Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Concave tamper? Good? No?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Concave tamper?...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JasCoffee

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Apr 11, 2004, 8:25am
Subject: Concave tamper? Good? No?

For easter my mom picked me up one of these:

Click Here (www.table-tools.shoppingguides.org)

my first thought was: "uh oh. gimmick tamper."

However, I gave it a try and it made a half decent pull. Just wondering if any of you have tried one of these or if theres a consensus on them?
 View Profile Link to this post
HB

Posted Sun Apr 11, 2004, 8:38am
Subject: Re: Concave tamper? Good? No?

It didn't fare well in the 2003 Tamper Shootout:

The poor Gourmet Espresso Tamper, which finished just about as low as it could possibly finish - every Baristi we polled ranked it last, except for one. Some questions have been raised in online forums and venues about the promotional material listed on the Gourmet Espresso Tamper's website, which claims several awards and notes of recognition for this tamper. Unfortunately, neither the CoffeeGeek website nor our assembled team of top flight Baristi and testers had anything good to say about it, except perhaps the tamper is a very early beginning - who knows if concave tamping will be good or not. Perhaps once this tamper is reshaped into something that professional Baristi can use (that is, a proper handle, getting rid of the faux diamond, and making it an accurate 58mm size), maybe the concave design will show us if it is capable of a more consistent tamp and shot production.

I don't see it in this year's lineup.  Mark didn't mention if there are any concave entries...

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasCoffee

Posted Sun Apr 11, 2004, 8:40am

Yea, thats why it scared me, I'd never heard of it before.

As far as I can tell it wouldn't give the consistancy of a flat tamper.. right?
bish
bish

Espresso: Giotto Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Maestro+
Vac Pot: No counter space left!!!
Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster
Roaster: Gene Cafe, FrankenRoaster
Posted Sun Apr 11, 2004, 9:28am

It had to happen :)  Flat is/was generally considered the best way.  Convex comes along and a significant number of people try them and declare that they are as good as, if not better than flat.  Another significant number mooch back and forth undecided.  There is sound reasoning regarding the interface between the edge of the puck and the side of the basket that supports the use of a convex tamper.  The use of a concave tamper would IMHO have nothing but a detrimental effect on the channeling effect at the edge of the puck.  I will read with interest if anyone can give me some good reasons why concave is good because I admit that I'm knee-jerking a little here.

The only reason I can see for someone selling concave is because convex has a following and logically (from a purely marketing perspective) there must be a market for the pendulum to swing the other way.  Do I detect some Emperor's New Clothes here?

Cheers
peter
JasCoffee

Posted Sun Apr 11, 2004, 9:31am

bish Said:

It had to happen :)  Flat is/was generally considered the best way.  Convex comes along and a significant number of people try them and declare that they are as good as, if not better than flat.  Another significant number mooch back and forth undecided.  There is sound reasoning regarding the interface between the edge of the puck and the side of the basket that supports the use of a convex tamper.  The use of a concave tamper would IMHO have nothing but a detrimental effect on the channeling effect at the edge of the puck.  I will read with interest if anyone can give me some good reasons why concave is good because I admit that I'm knee-jerking a little here.

The only reason I can see for someone selling concave is because convex has a following and logically (from a purely marketing perspective) there must be a market for the pendulum to swing the other way.  Do I detect some Emperor's New Clothes here?

Cheers
peter

Posted April 11, 2004 link

Well... I mean hypothetically a concave tamper WILL give more surface area for the water to contact -- however it will also change the amount of time it takes for the water on the outside of the basket to move through the coffee compared to the inside... which would hurt consistency.. *shrug* who knows. I imagine its just a preference thing/emperors new clothes as you said.
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Sun Apr 11, 2004, 11:34am

There's convex tampers, which depress the center of the puck and raise the edges -- these have become standard along with flat tampers -- since they work OK with less force and don't require as perfect a fit. The tampers mounted on grinder dosers are very convex and about 56mm; a light tamp using these has become the SOP among most Italian braistas, although the best ones still hand tamp.  After Schomer's switch from flat to convex, there's been a lot of futile theoretical debate about which is better. This is an issue that can only be resolved by a statistical quality control approach -- a few thousand shots tamping with each and checking if one set has significantly more channelled shots.

