Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Anyone else use Weiss distribution technique?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Anyone else use...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 9 last page next page
Author Messages
PrivateShrink

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Gaggia MDF, Macap M4
Vac Pot: French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 Roaster
Posted Fri Apr 14, 2006, 7:10pm
Subject: Anyone else use Weiss distribution technique?

I just started using the technique in which you cut out a yogurt cup, essentially use it as a funnel and boundary for the portafilter and get rid of clumps by swishing  around the grounds with a needle. I'm surprised at how well it works to reduce channeling. Just wondering if anyone else does this?
 View Profile Link to this post
Reighlok
Reighlok
Posted Fri Apr 14, 2006, 8:53pm
Subject: Re: Anyone else use Weiss distribution technique?

I thought I was until I just now heard about the yogurt cup.... I think I use JonR's modified version....
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Fri Apr 14, 2006, 9:40pm

Reighlok Said:

I thought I was until I just now heard about the yogurt cup.... I think I use JonR's modified version....

Posted April 14, 2006 link

Hi Kyle. Here's a link to my article, which describes the WDT in detail. The yogurt funnel is not only a convenience to reduce mess, but also contributes to consistent dosing. Variations on this approach will certainly work (some of my early posts on CG mention stirring with a needle without a funnel), but this is the one that works best for me.

- John
Jasonian
Jasonian
Expertise: Professional

Posted Fri Apr 14, 2006, 10:12pm

I only use it when I need to, and then, only at home.  It's very time-consuming on the bar at work, and I'm not sure I like it 100%.  I see a small flaw in it, but it's not as big of a deal as channeling, and I don't have the time to go into it right now.

So.. I guess I do? sans the yogurt cup.

www.AJCoffeeCo.com - www.espressotrainer.com - www.TX-Coffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
mattyj
mattyj

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Hario Mocha 3 Cup ... broken...
Posted Sat Apr 15, 2006, 5:15am

I'm lovin it! Much more even extractions (from what I can read from my naked pf), which is resulting in much nicer espresso.

I wouldn't use it if I was workin in a cafe though ... I'd just waste more coffee to get a more even distribution.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Nawakwa1

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Apr 17, 2006, 4:19am

I just started using it and it has made a HUGE difference.
I started with a yogurt cup but ended up making something better. I cut a baby bottle cap down to form the funnel.
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Posted Mon Apr 17, 2006, 9:44am

Nawakwa1 Said:

I just started using it and it has made a HUGE difference.
I started with a yogurt cup but ended up making something better. I cut a baby bottle cap down to form the funnel.

Posted April 17, 2006 link

Hi Greg. Glad to hear this is helping. Could you post a pic of your funnel? Suggestions for improvements are always welcome!

Regards - John
k7qz

Espresso: Elektra A3 & Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Kony & Mini E
Vac Pot: Cona, Hario
Drip: What's that?
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Mon Apr 17, 2006, 10:09am

I think it's helpful!  I suppose if I were a polished pro barista it might not be as beneficial as I would have my technique optimized already from years behind the espresso machine.  OTOH, as the mere espresso mortal that I am, it's a slick little improvment to my distribution.  FWIW, I find that my Rocky grinder benefits a bit more from the WDT than my Mazzer does.

Yogurt cup, yeah it helps- seems to keep the grinds from slopping out on the counter with stirring.  Hardest part is cutting the darn Yogurt cup square so there are no gaps around the PF basket...

Hey John- do you cut your Yogurt cups so they fit inside the basket or outside the basket rim?  Maybe it doesn't matter?
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Posted Mon Apr 17, 2006, 10:23am

k7qz Said:

I think it's helpful!  I suppose if I were a polished pro barista it might not be as beneficial as I would have my technique optimized already from years behind the espresso machine.  OTOH, as the mere espresso mortal that I am, it's a slick little improvment to my distribution.  FWIW, I find that my Rocky grinder benefits a bit more from the WDT than my Mazzer does.

Yogurt cup, yeah it helps- seems to keep the grinds from slopping out on the counter with stirring.  Hardest part is cutting the darn Yogurt cup square so there are no gaps around the PF basket...

Hey John- do you cut your Yogurt cups so they fit inside the basket or outside the basket rim?  Maybe it doesn't matter?

Inside the rim. Check the pix in the H-B article.

The nice thing about plastic is that it deforms a bit, so you can wedge the funnel inside the filter basket fairly securely, then pop it out easily when you're done stirring. The bad thing is that it's, ahem, less than aesthetically pleasing. If this catches on, perhaps some enterprising individual would consider manufacturing and selling a more polished version of the funnel, complete with stirring tool. :-)
LibertyPatriot
LibertyPatriot
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: KitchenAid ProLine
Grinder: KitchenAid ProLine
Drip: Cruisinart
Roaster: Kitchen Gourmet popper
Posted Tue Apr 18, 2006, 9:32am

RapidCoffee Said:

If this catches on, perhaps some enterprising individual would consider manufacturing and selling a more polished version of the funnel, complete with stirring tool. :-)

Something like a home canning funnel with a long neck and a short stainless skewer (sp?)...  or the stainless funnels they use at malt shops that keep the milk from splashing out of the cup.  I bet if you went to a commercial kitchen supply shop they may have just what you're looking for.  Getting the right size to fit the various filter baskets would be the challenge.

I have tried it, but without a Naked PF it's hard to tell if it made much difference.  Of course I just used a toothpick and no funnel, but it did seem to help make the puck much smoother and tamp more even.

Don't ask me, I'm new here...
showing page 1 of 9 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Anyone else use...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.31680893898)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+