Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
How to adjust the brew pressure of a Giotto Premium?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > How to adjust...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
HB

Posted Sat Aug 7, 2004, 8:29pm
Subject: How to adjust the brew pressure of a Giotto Premium?

Any Giotto owners adjusted the brew pressure of their machine?  Below is what I believe is the expansion valve, but it doesn't appear to be adjustable.  I am measuring 11 bar with a portafilter pressure gauge.  There's no built-in gauge to measure during the pull itself, but the shots taste slightly overextracted and I would like to reduce the pressure a little to smooth them out.  Am I overlooking something?

-- Dan

HB: giotto_expansion_valve.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.home-barista.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Sun Aug 8, 2004, 1:00am
Subject: Re: How to adjust the brew pressure of a Giotto Premium?

If you take the valve apart there may be a shim (washer) that you can remove to reduce spring pressure - that's a common method of adjustment in hydraulics. Alternatively, you could fit a weaker spring or install an extra washer in the body which would also reduce the spring tension.

Cheers

Ian

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum
 View Profile Link to this post
HB

Posted Sun Aug 8, 2004, 4:55pm

Thanks Ian!  (thinking out loud)... and yet there's something that doesn't sound right.  Howard (easyrotor) reports the Salvatore has no means of adjusting its brew pressure other than changing the grind (link), the Giotto Premium and Livia 90 (link) apparently have limited means.  This wouldn't be too inconvenient if either of these costly machines had brew pressure gauges, which leads me to wonder...  

Is the message from these manufacturers essentially, "ignore the brew pressure -- it doesn't matter if it is 8.0 bar or 11 bar"?

Update: Excerpt from the thread "Brew Pressure and Salvatore" and my reply, copied here to consolidate the discussion...

jim_schulman Said:

The old line Italian firms never worried much about vibe pump pressure on home machines. Presumably they figured that the coffee and grinder being used wouldn't be too good, and if the pour volume/timing was in the ballpark, the pressure would be too. Even the Cimbali Juniors, which did come with adjustable pressure relief, were set to 15 bar from the plant. In bars, the tech would set it down and plumb the drip tray or reroute it back to the tank (for pourovers).

Italian roasters have bulletins that specify the temperature and pressure they want on each commercial machine model for their blends (Jolly's is somewhere on their site, but I can't find it anymore); so they take a lot more pains with the commercial market than they do the home market. But there really is no home espresso geek culture in Italy like in many other places; for instance, we don't have any Italians posting here, and I'm not aware of any Italian language ngs or forums for home espresso (there are some in almost every other language). So I don't believe they are aware of how their small one group machines are being used almost everywhere else in the world.

Posted August 9, 2004 link

That would explain why some Italian machines are not easily regulated.  But Salvatore's machine is made in the USA and they certainly spared little expense choosing components.  So why would they omit an expansion valve?  I can't think of a disadvantage of installing one (well, other than cost and filling the driptray faster for plumbed units).

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
dspringston

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Salvatore
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Pasquini Moka...
Drip: Old Braun
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sun Aug 8, 2004, 8:25pm

Do large commericial machines actually have a way to adjust the brew pressure or is it strictily up to the operator to get the grind and tamp right?

David
HB

Posted Mon Aug 9, 2004, 5:17am

Yes, commercial machines have a brew pressure adjustment.  They usually have rotary pumps, which have a much greater flow rate than vibratory pumps, so they're capable of running multiple groups.  Most are regulated to between 10 and 8 bar.

-- Dan

PS: Chas Rimpo's S1 website has a good picture of this adjustment, labeled F in Picture 2.

www.home-barista.com
dspringston

Espresso: Salvatore
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Pasquini Moka...
Drip: Old Braun
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Mon Aug 9, 2004, 5:56am

Dan,
Thanks for being so helpful.

David
HB

Posted Fri Oct 8, 2004, 5:31pm
Subject: How to adjust the brew pressure of a Giotto Premium

FYI for future Giotto owners... I took the top off Giotto's expansion valve and indeed it does adjust (below left).  Stick a small screwdriver blade in one of the slots and push the retention washer counter-clockwise to reduce the brew pressure.  It was originally set to 11 bar and about 3/4 turn reduced it to 9 bar.

(continued)

HB: giotto_expansion_valve_adjust.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.home-barista.com
HB

Posted Fri Oct 8, 2004, 5:38pm

While I was there, I added an external brew pressure gauge.  The size of the exit tubing was conveniently 1/4" OD, so I was able to splice in a John Guest push-in tee.  It took longer to get off the covers than add the gauge (six screws for the top, six 7mm bolts for the bottom casing, two 7mm hard-to-reach nuts for the front of the casing).

Updated: See "Help Me Adjust Overpressure Valve on a Giotto Premium" for additional details.

-- Dan

HB: giotto_brew_gauge.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.home-barista.com
bigm

Posted Sat Oct 9, 2004, 8:43am

good work

how did you know where to put the tee etc.   do you have front photo please....love to see the gauge...is it from ecm                                    

did you have to drill the case ?? how long did it take ??

thanks
HB

Posted Sat Oct 9, 2004, 11:28am

M, since this is an evaluation machine, I didn't cut into the casing and used an inexpensive gauge (similar to this one).  The threads "PRESSURE GAUGE on MISS SILVIA?" and "Expobar with Gauge" have hints on installing a built-in gauge, to name just two.  I'm sure the hardest part is driling / cutting the hole; Pepe provides detailed instructions on alt.coffee for doing a very clean job.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > How to adjust...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.506119966507)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+