Then there's the concave tamper from the first post, which leaves a gutter at the edges and a mound in the middle of the puck. This one is simply a bad joke; designed by people who've obviously never pulled a shot in their lives. It actually promotes everything one wants to avoid: channeling via the gutter at the edge, and the infiltration of grounds and coffee oils into the head via the mound in the middle.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Apr 11, 2004, 1:38pm

another_jim Said:

Then there's the concave tamper from the first post, which leaves a gutter at the edges and a mound in the middle of the puck. This one is simply a bad joke; designed by people who've obviously never pulled a shot in their lives. It actually promotes everything one wants to avoid: channeling via the gutter at the edge, and the infiltration of grounds and coffee oils into the head via the mound in the middle.

Posted April 11, 2004 link

I had a recent email from the gourmet tamper folks that contained a bit of revisionist history and a demand that we remove any comments about their tamper from this website.  In short,

• they emphasised how their tamper was designed for steam driven machines and that we (CG) said it would be tested only on these machines (the latter is definitely not true)

• they emphasised that the tamper shouldn't be evaluated by professionals in the biz, and that we (CG) never said we would let pros use it (again, the latter is not true)

And a bunch of other revisionist things. I guess they are upset because the product doesn't do so well, and CG's google ranking usually returns this site first on a search for tampers.

Fortunately, I keep copies of most of my email. I re-sent the fellow the tamper shootout invitation (which outlined how the tampers would be tested, who would test them, and what equipment would be used)... I also sent him an old email that contained correspondence between he and I... his portion of the email actually acknowledged that pros would be evaluating the tampers.

Haven't heard from them since. My own thoughts on the tamper stand. I would like to try a full 58mm version of the tamper with a proper handle (and no gutter), but all that Jim wrote will probably be true - water levels... so it will level at the edges of the packed puck. And water follows the path of least resistance under pressure... so it will probably plow through the edges and leave the center portion less than fully extracted.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
GoAway
GoAway
Posted Sun Apr 11, 2004, 11:39pm

Introducing the Whammo by GoAway Enterprises!

The Whammo tamper is a unique product that every barista will love. The head of the tamper is made from an expensive Italian aluminum meat tenderizer mallet. When used to pack the ground coffee, it creates 16 precisely spaced pyramid indentations in the coffee, 1/4" deep. This effectively doubles the surface area of the coffee allowing for more water contact in a short amount of time. Result: a faster and fuller extraction without any of the bitters getting into your cup.  Try one today! $199.99 MSRP, yours on d'bay Buy It Now! $97.95

Now, now; perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything!
BSOD
BSOD

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso Deluxe
Grinder: Imat Lux
Drip: FP - Various
Roaster: Hmm . . . .
Posted Tue Apr 13, 2004, 4:22am

GoAway Said:

Introducing the Whammo by GoAway Enterprises!

The Whammo tamper is a unique product that every barista will love. The head of the tamper is made from an expensive Italian aluminum meat tenderizer mallet.....

Hey - is that anything like the "coffee bean hammer" listed on this site?
bobpaule
bobpaule
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Venus, Enrico...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rancilio Rocky...
Drip: I'd rather seize!
Roaster: Galloping G/Stir Crazy, FR8...
Posted Sat Aug 7, 2004, 6:18pm

HAHAHA

BSOD you hit it right on the head.

OMG i knew some people were ignorant, but the description of that poor tamper made me almost fall off the chair
laughing. Even my 1 yr old threw herself on the floor laughing at daddy's funny posturing.

That one should definitely go into the annals.

We should ask The Kid to open a column on espresso humor.

Sorry but your link made my day:) I guess i am easy to amuse living in the midwest.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Concave tamper?...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.348419189453)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+