Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Aurelia dosing and programming questions
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Aurelia dosing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
marosmith
marosmith
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar, Silvia V2
Grinder: NS MCF, Baratza Encore
Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 5:42pm
Subject: Aurelia dosing and programming questions

We purchased a used Aurelia 2 group VIP model with the full digital display.

I am in charge of setting it up for our chuch coffee shop m

It is paired with a la pavoni zip grinder. We are using bottomless portafilters with tripple baskets.

I finally got the grind dialed in and noticed it needs to be very fine and the shot must be slow in order to avoid channeling / squirting.

I thought I had set the dosing by programming it in the menu for 2 oz pulls, which in the menu represented 60cc.

Unfortunately when I pull a shot it stops after a few seconds just short of an ounce.

When digitally setting the dosing I did not run a shot with coffee loaded. The manual honestly makes no sense to me.

Also- this is the unit with the readout menu. We bought it used and I was informed that in order to edit the menu that the prior owner had set, I would need to purchase an infrared keyboard from Nuova for $600. Now, clearly that's an insane price for a keyboard. Does anyone know if a generic infrared keyboard can work on this machine, or any other way to revise the menu readout? If we can't we will eventually have to cover up the screen which would be a shame.

Thanks for your help.
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 7:30pm
Subject: Re: Aurelia dosing and programming questions

Keyboard -- don't know.  Borrow an IR board or find a cheap one and give it a shot.  What do you have to lose?  

I gather you don't know very much about the espresso making process yet, and can only tell you that dialing in a new (to you) machine and grinder will be a real adventure.  

Strongly consider hiring a tech to help you set up the machine.  Strongly consider taking barista lessons, as well.  You may get lucky and find someone who can help you with both the machine and training.  At least look.

Water in to the basket, measured by weight or volume does not equal the amount of espresso out.  

A lot of the water you're pumping into the puck, stays there instead of coming out into the drink.  The bigger the basket, the larger the amount of coffee, the more head space, the finer the grind, the more water will stay there.  

Triple baskets are extremely difficult if you don't know what you're doing.  Use smaller, "double" baskets, a lighter dose (which will mean a finer grind), to get a more reasonable output.  Smaller baskets and lighter doses make it easier to build a good puck, too.

Start with a basket which will take a 16 - 18g dose.  VST/Strada/La Marzocco "Special" baskets are very expensive, but very consistent.  

Measure your output by weight instead of volume.  Volume varies with density, which is largely a function of the amount crema.  Consequently, output volume supplies far less useful information in comparison to weight.

Flow rate is extremely important.  You need to learn to identify the blond point, to adjust grind so you can pull a shot which is twice the weight of the dose in 25sec, plus or minus 4sec.  

If you bought the grinder used, the odds are very high that it needs new burrs.

Good luck,
Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 12:49am

It all sounded like sound advice based on the information you gave. You're close enough to Portland there should be a tech around with the keyboard you need so you wouldn't need to buy one. Maybe as it's for a church you might even get lucky and find one to volunteer their services. If you re-read Rich's post with a bit of Christian humbleness/humility you may find some very helpful information there.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 6:38am

Can you post the exact model# your dealing with?  In order to properly program a dose you will need coffee in the portafilter.  No hands on with this particular machine but I bet there's a way to program regular stuff like dosing with just the machine itself.  Something like holding in a button for a few seconds to put the machine into programming mode. The Infrared keyboard sounds like something you would need to actually mess with the text on the screen like changing "short shot"  to "single" or something as a readout.

Check out this PDF on page 50. Looks like page 51, bottom right explains how to set the dose. (Without a keyboard)

Hope this helps.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 6:47am

Sorry, not at all to defend Rich, who can stand up for himself, but your initial post really sounds like your skills and knowledge base are not quite up to the task.  I think he was just trying to be helpful (as am I with this post).  Here's why...

marosmith Said:

It is paired with a la pavoni zip grinder. We are using bottomless portafilters with tripple baskets.

Posted March 26, 2014 link

Basket size is determined by desired dose, which should be based on the beans you are using and the flavor profile you desire from them - after a rather lengthy experimental process of dialing it in. I suggest reading the Espresso 101 post by Jim Schulman on home-barista.com as it delineates how to adjust a grinder and then how to adjust a shot based on taste, using both dose and grind modifications.

marosmith Said:

I finally got the grind dialed in and noticed it needs to be very fine and the shot must be slow in order to avoid channeling / squirting.

Channeling is a distribution problem, unless you're way off on dose or grind...like trying to put 14g in a 20g basket or using a french press coarse grind in an espresso basket.  so if you're in range on dose and grind for the basket, then flow rate and shot timing have nothing to do with channeling.

marosmith Said:

Unfortunately when I pull a shot it stops after a few seconds just short of an ounce.

