Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Starbucks Barista
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Starbucks...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
wcgriffin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Posted Wed Dec 31, 2003, 1:11pm
Subject: Starbucks Barista

Just got a new Barista for Christmas,  and I love it. I have just one question. Does anyone know if you can use a commercial portafilter instead of their pressurized one. I would love to play around a little bit more with it.
 View Profile Link to this post
kouhii

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Classico SS
Grinder: Looking
Vac Pot: Bodum Press
Drip: Frequently. See "Location"
Posted Wed Dec 31, 2003, 9:11pm
Subject: Re: Starbucks Barista

From what I understand, the Barista uses the Saeco pressurized portafilter. I've seen references to a non-pressurized portafilter by Saeco, which would most likely fit (I don't imagine pressurized portafilters in multiple sizes). Check with any dealer in your area who carries Saeco to see if you can order one in, and if it is compatible. From what I've seen on various sites, it should cost you about $35.

kouhii
JR
JR

Espresso: New but inop Quickmill...
Grinder: Baratza Forté, Cunill...
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Wed Dec 31, 2003, 10:30pm

Besides being pressurized, the Barista (Saeco) uses a 53mm. portafilter.  Most "commercial" machines use a 58mm. portafilter.

I did a search in the forum to see if anyone mentioned where they bought their nonpressurized portafilter, and I couldn't find it.  Bloocanary should be able to provide the name of a supplier--he recently bought one.

Jack

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Rhinoevans

Espresso: La Spaziale S1, Starbucks...
Grinder: Rocky DL
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: N/A
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Jan 1, 2004, 9:16am

I also received this from SAECO in responce to the non pressurized portafliter::

You can call us directly at 800-933-7876 to place your order
wcgriffin

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Posted Thu Jan 1, 2004, 2:42pm

Thanks I will look into it.
sjd

Posted Thu Jan 1, 2004, 2:53pm

What's a pressurized portafilter?  I've also seen it referenced in the review of the Solis SL70, where it was suggested NOT to use the pressurized pf that comes with the machine, but to use a "normal" pf.

What does the pressurized pf do?  How does it work?   How is this different in operation from a non-pressurized pf? What are the benefits/drawbacks?  Is this enough questions for one post ?  (8(|)

Thanks in advance!

Steve
melvy

Espresso: Quickmill Anita PID
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Technivorm KBTS
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Jan 1, 2004, 4:46pm

there's some info on what the pressurized pf does and how it works in this thread here.

i owned a barista athena for 3 years with a pressurized pf. when i upgraded to miss silvia and entered the world of the non-pressurized pf, i noticed a few things. first, the "simulated," or "manufactured" crema of the non-pressurized pf doesn't linger. it's thinner, and while it looks robust during the pour, if you allow the shot to settle, most of it will disappear. with the non-presurized pf, the crema is thick, hangs on the top of the shot, and sticks to the side of your cup. also, a pressurized pf can produce crema with stale, old coffee, because of the introduction of air. this dissipates, of course, but a non-pressurized wouldn't be so kind as to simulate.

drawbacks to the pressurized pf are the above... a lesser shot quality /  crema quality, and less overall control of the pour. a potential benefit is ease of use / forgiveness. a pressurized pf is less finnicky, and does not require meticulous attention to tamping pressure.

i'm sure there are other pluses and minuses... these are the ones i've discovered from my experience.

hope this is helpful...
SquareOne

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea / Saeco Magic
Grinder: Cunill Tranquillo . Solis...
Drip: Mr. Coffee Thermal Gourmet
Roaster: Fresh Roast +
Posted Thu Jan 1, 2004, 8:21pm

melvy Said:

there's some info on what the pressurized pf does and how it works in this thread here.

drawbacks to the pressurized pf are the above... a lesser shot quality /  crema quality, and less overall control of the pour. a potential benefit is ease of use / forgiveness. a pressurized pf is less finnicky, and does not require meticulous attention to tamping pressure.

i'm sure there are other pluses and minuses... these are the ones i've discovered from my experience.

hope this is helpful...

Posted January 1, 2004 link

The taste of espresso made from a machine with a pressurized portafilter seems to have an intrinsic sharpness to it , while an espresso from a machine with a non-pressurized portafilter appears to have no such a priori characteristics .
Rhinoevans

Espresso: La Spaziale S1, Starbucks...
Grinder: Rocky DL
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: N/A
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Jan 1, 2004, 8:58pm

I think I have talked myself into believing that the non pressurized portafilter taste better
JR
JR

Espresso: New but inop Quickmill...
Grinder: Baratza Forté, Cunill...
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Fri Jan 2, 2004, 7:09am

Rhinoevans Said:

I think I have talked myself into believing that the non pressurized portafilter taste better

Posted January 1, 2004 link

Since you already have an adequate grinder (Gaggia MDF), you should be able to get better results.  Just don't expect it immediately.  This will take some practice.

Jack

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Starbucks...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.279013156891)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+