Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Tiny orangish-red sediment in brand new CC1...
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Tiny...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
bossman

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivladi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Soon I hope
Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014, 6:13am
Subject: Re: Tiny orangish-red sediment in brand new CC1...

22g weight of the shot.  The scale is not real accurate, I have a better one coming today.  I am on the finest Macro setting on the Vario (1) and about middle of the road on the micro side.  I might need to adjust the grinder a bit, but following the video on the Baratza site it seemed calibrated well.  Even with 22g dose there was no impression of the shower screen on the puck.  I might be tamping too hard, I have a bathroom scale coming as well to try to learn what 30lbs feels like.  I am a big guy and have a feeling I am way above that.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014, 6:26am

206 is a high temp too, did you try lower, that could bring out more burnt notes. I keep mine at 201 sometimes a little lower depending on bean/blend. P9 is set to -11. I think the way these machines came set is why some people had odd challenges in temps especially if they lived up north or higher altitude as they came set for X. Same way the Brazen Brewer works in the sense of programing so at any given altitude/weather it will be as consistent temp wise as sea level like where I am. I've played around with P9 and didn't make a big difference to me, maybe b/c I'm at sea level? But others saw it help a lot more.

I would try to re-calibrate it again, Macro 1 seems kinda low especially for high doses, I think avg user is in the Macro 2 range as I know a friends is and stays there and just plays with micro if switching beans/dose.
bossman

Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014, 6:49am

I moved the temp up due to several posts I have seen that said the temp was lower at the group then the boiler.  I have not messed with any of the settings in the PID as I have no idea what they do.  I have not noticed any burned taste so far it's mostly sour.  I live in the midwest, Omaha area, about 1000 feet above sea level I believe.  I will try to tighten the grinder a bit when I get home from work tonight.
CMIN

Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014, 8:10am

bossman Said:

I moved the temp up due to several posts I have seen that said the temp was lower at the group then the boiler.  I have not messed with any of the settings in the PID as I have no idea what they do.  I have not noticed any burned taste so far it's mostly sour.  I live in the midwest, Omaha area, about 1000 feet above sea level I believe.  I will try to tighten the grinder a bit when I get home from work tonight.

Posted February 26, 2014 link

P9 is offset, I think they came at 0, which seems to be fine for sea level and our nice weather. I have mine set to -11 and didn't really notice a difference from 0, however others up north and at higher altitudes did when they adjusted it to be negative (like dean on here did) and saw a noticeable temp difference. Altitude can affect temps, some people have used for example their Technovorm etc at high altitudes and coffee wasn't as good or temps were off, but were fine at lower altitudes, the Brazen Drip brewer has program settings that account for altitude so temp is stable across the field. Just as an example.

Were you leaving it have ample warm up time with the PF lightly locked in? Any good espresso machine needs at least 30-40 min and then I always pull like a blank 1oz shot before grinding and dosing to make sure the pathways is temp stable.
bossman

Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014, 5:15pm

Ok I tightened the grind settings on the Vario and now I am on 2 macro and the lower part of the micro side.  My last shot of the fair mountain was 16g dose and I got 31g by weight liquid for the finished shot in 27 seconds.  I had the boiler set at 205 and it was slightly bitter but it made a great macchiato!  I have still yet to see a syrupy shot, but at least I am getting very close on the taste.  I am on to Redline and I have 5 pounds of it so I would hope I really get it dialed in before its gone lol.

Yes, my machine is on a timer and is on 1-2 hours before I use it.  Still trying to figure out the exact times since its a mechanical timer.
bossman

Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014, 6:07pm

BAH! Now I am frustrated! went through my first 8 ounce bag of redline and went no where but backwards.  I started where I had left off with the Fair Mountain, 2 Macro middle of the scale micro.  Gusher, gusher, and the last shot was an even worse gusher even though I was making the grind finer.  I was back to the finest macro setting and middle of the micro with no progress.  I did another calibration and tightened the grinder again, but that was frustrating.  I was staying at a constant 16g dose and only changing the grind.  I am sure my tamp is not the best but I don't think that is it.

Oh well I will try again tomorrow night.
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 1:47am

bossman Said:

BAH! Now I am frustrated! went through my first 8 ounce bag of redline and went no where but backwards.  I started where I had left off with the Fair Mountain, 2 Macro middle of the scale micro.  Gusher, gusher, and the last shot was an even worse gusher even though I was making the grind finer.  I was back to the finest macro setting and middle of the micro with no progress.  I did another calibration and tightened the grinder again, but that was frustrating.  I was staying at a constant 16g dose and only changing the grind.  I am sure my tamp is not the best but I don't think that is it.

Oh well I will try again tomorrow night.

Posted February 26, 2014 link

i think this is a case for some thorough WDT..
bossman

Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 4:50am

Yeah I have an OE dosing funnel on the way, that will make it easier to WDT.  I am a little disappointed in how much the Vario-W clumps.
CMIN

Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 6:00am

bossman Said:

Yeah I have an OE dosing funnel on the way, that will make it easier to WDT.  I am a little disappointed in how much the Vario-W clumps.

Posted February 27, 2014 link

Vario and W are pretty clump free, clumping has a lot to do with location and weather/humidity as well, people up North suffer worse, some even have to wdt the HG-One which is a killer single dose grinder with titan burrs. If you think the Vario is bad clumping, be glad you didn't spend a lot more money on the grinders in the $500-$800 range that can clump even more lol. I wdt as well with a yogurt cup, I just cut it to fit the basket.

Different beans/blends will require different settings, good idea to keep note of what setting was used for X bean/blend, so that way in the future you'll know where to be is you swtich to that again.
bossman

Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 4:31pm

I tried a couple more times tonight and got some shots good enough for macchiatos and a latte.  I think I will wait for my OE funnel so I can WDT to do anymore serious tries.  My shots tonight were just a bit sour but were fine in a bit of milk.  I like the steam function of the CC1, made nice wet paint milk!
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Tiny...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.403923034668)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+