Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Tiny orangish-red sediment in brand new CC1...
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Tiny...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Feb 28, 2014, 11:02am
Subject: Re: Tiny orangish-red sediment in brand new CC1...

Buy a yogurt like Tillamook in a cup. Cut the bottom off the cup after you eat yogurt. You now have a funnel that fits your portafilter. And get at least five pounds of coffee when you start because you run out about the time you get it dialed in otherwise.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bossman

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivladi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Soon I hope
Posted Sun Mar 2, 2014, 8:02am

Well whatever that sediment is was back with last night and this morning.  So frustrating, I just want to have my morning macchiato.  I had not checked for the sediment for a couple of days so I wonder how much of the stuff I ingested, sigh.

I talked with Gail @SCG and she is sending a picture of it to Bill Crossland.  I hope they can figure it out soon.

The good news is I got my naked PF yesterday and OE dosing funnel and my shots have been looking very good!
 View Profile Link to this post
Branched

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 6:45am

Have you had any luck with figuring it out? My cc1 arrived yesterday and I was getting lots of the same sediment, I've been flushing and flushing and emailed Crossland to see what's up. I must have flushed ten tanks thru and removed the shower screen to make sure there in no particulate stuck in the holes. Even still there is a very small amount of particulate in the bottom of the water ran from the brew head. Personally I believe the particulate is some sort of Teflon coating that has broken down in the internals somewhere. I'm very seriously considering sending my machine back and upgrading.
bossman

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivladi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Soon I hope
Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 7:56am

Keep flushing, a ton more.  I flushed about 30 tanks through before I started seeing relief.  I still see it after it sits idle for a while but much less now.  I am concerned too but reluctant to send it back and be without.  Gail said she emailed Bill and he said it could be from the heating element heating up w/o water in the boiler and oxidizing and that it should go away.  I was going to keep trying this weekend and if it is still happening send it back.  

I am glad to hear its not just me, maybe there was a defect with a batch of them?  I am a little worried now too that another person has the same issue.  I don't want to be ingesting something that I don't know for sure what it is.  Does yours look like mine in the light?
billc

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: CC1 - GS - GS3 - GB5
Grinder: Baratza - Mazzer-Marzocco
Drip: My own Creation
Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014, 7:20am

Just wanted to address the comment about coatings.  There is no coating on any part that comes into contact with the water.  There are a couple of Teflon tubes but they do not contain anything that can cause particulate.  

We had one user explain to us that they turned on the machine and did not fill the boiler.  Copy from other similar Post:

Yes, the cause of this is heating the machine without first filling the boiler.  The CC1 does have dual over temp protection.  The first is the temperature sensor, when the boiler reaches temperatures over 220 degrees F it shuts down the machine.  If there is a catastrophic failure somewhere, there is a thermal fuse that goes and also cuts off power to the boiler.

If there is no water in the boiler, the heating element is exposed to the air.  The actual element reaches temperatures way beyond the 220 degrees F before the software shuts it down.  During this time the air oxidizes on the heating element.  When it cools down the oxidation is allowed to flake off.  

Please note that this only happens when the boiler is not filled prior to use.  If the element is immersed in water it will never reach such temperatures.

There is one on the way back to Seattle Coffee Gear and I will be taking it apart to identify the cause exactly.  The water path on the CC1 does not contain anything that could lake off or cause particulate that would "fall" into the water.  My first thought was that it was something in the water.  Of course since the users have run so much water through, and indicated that they used bottled water I ruled this out.  

The 2 cased that I have heard of come from machine that were not manufactured very close to each other so there is no issue with production cycle that I can see.

I guess we will find out when I take the machine apart.

Bill
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014, 8:05am

Bill,

Thanks for responding in such detail.  If you remember, please let us know what the problem was once you've diagnosed it.  Inquiring wooden block mind and all that.  If the primary cause of the sediment turns out to be dry-heating, check with the retailer(s) to see if they test machines before shipping.    

Whatever happened to the double boiler prototype you were showing a few years ago?  Any chance that will ever see production?    

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Tiny...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.342948198318)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+