Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New (for me) Oscar On The Way!
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New (for me)...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
SyracuseCoffee

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Compak K3
Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014, 10:05am
Subject: New (for me) Oscar On The Way!

Hi All,

New to the forum....but not new to espresso.  Here's some of the "back story" to my Oscar purchase. My wife and I are heavy espresso drinkers and it's almost the only coffee I drink any more.  It all started many years ago when I married my wife who's family is from Italy and relatively new to the U.S.

Anyway, I got tired of drinking espresso from my cheapy machine, which (to it's credit) has refused to die even after more than 3 years and well over 3,500 double espressos.  I have refused to descale it....assuming it would hasten it's demise.  But alas, we have soft water.  The grouphead gasket is finally leaking a little.

I am relatively thrifty especially since I have 2 teenage daughters who need cars and will soon be in college so budget was set to around $1.000.  To my wife, this is an insane amount to spend any coffee machine.

I started looking at SBDU machines like the Gaggia Classic and Rancilio Silivia.  I decided that I'd like to move up to the next "level" which was going to be tough on my budget.  I considered the Breville DB for it's mix of features and value.  However,  I decided not to go that direction since this machine does not have a long history.

I finally settled on the NS Oscar. It's relatively compact allowing my wife several locations from which to chose it's location.  I was not enthralled with the rear-located tank with small fill port.  That really made positioning the Oscar under cabinets undesirable...but do-able.  Although I love stainless steel, I became comfortable with the plastic housing to the point that it's not a negative....although not necessarily a positive either.  Combine that with a relative abundance of parts and service information, and it's a winner for the miserly espresso lover.

I bought a used direct-connect Oscar on Ebay for only $499....including shipping.  My water tank issue is now a non-issue.  I have not yet received it but the photos show an espresso machine that appears to be very lightly used.  Notice the relatively clean group head and the lack of staining on the drip tray grill.  Anyone who has looked as used Oscars knows that the tray gets stained with use but this one appears practically unstained.  The case and portafilters are immaculate.  And it's being shipped in it's original box.  My thinking is that even if this machine needs some repair, I can easily but a few hundred into it and still have a pretty good deal so there didn't seem to be much risk.   More on that when it arrives later this week...hopefully.

I have big plans for my new machine once I verify that it brews coffee.   After plumbing the water, I'll plumb the drip tray as well.  I plan on adding a vacuum breaker and I'll see what kind of Pstat it has.   I'll probably add an OPV since I can plumb it directly to the drain or to the drip tray.  Then I'd like to make some plumbing modifications to make descaling and flushing the boiler easier especially since I have room in the back of the machine where the water tank would be for pour-over versions.

Everything as time and money allows but it should be a fun project.  I also purchased a nice Compak K-3 touch grinder for a reasonable price.  My combined total including shipping is $874.  Under my $1,000 budget.  The $125 gap basically covers my plumbing parts so I'm pretty happy so far.

There's lots of info on internal modifications so maybe I'll post some pics of my plumbing since there doesn't seem to be a lot about direct-connect Oscars.  My wife will likely choose a counter location that is far from the sink which should make it interesting.  You can bet I'll be posting questions for veterans on this forum.

SyracuseCoffee: Front Bottom_480.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
SyracuseCoffee

Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014, 10:06am
Subject: Re: Grouphead photo

I couldn't figure out how to put multiple photos in the same post.  Here's a photo of the grouphead. Not bad for a used machine.

SyracuseCoffee: Grouphead_480.jpg
(Click for larger image)
SyracuseCoffee

Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014, 10:10am
Subject: Re: One more photo

Here's a  photo of the top.  It looks practically unused for a used machine.  Anyway, I'll report how (or if) it works when it comes in.

SyracuseCoffee: Front Top_480.jpg
(Click for larger image)
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014, 4:14pm
Subject: Re: New (for me) Oscar On The Way!

Congratulations on the Oscar.  They are really nice machines on the low end of the pro/prosumer models.  Ample steamer too!  My Oscar, an older grey one, has been around the block a bit and still works great.  They aren't pretty, but that gives us a cheap way to get into good espresso machines.

One thing missing on the Oscar is the hot water tap.  Some people run tea hot water out of the group, but I find that has coffee scent in it unless it's freshly cleaned.  I opt for putting water into a milk pitcher, steaming with the wand until I actually reach a boil and then it's ready for black teas, or heat it to specific temps for green teas (160-175f).  Last weekend was a green tea weekend, and the Oscar was on all day just to provide perfect temps for staged green tea brews.

(I just pulled my La Pavoni Pro off of the shelf after a few months and made a cappuccino.  Man the steam on that is SLOW and underpowered in comparison to my Oscar!  Still does the job beautifully, but it takes a while...)
SyracuseCoffee

Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 8:11pm

Thanks and I'm looking forward to putting my Oscar into use.  The Oscar seemed to fit my value-orientated niche and still keep my marriage in tact.  I'm OK with it's  looks as long as it has a nice "personality."
SyracuseCoffee

Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 8:29pm

I haven't been on much this week due to work and another damn snowstorm.  Who needs 18" of snow and single digit temperatures in the middle of March.  It's absolutely ridiculous....not to mention that it delayed delivery of my Oscar by two days.

Anyway....it's finally here!

It's in mint condition on the outside, just like the earlier photos show.  I removed the top and noticed a mint condition interior (see photos) along with a Sirai pressurestat.  Since I don't have a water reservoir, there's a lot of room in the back.  I can probably use that for something useful.  Maybe remove the boiler drain plug and plumb it so that I can actually use the drain for easier descaling/maintenance without having to disassemble the machine.

Now all I have to due is get it hooked to the water line for a leak check and see if it can make steam and coffee.  That's the one downside of a plumbed unit. I have to figure out if the JG fitting is 6 mm or 1/4 inch. I'm guessing 6 mm.

SyracuseCoffee: Boiler_640.jpg
(Click for larger image)
SyracuseCoffee

Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 8:35pm

Another photo of the group head and wiring.  More of the same.  The previous owner could not have used this machine more than a few times.  I'm amazed that someone would spend money for a machine like this and not use it.  I know the Oscar isn't as pricey as most of the prosumer machines...but still.....

SyracuseCoffee: Grouphead_640.jpg
(Click for larger image)
SyracuseCoffee

Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 8:43pm

Does anyone know what the silver thing is in the photo below?  I found it in the bottom of the box in the packing material.  It's threaded on one end but not the other.  In addition to the hole through the side (which you can see) there is a small orifice inside the tube between the ends which is maybe a millimeter or so in diameter.

I assume it goes with the Oscar but it may not. I found directions for a blender folded into the box that contained my portafilters so it might have fallen into the box by accident.

SyracuseCoffee: SilverThingy.jpg
(Click for larger image)
hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: KitchenAid ProLine
Drip: Keurig Vue, B70,Tassimo T65,...
Roaster: Wear Ever Popcorn Pumper...
Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 10:50pm

That looks like a steam tip for a Cimbali Junior espresso machine.  Maybe it fits the Oscar steam wand too?  Here's a pic of the steam wand tip from coffeesnobs.au showing the same tip as the one in your pic.  The person who posted it said that the steam tip, on the left, is the one that came with his Junior.

hotwasabipeas: cimbali_steam_tips.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Please visit my website!

www.planetwasabi.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bossman

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivladi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Soon I hope
Posted Fri Mar 14, 2014, 6:03am

Nice find, looks in good shape.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New (for me)...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.381765127182)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+