm

Hmm.. a smooth blend would probably be a Guatemalan and a Mexican mixed 50/50. Full City or Full City+ roast.

The Video Game Music Place - www.vgmplace.com
The Sonic Corner - www.soniccorner.com
JD Harding . org - www.jdharding.org
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Sep 23, 2010, 9:08pm

Uhh.. You are opening a coffee shop, and are going to be roasting your own coffee, and you haven't even used the roaster yet, and are wondering about how to create a blend...? DUDE! You are either braver than I have ever been (and I was a firefighter) or have more money than you know what to do with! Becoming a competent roaster for commercial purposes can take years. It is not terribly difficult to roast but to be able to create a blend and roast that you can duplicate over any length of time (particularly as the crops change) takes a master's touch. Your customers will want a taste they like, and they will expect to get the same taste each time they come in. That's tough to achieve. I have been roasting for ten years and I don't even try to duplicate tastes that way.

I highly suggest you hire someone to help you get started with the roasting and to teach you how.

I met the folks from Coffee-Tech and their roaster looked quite impressive. I even offered to write their owner's manual... They didn't bite. I hope you got the 2kg model.

Keep us appraised as to your progress.. a website would be cool.. not that I would know..  ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffee1

Posted Fri Sep 24, 2010, 4:54am

I will be operating a small roasting company and will not be serving liquid. However you are correct in saying that it takes a period of time to perfect a consistent roast. So, I will need to understand crop changes, varieties and roast techniques through education; talking with people on-line;  meeting people in person; and through trial and error.

I will be roasting SO to start with and move towards a blend. I have been in contact with employees from Coffee-Teck and they claim that creating a SO is not difficult as long as you have a good green bean to roast. Obviously, I am taking a risk, but I have done this with other successful business ventures. No guarantees, but I am willing to give it my best shot.

The roaster is the 2kg model.

Website is on its way!

I will let you know how it goes (both good and bad).

drew
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Expresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.273367166519)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+