Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Your first espresso machine?
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Your first...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Manitobanerd
Manitobanerd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Cafe Roma
Grinder: Hario & blade grinder
Vac Pot: Moka express
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 7:52pm
Subject: Re: Your first espresso machine?

emradguy Said:

Go to sur la table or Williams-Sonoma and taste then espresso product. Those places always give out free samples. If you really like the coffee, then maybe it's worth the convenience to you. For me, the answer is no.

Posted April 9, 2014 link

I guess pod machines aren't very popular to most coffee geeks. Ill have to go see if I can try nespresso before I buy, as I probably will get a better cup from a real espresso machine.
 View Profile Link to this post
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 9:02pm

If you're not too familiar with what good espresso can bring to the table, then you may endup thinking the Nespresso stuff is great.  So many people walk into Sur la Tab or W-S and walk out with a machine because they got sold on (fake) crema.  I recently let a sales-person give me the pitch, and after spending a year learning about espresso on this forum...I can tell you that it's absolute crap.  Their newest technology employs spinning a saucer-like capsule in a centrifuge-like manner after the capsule's barcode gets read by the machine...this is ridiculous.  The closest thing they have to an espresso machine is the Breville double boiler (and that's even a hotly debated machine around here, though I've never used one)...no capable grinder in sight.

You should absolutely go try the samples they love dosing out on their prey.  But after you drink it, head to best coffee shop your local area has to offer and see how it stacks up.  What you can make at home (even on a budget) is more in line with a good coffee shop than Nespresso so long as you are willing to work with the learning curve.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 9:27pm

Manitobanerd Said:

I guess pod machines aren't very popular to most coffee geeks. Ill have to go see if I can try nespresso before I buy, as I probably will get a better cup from a real espresso machine.

Not sure why you would want one. You have a Hario and a Moka pot, add fresh beans and you'll make way better coffee then a Nespresso or any pod/capsule machine.
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 12:22am

Long ago I picked up a Nespresso.  It's certainly not same espresso as one from a traditional espresso machine but it is very much espresso, despite what others say.   I may be a coffee geek, so technically it's espresso.  hot water pushed through fine grinds at a brew pressure of 9 bars. That's what the machine does.   And i'm not ashamed to say for what it does, it does well.  Convenient.  With it i made Caffe Americano drinks, iced drinks, lattes, and straight shots.  Not the best but certainly not bad.  

It's a good choice for someone who doesn't know much and just wants to start cheap and is convenient.

That said, you can move up to much better coffee.. IF you have the money and the time.

Having tasted "the good stuff" I have been cursed ever since.. I now have 3 espresso machines, and some very high end grinders.  But it isn't a requirement for making good coffee. Like someone said, some fresh beans, a moka pot is enough.  Want espresso?  How about MyPressi and a handgrinder-->my first step into really good espresso. It's become a hobby which is great, but like I said.. Just know good coffee is both a blessing and a curse.  Once you go black, you can't go back.  :P  I

Can't for the life of me drink the swill served at work in the punch pouches.  I prepare pour overs in the morning using a cheap $5 plastic Mellita funnel and #2 filters.
Buckley

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 5:28am

Coffeenoobie Said:

Is mypressitwist in business?  I looked for one last month and did not see anyone with one in stock.

That is a good point to bring up.
Stephen, the owner, has relocated the company to Australia because that is where he is from (I am imagining that United States visa issues could easily be behind it - buit that is an assumption on my part).
They are having some supply problems, which is why one frequently sees 'Out of Stock' on their site, but Ivy (support) has told me that they are manufacturing them.  They are eliminating the cafe 'middlemen' and selling them directly.
Buckley
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 6:27am

Buckley Said:

I respect the fact that you are speaking from experience.  Still...when you have $150 to spend, it sure beats everything else.  I drank nothing but Mypressi shots and Americanos for three years at home and it took a conscientious barista with a commercial machine to make a better shot than I could.

Here we go.  Sure, if you buy one box from your local restaurant supply store when they are not on sale they can cost more than you like - and you only get 12.  Two and one-half years ago I bought 300 for $80 on ebay and they are good quality.  I estimate that I still have about a year's supply left.  It has cost me about $2/month or about 5-1/2 cents per shot.

