Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Which is better? Isomac or ECM
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Which is better?...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
pballeur

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Oct 10, 2004, 10:47am
Subject: Which is better? Isomac or ECM

Hello,

I'm about to buy a espresso machine. Can somebody give me some advice. I want to choose between these two machines

Isomac Millenium or the ECM Giotto.

I can buy them second hand, less then 1 year old. With garantee.

thanks for the advice
 View Profile Link to this post
DanBollinger

Espresso: modified Isomac Millenium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini w/ single doser
Roaster: Building a 1# sample roaster
Posted Sun Oct 10, 2004, 3:36pm
Subject: Re: Which is better? Isomac or ECM

Six of one, half-a-dozen of another. They are damn near interchangeable from what I can tell. I have an IM.  It is a little taller than the Giotto. The Giotto has a 1.8l boiler compared to the IM's 1.4, however the IM has a 1400W heater to the Giottos 1300W.  Like I said, damn near a wash. Durn things even have the same knobs.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
HB

Posted Sun Oct 10, 2004, 5:18pm

DanBollinger Said:

Six of one, half-a-dozen of another. They are damn near interchangeable from what I can tell.

Posted October 10, 2004 link

From the outside and for many major components, I agree.  But if you take off the covers and compare, it's not difficult to find differences between two E61 espresso machines.  For example, below is the ECM Giotto Premium (left) and Isomac Rituale (right).  Here's a few things that jump out at me (please ignore the gauge and white tubing on the left that I added):

1. Giotto has a commercial grade expansion valve
  2. Giotto has a resettable over-limit temperature switch
  3. Rituale pressurestat is directly on top of the boiler; Giotto sets it off to the side, subjecting it to less heat
  4. Giotto has a commercial Gicar auto-fill controller located off the floor of the machine by 1-1/2" with the open end facing downward and pump plumbing below the electronics; Rituale has a Giemme controller less than 1/4" off the floor with the open end facing right and pump plumbing above the electronics. In the event of a leak, which is more likely to get a shower?  Also notice the SSR on the floor of the Rituale (the Giotto has no need for one)
  5. Rituale has an overflow catch for the pressure relief safety
  6. Rituale has a solid stainless steel floor; Giotto has painted metal

I could go on about the differences in attention to assembly and wiring routing, but I think the photo renders it self-evident.  Some may dismiss these points as engineering minutia that means nothing to consumers, but I wouldn't call these two machines interchangeable in materials and workmanship.  In terms of shot quality, I found no difference.

-- Dan

HB: giotto_premium_rituale.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.home-barista.com
AlMac

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Reneka Techno, Quaha...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Lux
Posted Mon Oct 11, 2004, 12:11am

HB Said:

wiring routing

Posted October 10, 2004 link

Assume you are using that term loosely when referring to the Isomac.
pballeur

Posted Mon Oct 11, 2004, 2:40am

Ok, thanx for the reactions,

But I asked for the difference between the Giotto and the millenium. And not the Giotto and the Rituale.

Somebody a suggestion?
HB

Posted Mon Oct 11, 2004, 3:28am

pballeur Said:

But I asked for the difference between the Giotto and the millenium. And not the Giotto and the Rituale.

Posted October 11, 2004 link

The Millennium and Rituale are internally equivalent.  If you limit your criteria to espresso performance and appearance, then Dan Bollinger's earlier comments sum it up nicely.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
bigm

Posted Mon Oct 11, 2004, 6:56am

great photos inside ecm dan.

been looking for internal photos for a while.
thanks for the labelling too....pressurestat etc..  always wondered about a few things.

why doesnt ecm do stainless base...surely in production runs would only add 10 or so dollars to the cost ???

i think ecm is laid out a little cleaner but otherwise seem close machines.

reliability seems to be the key to ecm.

why are boilers nickel coated on these machines.    i though copper was best and least likely to flake long term ??

replies appreciated to these questions,

cheers bigm
AlMac

Espresso: Reneka Techno, Quaha...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Lux
Posted Mon Oct 11, 2004, 7:41pm

bigm Said:

why are boilers nickel coated on these machines.    i though copper was best and least likely to flake long term ??

Posted October 11, 2004 link

This thread from alt.coffee has one of the better discussions I have seen generally about boiler material: Click Here (groups.google.com)

Seemed to me that in the end brass/copper/stainless steel was much of a muchness - one material is not clearly better than the others.  Not sure about the Nickle.
zakglass
zakglass

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Macap M4; Baratza Maestro...
Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster CD
Posted Mon Oct 11, 2004, 8:02pm

Dan - thanks for the pics

When I was at Chris' recently and got the internals tour of the Andreja, it had essentially all the same advantages (at least component/construction wise) of the ECM vs. the Millenium. May be worth throwing into the mix, though I guess they're a bit new for finding one second hand. Still, a new Andreja may be close to the same price as a refurb Giotto.

-e.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Which is better?...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.432259082794)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+