Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Low Tech Auto Tamper Project
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Low Tech Auto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
TheMummaFamily

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Grimac Zola II 3 group &...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Pasquini H269
Vac Pot: We wish.  Aeropress though.
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Corretto=HG/BM
Posted Mon Jul 19, 2010, 4:28pm
Subject: Re: Low Tech Auto Tamper Project

Click Here (www.restaurantequipment.net)

Least expensive juicer I found yet, new.  Anyone got a better one?

"Three of the four elements are variable, but the fourth one has to be adaptable, knowledgeable and intuitive."  Mark Prince Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
wbaguhn
wbaguhn

Espresso: Ponte Vecchio Lusso
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Cory DR
Drip: Vietnamese gadget, AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Jul 19, 2010, 5:03pm

Apologies for OT, but WOW - pricing on OK looking demitasse/saucers.

Are there shipping irregularities?
TheMummaFamily

Posted Mon Jul 19, 2010, 7:58pm

I don't know the place, so we will need to research the integrity of the seller, but those prices are good.  Sam's might have the same.

"Three of the four elements are variable, but the fourth one has to be adaptable, knowledgeable and intuitive."  Mark Prince Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)
TheMummaFamily

Posted Mon Jul 19, 2010, 10:30pm

Click Here (www.samsclub.com)

Click Here (www.samsclub.com)

I found those two interesting.  They change stock constantly though.  

On topic comments to come later.

wbaguhn
wbaguhn

Espresso: Ponte Vecchio Lusso
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Cory DR
Drip: Vietnamese gadget, AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Jul 20, 2010, 4:53am

wbaguhn Said:

Are there shipping irregularities?

Posted July 19, 2010 link

I think I answered my own question - the shipping isn't inexpensive.  For some reason, I thought the shipping was dirt cheap, too.
TheMummaFamily

Posted Tue Jul 20, 2010, 6:09am

Yeah, the shipping was low.  Even about 2.55 for the 24 dollar juicer or thereabouts.  We should check that place out!

TheMummaFamily

Posted Tue Jul 20, 2010, 6:27am

(Excerpted from another thread)

boyscout Said:

Wayne, MaryAnn, in requiring the operator to lift his/her arm and apply pressure to the tamping device you're dreaming up, you haven't gone far enough.  Have a look here:

Versalab power tamper

You sound like you think you've got this all figured out, but as the above illustrates, those may not be laurels you're resting on.  Have you considered nuclear power?

(BTW, I saw this device and the company's grinder in action a while ago.  No, MaryAnn, there is no permanent cure for upgraditis... something else always comes along, and probably always will.)

Posted July 20, 2010 link

lol--yes, true.  It is the hundreds-of-dollars-at-a-time purchases that are the dangerous part of the upgraditis for me.  These mad coffee scientist tweaks are too fun to even want to give up.  :)

calblacksmith Said:

Mark the only issue with the the versalab is the price. MarryAnn wants to make something much less expensive. I know your post was in jest but there are real benefits with a press, I have a manual tamper and used it for a long time before getting the press and I can say that the press is better and much more consistent, and consistency is what we are after....NO?

Posted July 20, 2010 link

It is probably only fair that I give full disclosure here guys: I am also training five barista babies.  They cannot tamp 30 lbs (more like 3-5 lbs for some) with their arm and it seems that we need consistency throughout the group, so I thought an autotamper would be a good solution.  It also can teach them the concept of the 30 lbs and the importance of consistency, which will be a mental bookmark for later when they actually can tamp.  Also, there are easy ways to destroy a puck during a tamp, which I would like to eliminate for now.  Every variable I can control, especially with a group,  is a step in the right direction I think--is that right?

I agree with you too about consistency Wayne. I think an autotamper is a good way to achieve it on a variable that has a lot of impact, (no pun intended) and can easily be done incorectly.  That is why I opened the thread--I know I am not the only CG that wants this inexpensive, homemade contraption.  I wanted to take Wayne up on his offer for help, but do it in the open so that the benefits could be shared.  Don't ever wanna forget the lurkers either.  Love ya lurkers!!

Thanks for helping with this guys, I appreciate it and the children are going to love it!

TheMummaFamily

Posted Tue Jul 20, 2010, 12:03pm

Hey, I think I have a good idea.

Can crusher:

TheMummaFamily: Can crusher.jpg
(Click for larger image)

TheMummaFamily

Posted Tue Jul 20, 2010, 12:10pm

Ok, the lowest tech, cheapest, stuff you have on hand solution I have thought of is this:

the bottom plate of the crusher can be hollowed to allow the tamper to pass through it.
A scale is mounted (levelled first) beneath the crusher
Wooden "base" with basket recess placed atop scale, with notch or window to view numbers on scale.
"tamper" could be a thick disc of wood the proper diameter and mounted to the underside of the top plate of the can crusher, made the proper thickness.

That would make this project four dollars plus tax, a few screws, some scrap wood, and a bit but not a ton of time.  

What do you think?

TheMummaFamily

Posted Tue Jul 20, 2010, 12:11pm

I am still not sold on the "tamper" part of the equation.

showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Low Tech Auto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.311545133591)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+