Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Difference between "Pre-infusion" and "Infusion" and a proposed definition
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Difference...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
AlanRicky

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2007, 3:10am
Subject: Difference between "Pre-infusion" and "Infusion" and a proposed definition

I get the impression that most people who use the word "pre-infusion" in the epresso world mean "infusion".  The New Oxford Dictionary defines infusion as "process of preparing a drink ... by soaking the leaves of a plant or herbs in a liquid".

Being logical, if you use the prefix "pre-" then you are saying that "pre-infusion" is something that is done before infusion.  However everytime I see the word "pre-infusion used in the epsresso world, people seem to be referring to soaking or wetting ground coffee prior to the extraction phase.  In the espresso world we should just say "infusion" for this.

Now, in the filter coffee world, it would be correct to describe the wetting of the coffee for some seconds as "pre-infusion", because what comes afterward is "infusion".

I propose the following definitions:

1. wetting of ground coffee for a short period of time in filter coffee processes: "pre-infusion"

2. wetting of ground coffee for a short period of time in espresso coffee processes: "infusion".

I would love to have your opinions on the above.
 View Profile Link to this post
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Mon Jun 18, 2007, 10:39am
Subject: Re: Difference between "Pre-infusion" and "Infusion" and a proposed definition

AlanRicky Said:

I get the impression that most people who use the word "pre-infusion" in the epresso world mean "infusion".  The New Oxford Dictionary defines infusion as "process of preparing a drink ... by soaking the leaves of a plant or herbs in a liquid".

Being logical, if you use the prefix "pre-" then you are saying that "pre-infusion" is something that is done before infusion.  However everytime I see the word "pre-infusion used in the epsresso world, people seem to be referring to soaking or wetting ground coffee prior to the extraction phase.  In the espresso world we should just say "infusion" for this.

Now, in the filter coffee world, it would be correct to describe the wetting of the coffee for some seconds as "pre-infusion", because what comes afterward is "infusion".

I propose the following definitions:

wetting of ground coffee for a short period of time in filter coffee processes: "pre-infusion"

wetting of ground coffee for a short period of time in espresso coffee processes: "infusion".

I would love to have your opinions on the above.

Posted April 24, 2007 link

No, it is not right for the espresso section.

As described in the article, there is some water first to wet the coffee ground w/o pressure, and pause for a second and then start again the normal infusion or extraction procedure.  then, espresso comes out.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
mrgnomer
mrgnomer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Silvia, Olympia...
Grinder: Zass., Macap M4 stepless,...
Vac Pot: Yama, Bodum E Santos
Drip: French Press, ibrik, Moka...
Roaster: Hottop programmable, IRoast2
Posted Wed Jun 20, 2007, 7:37pm
Subject: Re: Difference between "Pre-infusion" and "Infusion" and a proposed definition

Pre infusion with respect to espresso extraction to my understanding is a valid term.  From what I've read and experienced it's the period of time water is introduced to packed grinds under low pressure to saturate the grinds before full pump pressure is applied.  It's a feature of the e61 designed group which has a chamber that fills up when the pump is activated.  During the preinfusion time fresh grinds have the chance to expand or bloom which helps pack them tighter into the basket and seal them in.  It's been attributed to the forgiveness factor of e61 extractions since this initial period of blooming reduces the possiblity of premature channelling under full pump pressure which could spoil the extraction.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Sun Jun 24, 2007, 3:36am

mrgnomer Said:

Pre infusion with respect to espresso extraction to my understanding is a valid term.  From what I've read and experienced it's the period of time water is introduced to packed grinds under low pressure to saturate the grinds before full pump pressure is applied.  It's a feature of the e61 designed group which has a chamber that fills up when the pump is activated.  During the preinfusion time fresh grinds have the chance to expand or bloom which helps pack them tighter into the basket and seal them in.  It's been attributed to the forgiveness factor of e61 extractions since this initial period of blooming reduces the possiblity of premature channelling under full pump pressure which could spoil the extraction.

Posted June 20, 2007 link

Yes, it is fully correct.  But it is not only about e61 group, but any group head can be done in different ways.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
fifthgen

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro, Astoria CKX
Grinder: Maz. Major, Casadio, Isomac...
Drip: Capresso st600 chemex,
Roaster: Karma Coffee, Black Cat...
Posted Sun Jun 24, 2007, 5:50am

I get the impression that most people who use the word "pre-infusion" in the espresso world mean "infusion".  The New Oxford Dictionary defines infusion as "process of preparing a drink ... by soaking the leaves of a plant or herbs in a liquid".

The writers of the New Oxford dictionary have no idea of high-espresso making or what an E-61 group really is, (in terms of function and effect on taste).  In our discussions of our specialized vocabulary they have no authority. The do not set the standard among espresso afficionados.  Communities do.

I believe that,  in espresso making, pre-infusion is wetting the grounds at minimal pressure, and infusion is exposing the grounds to the full pressure of the brewing process usually 9 ATM. This can be accomplished through a variety of methods (e.g manual (lever on the e-61 or mechanically (Nuova Simonelli).

Radical redefinition is usually best left to those who have a prominent influence on the state of the art.

Good coffee to you and your guests
 View Profile Link to this post
mrgnomer
mrgnomer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Silvia, Olympia...
Grinder: Zass., Macap M4 stepless,...
Vac Pot: Yama, Bodum E Santos
Drip: French Press, ibrik, Moka...
Roaster: Hottop programmable, IRoast2
Posted Sun Jun 24, 2007, 9:20am

quote303813]

AlanRicky Said:

I get the impression that most people who use the word "pre-infusion" in the espresso world mean "infusion".  The New Oxford Dictionary defines infusion as "process of preparing a drink ... by soaking the leaves of a plant or herbs in a liquid".

Posted April 24, 2007 link

Could be just trying to shorten preinfusion to 'infusion.  With respect to espresso, extraction could be more applicable than infusion by definition.

Yes, pre-infusion with respect to wetting the puck before full pressure is applied can be done in different ways.  With a lever just holding the piston in a position that opens the water inlet introduces water at boiler pressure for as long as you want to.  I think some even mod their pumps to have direct control of pump output and can control not only time but the pressure of preinfusion.  With a semi automatic lever activated pump machine pulling the lever just 1/2 way opens the water inlet but doesn't activate the pump, from what I've read, so that's another way to fool around with pre infusion if you want.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Difference...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.291342973709)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+