Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Commercial espresso machine for doughnut shop
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Commercial...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Doughnutman

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jun 9, 2014, 5:25am
Subject: Commercial espresso machine for doughnut shop

Hello everyone-I own a doughnut shop in the detroit area and have decided to add an espresso machine. I lived in NYC for 20 years and want to bring the Dominican and cuban cafe con leche style coffees to our new store.

From what I've observed, the rancilio classe 6, 7, or 8 seems to be the default machine. I've looked up demos on YouTube and it seems this would be a solid choice.

Would anyone have any info on how to do cuban coffee and cafe con leche on a commercial scale? Everything I' ve seen so far seems skewed to home use.

As you can see, I'm no expert. As much as I want to expand our coffee operation, we are a doughnut shop that sells coffee, not the other way around.

Any advice on the machine and brewing methods mentioned would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Jun 9, 2014, 6:24am
Subject: Re: Commercial espresso machine for doughnut shop

In my opinion, you shouldn't waste your time and money on espresso...unless you're willing to make a major commitment to developing your skills and sending you staff off for at least a 3 day course.  You can make Cuban cafe con leche with a moka pot and Bustelo pre-ground coffee...and it'll probably be a heck of a lot better than what you would make using an espresso machine.  I'm not well versed on how best to do this on commercial scale, but I know it's possible. As a consumer, if you served me lousy espresso (which you will unless you invest a lot of time and money), I would be be an unhappy customer.  Nothing irritates me more in a food retailer than ripping me off by selling me a lousy, uncared for product - especially when it comes to espresso.

Anyhow, just my $0.02

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
johnboddie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jun 9, 2014, 7:31am

The Cuban bakery I always went to in Tampa would serve thimble-sized cafecito (sweetened espresso) using a Rancilio two group system and Bustelo from the can. One person managed the cafecito prep and serving and there were no milk-based drinks offered (at least in the morning.) The coffee lady would put sugar into a small metal pitcher and pull the shot into the pitcher, pouring the cups once the espresso/sugar mixture had been stirred up.
Michael_Teahan
Michael_Teahan
Expertise: Professional

Vac Pot: Vintage for collecting only
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Jun 27, 2014, 2:26pm

Do not be deterred by the "purists" who think that any variation from God Shots are an offense punishable by flogging.

Cuban coffee is very different and any barista north of the panhandle has no idea what it is, how to make it or the caffe culture it serves.  I don't like it, myself, but I respect it as a legitimate and culturally import drink.

John was right on in his observation:  Espresso poured very long into 5 oz. stainless pitchers, lots of sugar and thimble cups for coffee.  Rancilio dominates this market in Florida, but the brand isn't important.  Selling the coffee without the ritual would be risky.  I would recommend leaning towards traditional espresso in execution, brewing into 2 ounces of hot water, and serving Little Havana style.  Not as bitter while retaining the ritual.

You will need a commercial machine to duplicate the process, an equipment distributor should include training as part of the process and a course could provide a good foundation, but no course will teach you how to do what you want to do with Cuban coffee.  Bustello, Naviera or San Giorgia all have experience in this type of coffee and may be able to help.  Anyone discrediting this branch of coffee culture should recall that 20 years ago there were precisely 4 people in the world that thought vacuum pots were worth a damn.  

Times change, don't forget to change with them.

Good luck.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Commercial...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.289349079132)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+