Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Want to replace my super automatic
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Want to replace...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
lparsons21

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Ascaso i2,...
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Behmor,...
Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014, 8:18am
Subject: Re: Want to replace my super automatic

calblacksmith Said:

Just be aware if you are considering it, the BDB is a consumer appliance grade machine not  a prosumer grade machine, if you are OK with that, go right ahead, this is just a heads up for full disclosure.

Posted March 28, 2014 link

In the home, if all you are doing is a double-shot a very few times a day, I don't know that it would matter a whole lot that it wasn't a prosumer grade machine.  Or am I thinking wrong?

I've got an Alex and have felt from day one that it was overkill for the few shots a day I pull.  Of course, the big advantage to it is that fixing it when needed isn't all that difficult and parts are easy to find and install.  I would think from reading here, that repairability could be the big issue with the BDB.

Lloyd
 View Profile Link to this post
mgk2031

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014, 12:42pm

If you really like coffee there are alot nicer machines you could get your hands on to make life alot easier and more enjoyable
BurnsBeans
BurnsBeans
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Premium Plus
Grinder: Macap Doserless
Drip: Hario
Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014, 4:21pm

Had a super auto before. Not worth the time and money. If you learn some basics of espresso you can get more fulfillment from a semi automatic :-)
beegoode

Espresso: Vibiemme Jr. HX & Olympia...
Grinder: Rocky
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sun Mar 30, 2014, 10:59am

I have a Vibiemme Jr HX machine for sale (see the Buy and Sell Forum). Would be a step up in quality to what you are looking for but may be more complicated than what you are looking for. You still need the best espresso and grinder (I have a Rocky which I am considering selling as well). Basically, this is an addicitive hobby (not just the caffeine) and I am looking to trade up.
man114

Espresso: Saeco Classico,...
Drip: Norelco Dial A Brew
Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014, 2:37am

If you can afford keep both a more manual machine and the super auto. I keep a couple more manual machines on hand in addition to my Jura Capresso Impressa S8.

I bought all my machines at thrift stores so to me budget wasn't an issue. Though I recently unloaded my Starbucks Barista (Saeco) and gave a Bosch to my friend.

Each machine will provide a different learning curve, you can search back and see how I figured out how to get decent results out of the super auto.

I usually use the Capresso to brew double shots, in the morning, when convenience is key. You have a trade off of a bit of quality vs. convenience, as I've said in past posts the Impressa heats up faster than the Keurig, can get a shot off before the Keurig is even heated up. Great for quick decent quality in a hurry. Considering I put hundreds of cups on it (had like 194 when I got it if I recall), only issues I have had are cleaning related. It seems to perform fine if you don't mind keeping it clean.

I usually use my manual machines to brew Americanos after dinner. Might be the same beans I dump in the Capresso, but usually get a better creama. On single thermoblock I still get the hot water off the Capresso and the end result is great. Really it is all about time.

The super auto is the ultimate machine for waking up and getting ready for work in a half an hour, turn it on, press a button and you are done, like any pod coffee maker. I suggest if that is what you want look at some of my past advice to pull a decent shot out of these things.

If you want quality more control is available with anything more manual. Plain & simple.

Having had the luxury of paying next to nothing for any of my machines keeping the super auto wasn't an issue, and I am happy to own it, not only for convenience but to help owners figure out how to get decent coffee from one.

If you can keep both do it and realize the benefits of both. If it means buying a more manual model used I would investigate that route.
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Want to replace...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.299888849258)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+