Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help, my water tank keeps getting funky!
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help, my water...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
hamiltont

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sat Feb 8, 2014, 7:32pm
Subject: Help, my water tank keeps getting funky!

Hey all,

I've recently gotten a Crossland CC1. It's great, but "white slime floaters" keeps showing up in the water tank. I use only filtered water, and the tank is refilled about once per two-three days. The first two times this happened I removed the tank, scrubbed everything clean, and replaced. The third time (now) I'm wondering what's going on, perhaps :

1. I need to remove and clean/dry the tank when refilling
2. My water is funky and has bacteria
3. Water filter is old
4. Odd backflush coming in from the feedback hoses (I see one input and one output hose going to the tank, but surprisingly water occasionally comes out of the output hose--I figured it was to output air)

Any thoughts welcome, picture attached

hamiltont: IMG_20140208_203513.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Feb 8, 2014, 8:39pm
Subject: Re: Help, my water tank keeps getting funky!

hamiltont Said:

Hey all,

I've recently gotten a Crossland CC1. It's great, but "white slime floaters" keeps showing up in the water tank.

Posted February 8, 2014 link

How often do you normally clean the reservoir?
CMIN

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Feb 8, 2014, 10:48pm

Never had that happen in the 2 years I've owned my CC1. I just add fresh water every other day or so and take the tank out to clean once a week. The metal tube into the tray is backflush, the two tunes in the tank are intake and the relief tube.
Bogiesan

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Salvatore Famosa c.2000
Grinder: Rancilio M40
Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 6:15pm

You must first identity the floaters before you can determine what to do about them. Could be lots of things not on your list. Pick some of the stuff up and swab it onto a piece of white bread and check it every day for, umm, interesting things that weren't there earlier.

Funky water is easy to test: put some water in two large glass jars, leave on the counter and put one in the fridge. Do you see floaters?

Try using bottled water for a few weeks.

I play go. I use Macintosh,. Of course I ride a recumbent.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 10:52pm

What is your water source? What sort of filters are you using? How often have they been changed? Clean the filter housings? Etc.?

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
hamiltont

Grinder: Vario
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 6:10am

Good replies!

I currently clean the tank about once / week. The tank is a PITA to get out (I've got to move the machine then wiggle it out), but I'm thinking that more removal and cleaning is the main need. I've let a water cup sit on the counter already, it only got dusty so the issue is likely with the machine/tank. I'm using a standard brita pitcher, and I just replaced the filter this week to see if it helps this problem.

CMIN Said:

Never had that happen in the 2 years I've owned my CC1. I just add fresh water every other day or so and take the tank out to clean once a week. The metal tube into the tray is backflush, the two tunes in the tank are intake and the relief tube.

Posted February 8, 2014 link

Very interesting. I wonder what's different between us, this is my schedule too
CMIN

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 7:40am

I stopped using Brita pitchers, test showed the filters useless and not filtering after like 3-4 weeks. I tested mine and found the same thing and it was no different than our fridge water. Pry even shorter life if straight from tap here. My fridge filter goes months of filtering no prob.

Are you using the bottomless basket, if you are I wonder if your getting some spritz/channeling shooting into the tank? If not, not sure what caused that. I'd do as above and test the water to see what's in it. If I leave it  for a week it'll get funky, but so will a bottle of water that's been opened, or a tumbler, or cup of water when I've left it out.
faster

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancillio Silvia-PID
Grinder: Rossi RR45
Roaster: Homemade drum roaster
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 11:09am

I encountered a similar problem on Silvia, after about a month of adding/topping off water to the tank, (using good quality bottled water) one day, by chance I reached in the tank and discovered the tank was "slimy". Invisible to eye, but walls a bit slimy...

I stopped topping off, now I go to minimum ~2" of the bottom and I fill.

I wash the tank with dish-detergent once a month and never had a problem since.

I think that the return hot water could contribute to growth of bacteria-slime...
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help, my water...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.337452173233)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+