In general, if one lets the Mypressi sit in a drawer because he or she grudgingly does not want to buy cartidges, then it is easy to see cartridges as the problem.  But if one keeps the cartidges stocked in the same way one does not want to run out of good coffee beans at home, then they are just another consumable that we buy plenty of to keep our coffee hobby going.   If good artisanal coffee is costing us (shipped) 65 cents per shot, I do not see the problem.

Buckley

I don't know what store you found selling cartridges that cheap but I'd be wary.. some aren't designed for food use and may contain petroleum based oils... I've definitely killed off entire aquariums due to cheap CO2 cartridges.. and I know this problem exists for NO as well.

If that makes you nervous you can use a whipped cream charger filled with water to test it. Just look at and smell the water after cracking a cartridge into it... if there is nothing noticeable you're probably fine. I have noticed with cheap NO cartridges bad tasting whipped cream, but I always used isi in my mypressi so Im not sure if it would effect coffee too much.

You are right though, the mypressi pulls a really smooth tasting shot. I wonder if there is something about the gas/coffee interface that neutralizes the high/low ends.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Path Coffee Roasters (PortChester, NY) Feather in cap espresso.

Cold Brewing:
Gimme! (ithaca, NY) Moca Java

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 6:31am

Manitobanerd Said:

I have a Hario mini, I thought that was good for espresso? I also am considering nespresso, as it seems so quick/easy/consistent. Anyone on here that own the Nespresso?

I use a hario with my mypressi... But I would not recommend it for everyday use, it would just take way too long, and way too much effort. The low end espresso grinders are pretty durable/reliable machines. If you spend the bulk of your cash on anything, it really should be the grinder.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Path Coffee Roasters (PortChester, NY) Feather in cap espresso.

Cold Brewing:
Gimme! (ithaca, NY) Moca Java

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
coffeestig

Espresso: Quick Mill QM67
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic...
Drip: French Press
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 6:38am

My first machine was a 189$ Breville with an 89$ Breville Grinder using starbucks coffee.  Laugh all you want but this was a gateway drug.

Next was a 600$ Breville machine with ground Illy Coffee - Damn good when compared to what I had before and way better than most coffeeshops.

Next a QM67 which I still feel is the best value for a dual boiler.  With this a  Mazzer Mini E/a dosserless.

After a year I upgraded to VST basket, CCS showerhead and Super Jolly burrs.  I posted aa review but this made aa big difference!

No matter what you get - you'll love it and want more.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 6:58am

Being a barista -- for yourself or for money -- means being "conscientious."  Not weighing every dose to the nearest 0.1g necessarily -- but giving the attention necessary to extract the best shot out of whatever machinery by getting the basics of grind, dose and temp right.  The craft takes time and effort, but it's not a mystery and certainly can be mastered.

Make no mistake good equipment makes getting those basics right much easier than bad.  And, in this world, you may not get what you pay for often enough, but you almost never get what you don't pay for. Good equipment costs.    

Great price.  Great size.  Great starter toy before you can (or are willing) to make the investment in a good machine. Great for trips.  But let's hold on to some perspective. The best sub $200 shot doesn't mean "great espresso."  Nothing against Mypressi Twists; they're good value and the best alternative to a machine on the road (I've had some terrible espresso in hotels) short of a Portapresso...

Alas, the Mypressi can't be consistently temped within plus or minus 2.5F of ideal without a lot more care and trouble (not to mention a PID kettle) than most people are willing to put in. And that minimal degree of temperature accuracy is sine qua non for "good."

Along the same vein, while Harios get a lot of love on CG, they're not "good" in the sense that an OE Lido 2 is good.  "Better than a blade grinder," is not the same as good.

Not sayin', just sayin'.

Rich
Manitobanerd
Manitobanerd

Espresso: Breville Cafe Roma
Grinder: Hario & blade grinder
Vac Pot: Moka express
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 7:01am

acasabia Said:

I use a hario with my mypressi... But I would not recommend it for everyday use, it would just take way too long, and way too much effort. The low end espresso grinders are pretty durable/reliable machines. If you spend the bulk of your cash on anything, it really should be the grinder.

Posted April 10, 2014 link

For my budget, it sounds like not enough for a proper setup.  I may have to save up for a grinder than, and in the mean time just try fresh stuff in the moka pot.

Thanks again everyone for the help!
showing page 3 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Your first...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.471732139587)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+