Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
New member in need of help with a Saeco estro vapore (same as barista)
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > New member in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
chris98

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Estro Vapore
Posted Tue Jan 26, 2010, 10:01am
Subject: New member in need of help with a Saeco estro vapore (same as barista)

Almost without exception in looking for help I would end up on this site. After an hour of reading through the posts and the seeing the wealth of info i decided to join.  

Here is my problem.  I have an old (maybe 7-12Yrs?) Saeco Estro Vapore semi auto espresso machine (essentially the same as the Starbucks Barista) that was not used for a couple of months and had terrible vapor lock when I fired it up last week.  I was able to clear the lock and get water to flow through the steam rod; however, nothing would come out of the brew head.  After a bit of dismantling and trial and error, I discovered that the only way to get water out of the brew head was to remove the silicon head (others refer to it as the mushroom valve) that sits on the top of a spring, which sits in a small brass screw which allows the water to flow through.  the silicone piece is part number 42 on the second page of this diagram: http://www.saecoparts.com/user/Barista%2005.01.pdf  

From my less than complete understanding, it sounds like the small silicone valve keeps the water from flowing through before it has reached the correct temp and pressure.  Yet in my case the machine heats up sufficiently and seems to have pressure; however maybe it isn't enough to press the valve out of the way for the water to flow through.  or maybe it is something completely unrelated?  

I'm not sure what else to try, I've descaled it, cleaned the shower plate, run it with and without the portafilter, loosened the screw (part number 45 in that figure), and tried all of the above at various temperatures (when the machine is cold, warm, and hot).  In the end the only way to get water through is without that small silicone part, which by the way looks to be in great shape.  

I've run out of tricks and live in a part of the country where espresso repair shops are not exactly common.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated --- I'm really in need of a homemade espresso.
 View Profile Link to this post
joey

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Oscar
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Feb 7, 2010, 9:58pm
Subject: Re: New member in need of help with a Saeco estro vapore (same as barista)

not sure that it'll help or not, but i had not used my machine for about a month and i couldnt get it to put anything out of the group either.  i kept switching from brew to steam, and it worked....not sure if its from the higher temp/pressure from being in steam mode or the fact that i had it in brew mode for about 20 seconds before it would brew...after that it worked fine....
good luck!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
chris98

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Estro Vapore
Posted Thu Feb 25, 2010, 3:13pm
Subject: Re: New member in need of help with a Saeco estro vapore (same as barista)

Hi Joey,

Thanks for the suggestion; however, I still can't get it to produce anything from the group. It seems to heat up sufficiently -- get great steam production, but won't put anything out of the group (with or without the screen, with or without the portafilter).  

I even took everything apart --- very clean inside, no scale anywhere.  

Maybe I'll let it sit for a few more weeks then give it another try.  

Thanks again --
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > New member in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.215241909027)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+