Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
milk hot, not creamy
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > milk hot, not...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dsbrown

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: livia 90 semi-auto
Grinder: mazzer mini
Posted Mon May 3, 2004, 12:15pm
Subject: milk hot, not creamy

I have gotten better with my frothing technique, but i still do not get 'latte art' quality milk. I put the pitcher in the freezer prior to pouring the milk into it to get it to it's coldest temp. By the way, i use 2% milk. After I put the milk in the pitcher, it goes back in the freezer. I am only making enough for 1 drink so i try and get the milk as cold as possible to extend frothing time.

I leave tip on surface of milk until it reaches approx 80degrees and then i put it as far as i can into the pitcher. at the same time i tilt the pitcher to get a clockwise flow of the milk.

i am following the 'directions' step by step and can still only get semi-creamy milk.

i am using the 2hole tip on the livia 90. the 4 hole brought the milk to 150 too fast.

any suggestions. i need creamy milk!
 View Profile Link to this post
strugs
strugs
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vincent Wega (Wega Lyra)
Grinder: Jules (Mazzer Mini)
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5
Drip: Tray
Roaster: 49th and/or Intelly
Posted Mon May 3, 2004, 12:31pm
Subject: Re: milk hot, not creamy

I had similar problems making microfoam with my new machine up until a week ago.  Does your tip look like the one on the left in the picture below?  I found an obscure post by searching the forums that suggested using more milk with this tip.  Try using 9 or 10oz (1/2 of a medium sized milk pitcher) and try again.  The only problem i have now is that if I am only making one cappuccino, I waste a lot of milk.  I am going to try a different tip to see if that helps me steam smaller quantities.

strugs: steam_tips.jpe

- Sean
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
dsbrown

Espresso: livia 90 semi-auto
Grinder: mazzer mini
Posted Mon May 3, 2004, 12:44pm

the tip on the left is exactly like mine. i re-read the milk frothing guide on the website and think i am going to leave the tip closer to the surface until i reach approx 100d. instead of the 80 i was reaching. this may help create more foam which will hopefully mix in once i spin the pitcher.

how does that sound? i was just looking at latte art examples and now i can't wait to try again!
adelapa
adelapa

Espresso: Vivaldi II
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: no
Drip: Clever Drip
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon May 3, 2004, 1:04pm

I had an older version of the expobar pulser and it came with a tip that looks much like the one on the left in the photo above. I had a lot of trouble getting nice foam, nevermind microfoam. I could do ok if I used a lot of milk, but never with 3-4 ounces. I bought a 3 hole tip from WLL and it helped a bit, but then I lost all my skills and couldn't get any foam at all.  

I exchanged the Pulser for and Expobar Office, and it is the newer version (water tank not exposed, smaller knobs) and the tip is now pointed like the one on the right. It only has one hole.  I can now get really good foam, with only a few ounces, it has made a big difference. I still can not get the microfoam (yet), as when I pour, the foam is too dense and doesn't flow under and up to create the art.  It does, however have a great feel while drinking, so I am happy. The pointed tip and one hole steams slower and gives more control. I would still like to get one of the pointed tips with the 2 holes, but I can't seem to find where to buy them.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
scubadoo97
scubadoo97

Espresso: Solis SL70
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: got one of those too
Drip: Aeropress, Clarity, FP,...
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Mon May 3, 2004, 2:38pm

A great thing about the Solis SL70 is I'm getting microfoam with the single hole steam wand on this machine and I am a neophite at this.  Now getting good straight shots and hitting the sweet spot is a nother thing.
Clark

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Synesso
Grinder: Robur-e/Anfim
Posted Mon May 3, 2004, 3:01pm

What style of pitcher are you using?   The one here is what I started using a couple of weeks ago and it dramatically improved the quality of my microfoam.

Clark: straight.jpg
(Click for larger image)
strugs
strugs
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vincent Wega (Wega Lyra)
Grinder: Jules (Mazzer Mini)
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5
Drip: Tray
Roaster: 49th and/or Intelly
Posted Mon May 3, 2004, 4:21pm

dsbrown Said:

the tip on the left is exactly like mine. i re-read the milk frothing guide on the website and think i am going to leave the tip closer to the surface until i reach approx 100d. instead of the 80 i was reaching. this may help create more foam which will hopefully mix in once i spin the pitcher.

Posted May 3, 2004 link

Best bet is to try it out and see if it works.  I tried stretching to 60, 70, 80, 90 and 100 degrees, and it did not make much difference with small quantities of milk.  It sometimes even seemed that the higher I went, the less foam I ended up with.  The best I could end up when using less than 9oz was hot milk with about 1/3 inch of foam on the top of it.

- Sean
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
mac75r

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 3:34pm

I am having milk frothing problems.  I ws so excited to get my silivia.  I think I'm getting better at pulling at espresso though I'd love to have more crema than I currently have.  I think it's like some of the people said I need to get a grinder that even the fine ground illy espresso isn't fine enough.  Nevertheless the espresso tastes devine just like I was expecting!! My milk, however, no so divine.  It doesn't swirl like people say it should and it expand all teh way to the top with some bubbles on the top but the milk isn't creamy it's watery.  I get better foam with my hand held frother.  What am I doing wrong?beg
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > milk hot, not...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.279156923294)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+