Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Francis Francis X5 Portafilter Replacement Questions
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Francis Francis...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
buckypony
buckypony
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Salvatore Semi Auto
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: I wish
Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 11:43am
Subject: Francis Francis X5 Portafilter Replacement Questions

I recently purchased a Francis Francis X5 machine (black) at Goodwill for $24.99.   I always check Goodwill for Espresso machines, only ever see Mr. Coffee ones, so I was shocked when I saw this sitting on the shelf.  Brought it home and ran Dezcal through it (steam wand was plugged).  It works PEFECTLY. It wasn't even a gamble - our Goodwill returns for in store credit within 30 days so I figured I had nothing to lose.

I'm done bragging - now to my question. :)

The machine only has one portafilter with it (pod style).  I'd like to get a regular portafilter that holds ground coffee for it but don't care if it is a Francis Francis one.  Is there a generic portafilter that would fit this machine?

buckypony: francisport3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
buckypony
buckypony

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 11:44am
Subject: Re: Francis Francis X5 Portafilter Replacement Questions

Other photos - wasn't sure how to post more than one photo in my original post.

buckypony: francis99.jpg
(Click for larger image)
buckypony
buckypony

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 11:46am

Last one.

buckypony: francis98.jpg
(Click for larger image)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Feb 25, 2014, 7:00am

Congrats, for that price you did OK. FF machines have a very small boiler so keeping them temp stable through the shot can be an issue. The only place I know of parts for them is from FF. They are pretty tight fisted on internal replacement parts and want you to go through the repair network, having them do the work. A coffee basket should be a replaceable part though.

There is only one pic per post so you did nothing wrong :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
buckypony
buckypony

Posted Tue Feb 25, 2014, 7:35am

No kidding on the boiler, the light for temp goes on and off during the shot.  But it does make a decent shot - I was quite surprised.  

I started out with a low end espresso machine (DeLonghi) which is what I compare it to.  It's a step up from that - solid frame, heats up quickly (brass boiler) probably because of size of boiler more than what it is made of, and the pump seems to work effortlessly, pretty to look at, stupid clock on the front - looks like a pressure gauge if you squint though LOL!  But for a house with 2 espresso drinkers and lots of hot tea drinkers - it's not practical.  I bought it for someone here to take to work or to their dorm room (no mess!) or perhaps it would make a good travel machine.  Pods are a little spendy for it to be practical for a college dorm.  I may even sell it after I've had my fun, I don't think I'll lose money on the deal.

However, I wasn't sure what you meant when you said a coffee basket "should be a replaceable part" - wasn't sure if you were saying I could get one but only from FF or it should be replaceable with generic part, or perhaps you were being sarcastic?  "It SHOULD be replaceable but you are dealing with FF so....."

Do anyone know if a generic portafilter in the same size would fit in this machine or did they create it so that only FF portafilters will work?
Anyone ever tried this?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014, 8:25am

No, there was no sarcasm, you should be able to get the part. The coffee basket is the part that fits inside the portafilter, it holds the ground coffee, the portafilter holds the coffee basket and locks into the group head.

It takes longer than for the light to go out for the machine to warm up. You need to have the WHOLE machine to temp, not just the water, that takes a bit of time, minimum of 15 minutes but longer is better. Most machines take half an hour to reach temp stability.

Portafilters and coffee baskets are measured in MM. Industry standard is 58mm, the FF is smaller but it was a very long time ago when I owned your machine, it was also my first step up from a Krups pump machine and for what it is, it did OK but FF tends to be more fashion over function but with a bit of care it can pull an OK shot when fed properly ground, fresh coffee. For the price you did very well but as I am sure you know, much better machines are to be had.

Perhaps someone will know what size the PF / basket is. Most of the time generic parts of the same size can interchange such as 58mm baskets etc but there are exceptions so exact information on your machine needs to be discovered.

The clock is a bit of a fake out. It would not have been hard to have made it a gauge but a cheep clock did not cost as much but the LOOK is there, fashion over function :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Francis Francis...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.32143497467)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+