Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Do you blow on your puck?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Do you blow on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
davidrivers
davidrivers
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V2 + V3 wand
Grinder: Macap M4
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Tue Jun 29, 2010, 11:34am
Subject: Do you blow on your puck?

I imagine that the professional baristas among us probably don't do this, or I would hope so.  However, I brew espresso exclusively for myself at home, and I can't help not blowing on my puck after I tamp and knock it, to remove the grinds that have settled atop my puck.  I even wipe off loose grinds on the rim of the filter basket and edge of the portafilter, wondering if this effort even makes a difference.

I have seen others flip over the puck-compacted portafilter in the air, as if to let gravity remove stray grinds.  I have never gotten used to doing that, afraid I might dump the contents of the filter basket (but I suppose this really shouldn't happen if the contents are sufficiently tamped).

I have seen references to "polishing" the puck.  This is what is meant by that, right?  How do you "polish" your puck?  Does it even matter?

--
David Rivers
http://davidrivers.name
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Ciclisto

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Innova i2
Posted Tue Jun 29, 2010, 1:29pm
Subject: Re: Do you blow on your puck?

I don't blow on it, but I do polish it.  I don't know if it matters.  I tamp, wipe the rim (that does matter, I think, to ensure a good seal on the gasket), then put the tamper back in and just rotate it a bit with light pressure.  It looks nice and neat and smooth, and I have no idea if that makes any difference.
 View Profile Link to this post
wbaguhn
wbaguhn
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Ponte Vecchio Lusso
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Cory DR
Drip: Vietnamese gadget, AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Jun 29, 2010, 11:11pm

Turning the portafilter upside down almost never spills anything for me, even with a fairly light tamp.  Try it - one basket of coffee isn't that expensive.  If it dumps, you can always make another - it only takes a minute.

I don't blow on my coffee puck.

I also don't suck the extra air out of the plastic bag my sliced bread comes in as I close it up.
clumeng

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi II, 67 Cremina
Grinder: Vario, Maestro, Pharos
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex
Posted Tue Jun 29, 2010, 11:48pm

davidrivers Said:

I can't help not blowing on my puck after I tamp and knock it, to remove the grinds that have settled atop my puck.  I even wipe off loose grinds on the rim of the filter basket and edge of the portafilter, wondering if this effort even makes a difference.

Posted June 29, 2010 link

Everyones ritual is different and I seriously doubt that there is a difference in the cup either way. Curious though, the only reason to knock the PF is to get the loose grounds off the side. You should do a second tamp after that to get the puck to look nice.

Note that many don't knock as we are concerned that we might disrupt the integrity of the puck we just tamped which could impact the shot.

Cleaning the rim I think does decrease the amount of crud you have to clean in the group over time.

PS
Sorry...

Must hold in....

But...

Thatswhatshesaid!!!

Back to Jr high
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jun 30, 2010, 4:26am

Seems almost like an inappropriate question.......

davidrivers Said:

...and I can't help not blowing on my puck after I tamp and knock it, to remove the grinds that have settled atop my puck.

Knocking after tamping generally does more harm than good, so probably the best advice is to avoid ever knocking after tamping.
Blow if you must, but generally I'll just invert the portafilter over the knockbox and then swipe the basket rim before locking in.

A few loose grounds on top of the puck or on the basket wall won't make any difference in the cup.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
davidrivers
davidrivers

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V2 + V3 wand
Grinder: Macap M4
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Thu Jul 1, 2010, 3:24pm

wbaguhn Said:

I don't blow on my coffee puck.

I also don't suck the extra air out of the plastic bag my sliced bread comes in as I close it up.

Ha! I do both.

I'll give the PF-flip a shot, though. Thanks for the encouragement!

--
David Rivers
http://davidrivers.name
wfallon

Espresso: Vibiemme DoubleDomo Manual...
Grinder: Baratza Vario!
Vac Pot: Yama (broken..)
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Popcorn poppers!
Posted Thu Jul 1, 2010, 7:30pm

I actually sometimes do!

I find that its the easiest way to clear stray grounds off the rim of the portafilter - I could care less about the stray grounds in the portafilter, since as said above they don't impact the shot. I tend to run a bit on the clumsy side, and have managed to stick a finger in the puck a couple times while trying to wipe the rim - that'll ruin the puck... If I'm preparing for others or even usually in the company of others I'll just to a palm swipe over the rim of the basket instead.

Lol - I also do tend to try and get the air out of plastic baggies when sealing them.... I sense correlation here.....
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jul 3, 2010, 8:45pm

I follow this guys method... :)

Click Here (www.youtube.com)
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
TheMummaFamily

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Grimac Zola II 3 group &...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Pasquini H269
Vac Pot: We wish.  Aeropress though.
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Corretto=HG/BM
Posted Sat Jul 3, 2010, 9:45pm

I feel like I just got RickRolled, lol.  I loved that vid a couple of years ago when I saw it so much that as soon as I saw him in that chair I laughed.  Hehe.

To the op,
I am guilty, yes, but trying to stop.  It just seems like the best way!

"Three of the four elements are variable, but the fourth one has to be adaptable, knowledgeable and intuitive."  Mark Prince Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Jul 9, 2010, 9:16am

Short answer, no

I use a 1" natural bristle paint brush to clean the PF before locking and loading. I long ago stopped knocking the PF in any part of the process. I just fill the PF, level with a chop stick to fill in any low spots, tamp and brush the rim of the PF clean, lock and load and pull. No WDT, no fussing about and the results work well for me. YMMV.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Do you blow on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.31635093689)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+