Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Best commercial single group machine
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best commercial...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 11:24am
Subject: Re: Best commercial single group machine

uscfroadie Said:

The only 1-group commercial machine to add to that is the Cimbali Junior.

Posted February 27, 2014 link

Ooooh, brain fart!  Good catch -- I forgot about the Cimbali Junior.  Good catch.  Thanks!

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 12:00pm

The Vivaldi II is  certified for commercial use.  

It's probably the best commercial machine on a budget...
RickSFO

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 1:28pm

The problem with heat exchangers is temperature control of the group.  Dual boilers are more stable.

Out of curiosity, if you have an HX machine, have you checked it with a Scace?  That would be interesting.  I'm sure some are better than others.  Perhaps HX with PID is the best compromise.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 2:42pm

Rick, you clearly know SOME things about espresso machines, but . . . .

-- More HX machines are in commercial service around the world, including Italy, than DB's.

-- HX machines are very stable as long as they are in use -- meaning in a busy commercial (café-type) environment, they are quite stable indeed.  In the type of non-café restaurant, be it a deli or fine dining establishment where the machine is only used occasionally, yes, you need to do a cooling flush.  But temperature surfing (not a very good name for it, but it's the best one we have) is much easier to explain than to do.  Train your bartender / waitstaff / barista to do it right, and it's like riding a bicycle.

-- I've not used a Scace on my Elektra T1 at home; I've used one on a friend's machine, and getting repeatable temperatures time after time is easy to do.  That said, pulling multiple shots at home, the temperature does indeed remain very stable shot after shot.

-- DB's require a warming flush; HX's require a cooling flush.  Like I said, different ways of skinning the same cat.

-- PIDs on an HX are useless.

RickSFO

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 3:12pm

Yes, in my restaurant I would have to train the staff to do a cooling flush and temperature surf.  This is easier said than done...  Trying to avoid that level of training.  

PID may be tricky to implement on an HX but I can think of ways to do it.  The machine may not end up being cheaper than a DB though...
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 4:18pm

You miss the point:  a) it's easier to DO than to explain; and -- repeat after me -- a PID is useless on an HX.

boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 4:38pm

Sub $3K, prosumer DBs aren't built to hold up to commercial volume.  I'm not sure where the cut-off is, but it's probably somewhere around 20 shots per day.  That's why they're prosumer, not commercial.  If you're sure your volume won't exceed a prosumer's, you'd be foolish to buy more.

The least expensive, true-commercial, DB is the La Marzocco GS/3.  The LM Linea is a tad more expensive, not quite as versatile or styled, but heavier built.  Either way, you're looking at close to $6K.  I don't know either machine that well, but based on what I've heard from people I trust, I'm guessing the LM would be a better choice for your situation.  

A DB is not a super-auto, and is no guarantee of an acceptable shot.  If you can't teach and trust an employee to temp a good HX, you can't teach and trust her to grind, dose and tamp either; and if that's the case, the problem is with the teacher/supervisor, not the employee.  

There are three stand-out, single group, "volumetric," HX machines priced below $4K.  The least expensive is the La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior Casa at $3K.  The Elektra T1 and Nuova Simonelli Appia Volumetric are a bit more.  All can keep up with fairly high volume, and all are much better built than any prosumer.  If you think even the best prosumer class DB can keep up with one of these beauties for production or durability, you're sadly mistaken.  

I have a Cimbali M21 Junior "Casa," it's an extremely stable and forgiving machine.  I'm not sure that I'd go quite as far as Merle in terms of it being able to keep up with a really fast barista satisfying a heavy load -- but if he's wrong, it's not by much.  I can't beat it, but I'm not that fast either.    

GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER

The word "Mazzer" covers a lot of territory.  FWIW, all of the HXs named, and both of the LMs are far more machine than a Mazzer SJ is grinder.  If you're serious about getting the most out of whatever beans or blends you plan to use, you need a better grinder than the SJ.      

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
uscfroadie
uscfroadie

Espresso: GS/3 Strada MP, BDB; owned...
Grinder: Forte, Zass and PeDe hand...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Nope
Roaster: owned Behmor
Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 5:20pm

boar_d_laze Said:

I'm not sure that I'd go quite as far as Merle in terms of it being able to keep up with a really fast barista satisfying a heavy load -- but if he's wrong, it's not by much.  I can't beat it, but I'm not that fast either.

Rich,

True, but my point was that if you have to work that fast, you might as well (or perhaps should) keep the 2-group Strada.
onthego
onthego
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black, Silvia...
Grinder: Macap M4 Stepless, Rocky DL,...
Drip: Krups
Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 5:45pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

-- repeat after me -- a PID is useless on an HX.

A PID can be used to replace the pressurestat on an HX.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 6:02pm

My point was that if you have to work that fast, you might as well (or perhaps should) keep the 2-group Strada.

And a darn good point it was.

A PID can be used to replace the pressurestat on an HX.

While a PID on an HX is helpful with recovery, provides a tighter dead-band, and isn't subject to mechanical reliability issues, it doesn't effect the "water-dance/cooling-flush" routine of temping. The new version of the T1, has a PID instead of a p-stat and needs the same temping ritual as the previous model.  

Jason was referring to the PID only in terms of temping.  

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best commercial...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.389014005661)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+