Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rebuilding PROCON Pump
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rebuilding...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
saborcafe

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu May 1, 2014, 9:22am
Subject: Rebuilding PROCON Pump

Hello all,

I recently acquired a Rancilio S20 machine for restoration and among the problems it had, the PROCON pump Series 2 was leaking water from the "weep" holes. I started looking online for tips on rebuilding it and most people said to not dissemble it as they could not easily be repaired. I looked at prices online and said might as well take it apart and see what the fuzz is about. In conclusion, I was able to rebuild the pump without breaking any old parts and only using one special tool, a slide hammer; which a lot of people have so it might not be so special.

1- Remove the large lock ring, cover plate, O-ring (use snap ring or needle nose pliers).
2- Loosen rotor using a press, c-clamp, or hammer. (I removed mine with a hammer, tapped very lightly and it easily slipped out!).
3- Remove rotor and front bearing (they should come out as one piece). The liner and rear bearing stayed inside the pump for me, to be removed later)
4- Pull ball bearing out using a slide hammer with a curved tip, grabbing the inner race (a couple taps and my bearing came out unharmed!).
5- Remove small retaining ring
6- Remove "Mechanical Seal Assembly" (this is what failed for me; the rubber on the part with the spring rotted and allowed water to go through).
7- Remove rear bearing and liner by punching them out from the ball bearing side (I used the largest socket that fit to punch it out completely unharmed!)

Aside from the OVP, the whole pump should be dissembled. Technically if I could find the part with the spring I could put this whole thing back together and be good given that nothing broke. I searched online and called a couple of places but no one wanted to give information on the part. The seal had "John Crane" stamped on it but they do not sell to the public. The cheapest replacement kit I could find was from EDCO which cost about $35 plus crazy shipping and it came with absolutely everything! Even the OVP O-rings.

To assemble, I slightly sanded the innards of the housing to remove scale and started by:
1- Getting everything wet with water for better lubrication
2- Assemble rear bearing, rotor with vanes, liner, front bearing, and pin as a one piece unit.
3- Insert whole unit into housing and work it in using some force (I was surprised how easily this went in! It was amazing).
4- Install O-ring, plate and snap ring (should be nice and tight).
5- Insert mechanical seal and lock ring at the other side of the housing.
6- Place the bearing on the rotor and punch into rotor and pump housing (I used a socket that was about the same diameter as the outer race on the ball bearing). The bearing went in fairly easy.

Step 6 is the most scary one because you could argue that the graphite bearing is taking the load, but the rotor actually protrudes a little bit from the bearing so the "nameplate" should take the impact (make sure you support it). Go easy hitting the ball bearing and you should be fine.

The order of steps can obviously be changed but I just wanted to share my first experience in rebuilding one of these which I am assuming I did OK given the fact that nothing broke. I will post pictures of the process momentarily. The pump turned out cheaper to fix than buying a new one, having the said company rebuild it, or buying a used one online. It also saved on shipping time and most importantly I learned something.

By the way, in case you were wondering the pump works great!

saborcafe: 2_procon_pump_diagram.gif
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
saborcafe

Posted Thu May 1, 2014, 9:35am
Subject: Re: Rebuilding PROCON Pump

It looked much more complicated from the diagram so here are some pictures to better imagin it.

saborcafe: Order of Parts.jpg
(Click for larger image)
saborcafe

Posted Thu May 1, 2014, 9:35am

CoverPlateRemoved

saborcafe: CoverPlateRemoved.JPG
(Click for larger image)
saborcafe

Posted Thu May 1, 2014, 9:36am

Liner and Rear Bearring Exposed

saborcafe: Liner and Rear Bearring Exposed.jpg
(Click for larger image)
saborcafe

Posted Thu May 1, 2014, 9:36am

Ball Bearring Removed

saborcafe: Ball Bearring Removed.jpg
(Click for larger image)
saborcafe

Posted Thu May 1, 2014, 9:37am

Mechanical Seal

saborcafe: Mechanical Seal.jpg
(Click for larger image)
saborcafe

Posted Thu May 1, 2014, 9:37am

New Kit

saborcafe: New Kit.jpg
(Click for larger image)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rebuilding...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.329939842224)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+