Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Avanti Minibar
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Avanti Minibar  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JonR10
JonR10
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Oct 1, 2004, 6:46pm
Subject: Avanti Minibar

Partially quoted from another thread...

JonR10 Said:

The shots I pulled today on the Avanti used *freshly roasted beans*  and they were crema-laden, and rich-bodied, with a velvety mouthfeel.  The shots were only about 1 to 1.5 ounces due to the smaller basket size...

The point is that using good beans and a good grind I was able to pull beautiful shots on a VERY cheap (inexpensive) espresso machine.  I wished I had my camera with me but I had used up the battery at work and it was charging.  maybe I'll try again later - I'm doing machine maintenance tonight...

Posted October 1, 2004 link

I found this machine on eBay and it was under $100 after shipping IIRC.  It was damaged in shipping:  The reservior was destroyed and the body was bent up badly.  I spent an afternoon getting the bodywork straightened out and I'm using a plastic jug for a reservoir.  It actually looks pretty sweet now!  

The machine has a semipro (REAL small) pump and a small (I believe it's stainless) boiler (it might be a whole 6oz).  The brew temps are pretty close to ideal for me (188F in the styrofoam cup for ~3 oz.).  The portafilter is chromed brass and it's small, but heavy and the group is heavy brass as well.  The little plastic tamper actually FITS the double basket (the single is worthless AFAIC). The double basket maxes out ~10-12 grams of coffee (as far as I can tell, I don't have a way to accurately measure that)

It has a separate button you hold down for extra-heating the boiler for steam and that works surprisingly well.  I need to practice, but it frothed 6oz of milk in less than a minute (with very strong whirlpool action).

I'll post some pics of it later if y'all are interested.

JonR10: Avanti.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
craigdamico
craigdamico
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: PID-Expobar Pulser w/ Brew...
Grinder: Fiorenzato T-80 Doserless...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon TCA-5D
Drip: "only in my nightmares"
Roaster: 2 Popcorn Poppers
Posted Sun Oct 3, 2004, 2:24am
Subject: Re: Avanti Minibar

Looks cool to me.

After seeing it in person, I love it!
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Avanti Minibar  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.337090969086)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+