Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Anyone else use Weiss distribution technique?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Anyone else use...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 8 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Philosopher

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Tue Apr 17, 2007, 3:15am
Subject: Re: Anyone else use Weiss distribution technique?

MarkG Said:

I am using a flour sifter (a poor man version of a doser), which I've bought at  a dollar store for $3.5 canadians and it does the job of braking clumps better than just by stirring in the cup with the needle.

Posted April 16, 2007 link

Mark,

I think you have the come upon the best device to remove lumps.  I wish I could find such a compact sifter.    Perhaps future grinders could incorporate a drive mechanism thatboth grinds and then sifts the coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
diab0lus

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Silvia w/ PID, preinfusion...
Grinder: Rocky
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Ambex YM2, Hottop w/ variac
Posted Thu Apr 19, 2007, 11:05pm

MarkG Said:

I am using a flour sifter (a poor man version of a doser), which I've bought at  a dollar store for $3.5 canadians and it does the job of braking clumps better than just by stirring in the cup with the needle.

This is a really effective way of doing things and gets rid of all clumps.  I started doing this last week after I spotted the sieve from across the kitchen while grinding coffee.  I can't tell size of the mesh in your sifter, but the one I have is about 24 squares per inch, so it takes a little while for everything to make it through.  A few larger pieces of left over drip grind don't make it through the sieve.  Also, the screen that I am using will catch some of the chaff that made it into the grinder.

I had an idea this week similar to yours that involves a sifter attached to a steep-sided steel funnel that tapers down to the PF size.  Everything would be attached and the funnel would have three legs that extended down to the counter top so that the height of the unit could be adjusted over the basket to reduce spillage.  Now I just need to make one.

Ryan
1or2lumps
1or2lumps
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Premium Plus
Grinder: Mazzer Major, KitchenAid...
Drip: FP, PO, AP
Roaster: Behmor; Poppery II
Posted Sat Apr 21, 2007, 11:27pm

I just wanted to share my personal results with this technique.  I found a small organic yogurt container from Trader Joes that fits the small portafilter of my *$ Barista quite well.  Trying to grind directly into the container and portafilter resulted in static problems that I normally don't have to deal with, but the results, oh the results, more than make up for any inconvenience.

I have been struggling with shot time and quality ever since I purchased my grinder and espresso machine.  It has been a frustrating journey I will admit.  Today, I think I achieved a personal nirvana with my setup.  I have never had an espresso pour that stayed at the same flow throughout the pour.  

I can't really describe how happy I am with my first use of this technique.  I never really wanted to make the best espresso in the world, but I wanted to make something better than subpar cafes serve.  I now have confidence that my setup will work.  It's almost laughable that the improvement in my espresso today really had nothing to do with the grinder or machine.  

Thanks
espressme
espressme
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Conti,Cremina,Astra,LaPav
Grinder: Faema MPN,Mazzer SJ,Vario
Posted Tue Apr 24, 2007, 1:01pm

MarkG Said:

Say guys, The sifter works like a champ and fits into my 49mm baskets perfectly. I pulled the pf support from my Rocky and grind into the sifter on top of the pf and basket. 3 scoops 21gr. gives about 16+ in the basket after sifting. Tap, Level and tamp as usual. The sifter is bumped against the side of a wastebasket and is CLEAN and ready for the next shot.  Shots are greater and the puck is perfect! Where? This one was Goodwill NIB for 99
Thanks
richard
MarkG

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ02
Grinder: Macap M4 stepless converted...
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: UFO/TO, Poppery II
Posted Tue Apr 24, 2007, 8:35pm

espressme Said:

3 scoops 21gr. gives about 16+ in the basket after sifting

Posted April 24, 2007 link

Well, Richard, I'm glad to hear that sifter works for you as well, but I can not help noticing such a big waste of coffee (almost 5gr). After sifting I lose no coffee at all. Some coffee used to run away from the hole for the pulling rod, but I've plugged it and now it's perfect. To clean the remaining coffee from the sifter at the end, I just give it a few raps on the side and thats it. The whole thing takes just 15-20 sec.

MarkG: IMG_1648.JPG
(Click for larger image)
espressme
espressme

Espresso: Conti,Cremina,Astra,LaPav
Grinder: Faema MPN,Mazzer SJ,Vario
Posted Wed Apr 25, 2007, 4:24pm

MarkG Said:

Well, Richard, I'm glad to hear that sifter works for you as well, but I can not help noticing such a big waste of coffee (almost 5gr). After sifting I lose no coffee at all. Some coffee used to run away from the hole for the pulling rod, but I've plugged it and now it's perfect. To clean the remaining coffee from the sifter at the end, I just give it a few raps on the side and thats it. The whole thing takes just 15-20 sec.

Posted April 24, 2007 link

Hi Mark,
Your method works well for you and that is as it should be.
I only make 1-2 shots ( usually ristrettos) a day and a half pound lasts too long anyway. I also trash the first grams in the grinder after putting in the three scoops( 21 gr.) So 6grams of wastage and overfill won't cause me a problem. Some Baristas waste more than that doing a Stockfleth when working.

Remember, I have a double basket and I like to get more than 14gr of fresh grind.

Bye the way, some of the real expensive grinders do have a sifter in the exit pass of the burrs as their doser. The sweep is attached to the conical burr.

Again the thread is a great godsend for me, My Weiss wasn't too good and the sifter is great!
Thanks all!
sincerely
richard
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Wed Apr 25, 2007, 11:24pm

Just to echo what I've already stated on H-B: this sounds like a fine idea to me. Any technique that produces evenly distributed clump-free grounds in the filter basket is worth exploring. I'll have to give this a try. Nice work!
____
John
eastbaysanfranman
eastbaysanfranman

Espresso: Nueva Simmoneli Oscar
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Technivorm/Chemex/Espro...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 3:52am

Ok, newbie here, digging up the past from the grave. Quick question. Wouldn't it be easier to just dose into a separate container such as a paper cup, WDT in the cup and then pour the grounds into the portafilter as opposed to cutting yogurt cups so on and so forth? Are even easier if you have a Vario you could just WDT right in the container provided. Is there thought that it is always better to grind directly into a portafilter as opposed to a separate container so as not to lose to much aroma/flavor into the air?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 7:45am

No I don't WDT. I use a good grinder and dose straight into the coffee basket.

The point of it is to break up clumps, if you did it in another container then dump into the coffee basket, you will get clumps back and you are in the same place.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PrivateShrink

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Gaggia MDF, Macap M4
Vac Pot: French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 Roaster
Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 9:10am

I have used the WDT for so long it's second nature. I guess it might actually keep the area a bit cleaner since the yogurt cup keeps coffee from flying off the edge of the portafilter. Bottom line is if you like the end result of good coffee, you're doing it right whatever you're doing.
showing page 8 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Anyone else use...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.346027851105)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+