Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Espresso Dose, Very Low Flow
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jamichau

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Mar 5, 2014, 7:26pm
Subject: Gaggia Espresso Dose, Very Low Flow

We bought our refurbished machine through WholeLatteLove, two-and-a-half years ago. We have used only distilled water the entire time and it's always worked well until the last month, or so.  Shots pull very slowly. It takes two or three minutes to get two shots, the coffee flows at a trickle.  I'm looking for suggestions on where to begin troubleshooting and a progression of things to check, if the first, second, etc., doesn't fix the problem. Thanks very much, in advance,

-John
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Mar 5, 2014, 9:57pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Espresso Dose, Very Low Flow

John, you might start here

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/656355

Also, please look at the machines here

http://www.partsguru.com/DosePureColorVivaEvolution.html

and then look at the internals of the Dose.  Aluminum or stainless boiler, match your boiler to the closest diagram.  No Dose diagram is shown, but it must be very close to one of the others.  

Post back with information and we can try to help:)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
kolu
kolu
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Grimac La Uno
Grinder: Mahlkönig Guatemala, Porlex
Drip: Kalita Wave, Aeropress
Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 3:17pm

Internals of Dose are the same as Color & Pure except for the added MCU board, flowmeter in front of the pump & lots of messy wires.

Most likely you can find 3 sources of failure independent to the quality of your water:

1. chceck the water reservoir. is the water inside getting warm? like really warm? like hot water returns from the boiler to the reservoir (via self-priming valve)?
    = faulty self-priming valve. clean it, replace it or (the best one) disable/seal it. google gaggia color self-priming valve fix. it's common fault.

2. cool reservoir but no flow from the screen?
    = something in the one way valve at the output from boiler. take out the screen and the valve under it, clean it, reassemble.

3. weird pump sounds?
    = dying pump. refer to D4F's instructions.
jamichau

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 9:28pm

Well, this is a little embarrassing, but it appears to have been a clogged shower disc. Having never taken it apart before, I wasn't aware this part would clog, but it now makes sense. I took a brush to it under running water, replaced it, and tested.  Water flow seems normal. I apologize for taking your time and I appreciate your replies. Thanks,

-John
Dave_E

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Cellini
Grinder: Compak k3
Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014, 8:43am

Also can be an issue with too fine of a grind.  When I was dialing in my first Gaggia, I found the pump had some serious problems with an actual espresso grind.  It would sound like it was in the throws of a heart attack. Coarsen up your grind and it will flow better.  Mind you the extraction is a little quick with them too, so it takes some playing (like all machines).  None oily beans work best too.
SJM

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014, 9:06am

Dave_E Said:

Also can be an issue with too fine of a grind.  When I was dialing in my first Gaggia, I found the pump had some serious problems with an actual espresso grind.  It would sound like it was in the throws of a heart attack. Coarsen up your grind and it will flow better.  Mind you the extraction is a little quick with them too, so it takes some playing (like all machines).  None oily beans work best too.

Posted March 25, 2014 link

This suggestion makes no sense in the context of the OP's issues, which were already sorted by cleaning.  To coarsen the grind would have only given him swill, and, for the record, there is no such thing as "an actual espresso grind".
Dave_E

Espresso: Rocket Cellini
Grinder: Compak k3
Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014, 10:22am

What I meant by "actual espresso grind" is a well graded, fine grind.  The Gaggia superautos cannot handle a fine grind and when I used a real grinder to dose the machine, it couldn't handle it.  The reality is that a superauto cannot really produce a strong (I should be specific - by strong I mean great tasting and consistent) espresso.  Agreed - coarsening it up will be swill and will amount to a blonde gusher - if you go too far with it; but when the grind size is inspected when you get a decent flow rate, colour (and most importantly taste), the grind is much coarser than machines that are more "proper" read: separate machines with good pressure and temp control during extraction.

Definitely cleaning the brew unit weekly (if not more frequently) is very important.  Be sure to just use water, soap will remove the oil that is used in the brew unit to keep the parts moving.  

Sorry for the bad terminology - I prepare an espresso for myself that I feel is better than any I have gotten in town and though I am not attuned to the fine world of your dialect, I felt that offering advice on my experience is appropriate.   If you don't, then fine - skip over it.
dingo1799

Espresso: Couple of broken pavoni...
Grinder: Vario W
Vac Pot: Cory DRU/DRL
Drip: Nah
Roaster: Nah
Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014, 10:33am

jamichau Said:

Well, this is a little embarrassing, but it appears to have been a clogged shower disc. Having never taken it apart before, I wasn't aware this part would clog, but it now makes sense. I took a brush to it under running water, replaced it, and tested.  Water flow seems normal. I apologize for taking your time and I appreciate your replies. Thanks,

-John

Posted March 21, 2014 link

For coffee and espresso machines and grinders alike, cleanliness is next to godliness. Someone experienced can taste the difference between a dirty and clean machine. Equipment requires maintenance and upkeep, which means cleaning, descaling etc etc.

You should also look into using a spring water, or something beside distiller water. Distilled and RO is good for the machine, bad for the taste buds.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.356236934662)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+