Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Plumbed in drain slow problem
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Plumbed in drain...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jfeniello

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Apr 5, 2014, 5:46am
Subject: Plumbed in drain slow problem

Hi,
I just plumbed in my Alex Duetto II.  I'm having some issues with the drain.  I plumbed it in with 1/2" tubing.  It runs out the back of the drip tray catch tray, under the machine, to a hole i cut in the countertop.  Then it runs to the right for about 6 feet, at a slight decline, into a drain tube under the sink.

The problem is the black plastic thing under the drip tray fills up and over flows.  Its not clogged anywhere along.  If i lift the front of the machine 2 or 3 inches, it drains perfectly.  Where the hose attaches to the machine, is the highest point of the hose.  It may have a little issue where it bends to go down into the counter top, then under the countertop where it turns right (issue meaning it may go slightly up hill at that point.  I thought of adding a T where it goes into the counter top with a vent hose sticking straight up, but it doesn't seem like a vent issue since it doesn't garble or anything when lifting the front of the machine.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
-jim
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat Apr 5, 2014, 6:43am
Subject: Re: Plumbed in drain slow problem

Three things are more probable than not.  It could be something other than one of these, but that's unlikely.  

1. The problem is internal.  Check to make sure the machine's drain functions properly when the machine is level.  Disconnect the drain line, put the machine up on blocks, set a small dish under the hookup and pour water into the drip tray.  If the water doesn't back up, the problem is with the external drain line installation;    
  2. You have a kink in your line which is straightened out when you lift the machine.  It seems likely that it's at or near the connection point, but anywhere along the line is possible; or most probably
  3. You don't have enough slope.  Since almost any downward slope is enough for the purpose -- if that's the problem -- at some point, your line is not running down hill.  Start by looking for slack in the drain hose which disappears when you lift the machine.  If it's not there, keep looking along the entire length of the line.  Even the shallowest "U" is unacceptable.  

If, after trying the obvious tricks, you still can't isolate the cause of your misery, consider replacing your current tubing with clear -- so you can see where the back up begins.  

Finally, get a bigger hammer.

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sat Apr 5, 2014, 7:00am

Instead of bending the line, install 90 degree barb fittings.
What "drain tube" does it run into? There maybe an air block there.
An air gap might help matters.
I have a plumbed machine, but when I started looking into plumbing the drain correctly and safely, I gave up on teh idea and just use a 3 gallon bottle behind the cart.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sat Apr 5, 2014, 8:41am

Clear tubing is a very good idea - especially if you get the stuff that has a spiral metal reinforcement built into it - It look like a spring enmeshed in the plastic pipe wall, and it stops any kinks forming.  I don't know what the technical term for it is. It came as part of the plumb-out fitting kit included with my machine and has worked flawlessly.  It is only about 50cm long though, and drops directly under the machine into a vertical stand pipe (to provide an air gap), which then flows into permanently installed 38mm standard plastic drainpipe. (I had the advantage of refitting my kitchen at the time I bought the machine, and being able to do things properly for once.)

If it is flexible tubing you are using, my money would be on there not being a consistent or sufficient gradient, especially if it works when you lift the machine a little.  1/2 tube is quite narrow for a drain 6 feet long and it would require only a small problem to stop it working.

I would try to avoid any fittings in the line - there is always a risk of grounds getting caught up in the joins.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sat Apr 5, 2014, 8:58am

There was a discussion on plumbing a few years ago on HB. A fellow said a plumber once told him, "Kid. There's only thee things you need to know about plumbing. Cold on the right, hot on the left, and S$#@ doesn't flow uphill." With your drain setup the first thing to suspect is the drop in the line, and it likely is insufficient for the length of the run. Add even a short run where the tube is rising instead of dropping, and the friction of the water along the length of the line, and it really does not take much to stop the flow. Add a bit of muck buildup in the line, and suddenly your shoes are brown!

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
arcade

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sat Apr 5, 2014, 9:28am

IMHO, use 3/4" tubing. Is it connected to a sink drain? If so, you need to trap the line to prevent gas from coming into your living space. Unless it connects above an existing trap.
gregdreg
gregdreg

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Chemex, Aropress,
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Apr 5, 2014, 9:55am

I was having the exact same problem when I plumbed my machine, make sure there are no sections of your drain hose that angle uphill and make the hose taut as possible. I eneded up using 5/8" clear tubing BTW
lparsons21

Espresso: Izzo Alex
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Ascaso i2,...
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Behmor,...
Posted Sat Apr 5, 2014, 10:11am

gregdreg Said:

I was having the exact same problem when I plumbed my machine, make sure there are no sections of your drain hose that angle uphill and make the hose taut as possible. I eneded up using 5/8" clear tubing BTW

Posted April 5, 2014 link

I had the plastic with wire inside that I got from chriscoffee for about 7 years.  Just replaced it with 5/8" clear with what appears to be nylon criss-crossed in it.  Because of the stiffness of this new line, it was a battle to keep the angles working ever down even slightly.

To the OP, it almost is certainly a combo of that 1/2" ID line and your slope that is causing it to flow to slowly which backs up in the little drain tray.

Lloyd
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Plumbed in drain...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.385195970535)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+