...and how long does that take? Either you're not extracting long enough or your grind is too fine. Possibly you've also even overdosed the basket.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the programming. I have no experience with your machine, or any other volumetric for that matter. However, as I've tried to illustrate above (and as Rich tried to tell you), your problems are more than just setting the machine up to run properly.  

Regarding your first reply to Rich, if you don't remove it, you're going to get a strike from the mods. This board has pretty strict rules against personal attacks.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 8:53am

Matt,

Reprogramming the machine to dose something other than 60ml and/or to allow a longer clock for the dose (yes it has an automatic-shutoff timer) is almost certainly unnecessary, and nothing more than wheel spinning.

If the machine pumps at 9bar, and delivers 60ml of brew water through an empty pf; and you can't pull a 35g shot of about 2oz volume, from an 18g dose, in 20 - 27 seconds following the pre-infusion period, your problem quite probably lies in the arenas of grind, dose and puck building.    

Your threshold problem isn't a slow flow-rate.  Rather, it's the channeling which caused you to overdose, and grind too fine in an attempt to fix it.  To put it bluntly, things were bad and you made them worse.  But, to be charitable (and honest as well) that's something WE ALL do.
If the Aurelia's "soft" pre-infusion system is operating properly, and your grinder is appropriately dialed in and otherwise functioning properly, the machine can deliver a fairly good looking shot with nothing more than a finger wipe to level the grounds -- not even tamping.  In fact, that's been a part of Nuova Simonelli's demo of SIS ("soft infusion system) in trade shows for years.  

Assuming pre-infusion is working, that leaves the grinder and puck building skills.  If the burrs are old and have some bad spots, or are out of alignment the grinder could be delivering widely uneven particle sizes.  The easiest fix is to drop in, new, replacement burrs and recalibrate the grinder.  New burrs are inexpensive and easy to replace; and used, flat burr grinders almost always need them.  If there are mechanical alignment problems (for instance something's bent) you'll almost always spot them during the replacement and calibration process.  

If pre-infusion and the grinder are both good, that leaves puck building skills.  Triple baskets are very difficult for even skilled baristas.  If you're planning on other congregants handling barista duties, do them the favor of making it as easy as possible on them by dumping the triples and replacing them with 18g LM "Special" (aka Strada) or VST (ridged) baskets.  

Once you've checked to make sure that all the machinery is functioning properly, have swapped the triple baskets for doubles, and are dosing an appropriate weight for the the basket, if you're still having problems with channeling and/or flow rate, it comes down to bad puck building skills.  

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
marosmith
marosmith

Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 12:09pm

LOL. I know you guys will attack this advice- but if you took a step back and read what you wrote from the standpoint of an observer, you may be a little shocked at your tone.

I realize by discussing the process of getting a grind and machine set up I confused you. I know what a good shot is and how to pull it.

You guys really need to try (I know it's hard for you) to answe the question that's being asked instead of ranting about how stupid the poster is.

I asked about the keyboard, you guys don't know. I asked two local servicers, they don't either. So in other words you guys don't have the answer. Thanks ?

Then I asked about how to program the dosing because the manual doesn't make sense. I am pulling good shots manually, but the other folks running the machine simply won't be able to manually stop the shot, so I have to figure out the menus.

If any of you want to answer one of those questions, that would be awesome!! I'm guessing you won't, and continue with the self-indulgent responses about what an idiot I am.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 12:38pm

Whatever, Dude.  You clearly asked some things that made people wonder if you know how to prepare a basket or not and in fact, even made comments leading us to believe you didn't.  If you do, great.  As I said, I only was trying to help you.  If you take that as me thinking you're an idiot, well...not much I can do about that.  I mean, really?  I even tried to say that wasn't what I was doing...but take it how you will.  I'm sure if we were in person, you'ld appreciate the friendliness of my tone.  Sadly, facial expressions and vocal tone, as wel as body posture don't carry through on forum posts. Enjoy your gear, and good luck with it!

If I really thought you were an idiot and didn't want to help you, I wouldn't have suggested you remove your personal attack you made in your second post.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 1:41pm

Did you try this Nuova Simonelli dealer

http://espressomachineexperts.com/

or this one

http://www.amiciservice.com/

and by the way, it's not about being "stupid". I'm a man of above average intelligence, been at this for 5 years, make and roast some dang good coffee (based on what the people who hound me for cappuccinos say whenever they're over!), and I'm still learning little things that help me out all the time. The day you think you know everything is the day you stop learning.
marosmith
marosmith

Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 4:26pm

I'm not an expert but I know how to pull shots. Clearly giving you guys any extra information (my bad) about the process of dialing the grinder in was a mistake and got you guys excited (which for you guys that means critical rant).

But I wanted to ask specific questions after doing due dillegence elsewhere to find my information. Hopefully an Aurelia expert will actually try to answer the questions. One can hope, right?
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Aurelia dosing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.429111003876)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+