Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
How to clean steam wand on Isomac Tea?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > How to clean...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bkazez
bkazez
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Not since visiting Italy!
Posted Fri Dec 10, 2004, 6:55am
Subject: How to clean steam wand on Isomac Tea?

I'm having some trouble cleaning the steam wand on my Isomac Tea. After steaming, I open the steam valve a bit to clean the milk out of the wand, set down the milk pitcher, and wipe the wand with a cloth. I really have to scrub, though, and I find I can't get the grooves near the tip clean. As a result, there's a build-up of brown, very hard, dried milk in and near the grooves. What's the best way to clean this, and what's the best way to prevent future accumulation?

Ben

Ben Kazez
http://www.benkazez.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Descartes
Descartes

Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Bodum Chambord FP
Roaster: GG/SC
Posted Fri Dec 10, 2004, 7:17am
Subject: Re: How to clean steam wand on Isomac Tea?

If you wet your cloth you'll have a much easier time.  That's generally what I do, but it still doesn't get everything.  I take the tip off and clean it along with my normal semi-weekly cleaning procedure.
 View Profile Link to this post
bkazez
bkazez

Drip: Not since visiting Italy!
Posted Fri Dec 10, 2004, 7:21am

I'm actually using a wet (damp, really) cloth already.

How do you do your weekly cleaning of the tip?

Ben Kazez
http://www.benkazez.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kevinsp75
kevinsp75

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: La Pavoni PGC
Drip: Melitta #2 cone, Clarity,...
Roaster: Coffee Exchange in...
Posted Fri Dec 10, 2004, 7:52am

I bought a cheapo toothbrush that I put in with my espresso cleaning kit.  I use it solely for this purpose.  It works well to clean the ridge around the top of the steam tip, and the bristles are long enough to clean the inside of the tip when it is removed.  Steam up a mug of hot water, a few brush strokes, and it's clean.

My love for you is like a truck.  Berserker!
MPantani
MPantani

Espresso: Isomac Millennium
Grinder: Pasquini Moka
Drip: Never
Posted Fri Dec 10, 2004, 2:39pm

bkazez Said:

I'm having some trouble cleaning the steam wand on my Isomac Tea. After steaming, I open the steam valve a bit to clean the milk out of the wand, set down the milk pitcher, and wipe the wand with a cloth. Ben

Posted December 10, 2004 link

Here's a thought - it sounds like when you run the steam through the wand after foaming, the heat might be baking the milk onto the stainless steel.  Try wiping with a wetted cloth right after taking the pitcher off.  Once the outside is clean, run some steam through it to blow out the tip.  If there's built up crud on the wand, I've had sucess putting water in the pitcher and steaming it.  The heat and swirling action loosens the gunk so it can be wiped off easily.  

I've seen people leave the wand immersed in a pitcher of water overnight.  This might have a risk if the machine is turned off and cools down.  The cooling air will shrink and thus suck dirty water up into the wand.  Not likely a big problem since turning on the steam probably blows it out and sterilizes the wand, but it's something to think about.
bobbyque

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Millenium
Grinder: Macap
Posted Fri Dec 10, 2004, 2:45pm

The brown stuff is carmelized lactose (milk sugar).  Cafiza cleans up baked-on milk like magic.  You can use a long narrow container (I swipe one of my wife's rose bud vases) and immerse the whole wand.  Just let it soak about five minutes.
MPantani
MPantani

Espresso: Isomac Millennium
Grinder: Pasquini Moka
Drip: Never
Posted Fri Dec 10, 2004, 4:08pm

Great tip!  I thought Calfiza worked only on coffee.  Thanks.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > How to clean...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.377830982208)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+