Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Krups-EA-8250 - Good for a newbie?
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Krups-EA-8250 -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
kirkm

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Feb 8, 2014, 3:48pm
Subject: Krups-EA-8250 - Good for a newbie?

Hello!

I'm looking to buy my first espresso machine and wondered what you guys think about the Krups ea 8250?
 View Profile Link to this post
CHenry

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Olympia Express Maximatic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic Type...
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: none
Posted Sat Feb 8, 2014, 4:18pm
Subject: Re: Krups-EA-8250 - Good for a newbie?

If you can get the machine cheaply, It might not be such a bad deal. It is a low-end superauto, so you will have very little capacity to adjust the grind or any other aspect of the brew cycle. The parts are mostly plastic. It cannot deliver the quality of espresso you would routinely expect from a basic semi-automatic machine, never mind what a semi-auto can produce when optimized.

I had the model Krups replaced with this one. I bought it to use at my office. It made a not-awful espresso very conveniently, and in an office setting, where having a grinder separately for only a handful of drinks a day wasn't what I wanted, it served a beneficial purpose. The model I bought had a design defect that eventually disabled the machine after two years or so. The repair needed was on the order of half what I paid for the machine and would not have prevented a recurrence of the same problem in time. I disposed of the machine instead of paying for the repairs. If Krups have not found a way to clear grinds from the brewhead inside the machine with this model, then look at this as a semi-disposable appliance.

If you have a little flexibility, options like a Crosslands machine and a decent grinder would give you a much better quality cup.
kirkm

Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 2:40am

Thanks for your response. I actually live in Dubai and I'm quite limited to whats on offer here, I couldn't find anything about Crossland machines in Dubai. My budget is around 800-1000usd for the machine and grinder, and I'd like a machine that can make cappuccinos.

I just found a place that supplies Gaggia machines, could anyone suggest the best model from this link?
Link - Click Here (www.dubaigardencentre.ae)

I never knew buying a coffee machine would be so hard! There is so much information online but I just been going around in circles. Your advice is much appreciated!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 12:00pm

Tell us what you have access to in Dubai.  We can work from there.  Did you read the sticky at the top of this forum? It helps us if we have the answers to those questions.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kirkm

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 5:38am

Hi Coffeenoobie,

Here are my answers followed by machines and grinders I have so far found in Dubai.

1) What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's capabilities.)
Mainly double shot cappuccinos

2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at any one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)

3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)
15 - 20

4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pour over machine with its own reservoir?
Need a pour over machine

5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
Standard

6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?
1000 usd for machine and grinder. That is my maximum, if I can get a good set up spending less, that would be good.

7)  Are you willing to buy used or do you need new equipment? Do you or family member have the skills to repair used equipment?
Want to buy new

8)  Do you have the essential accessories (decent tamper, knockbox, the works), otherwise budget about $100 for these.
I don't have any accessories

Gaggia machines available in Dubai;
New baby twin –  650 usd
New baby twin classic – 544 usd
Classic – 520 usd
Baby dose red – 520 usd
Prestige – 270 usd
De luxe – 220 usd
Espresso Pure black – 330 usd
Evolution – 330 usd
Espresso dose – 380 usd
Unica – 450 usd (on offer from 900 usd)
Syncrony Lodgic – 400 usd (on offer from 680 usd)

Other;
Krups EA8255K1 – 950 usd
Krups EA8245K1 – 735 usd
Krups XP5220 – 270 usd
Delonghi BCO420 – 245 usd

Grinders;
Gaggia MM – 140 usd
Severin coffee grinder 0 140 usd
Delonghi KG40 – 40 usd

The only other grinders I have found are La San Marco’s, all 1000 usd++, I’m still searching for more options.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 7:46am

Gaggia Classic is a good machine, but the grinders you listed aren't good and not even remotely capable for espresso, I wouldn't even use them for coarse. Can you get Baratza there? If you can get a Baratza Preciso that's about the entry level for an espresso grinder, there's Le'Lit too and the Pharos hand grinder in the 200-300 range. But looks like your budget could allow a Baratza Vario which is better, Gaggia Classic and Vario would be a good starter combo for you, some of the other machines you listed aren't even espresso machines as they use a pressurized portafilter, and the Gaggia Baby Twin is the black sheep of the fam, avoid it lol

There has to be other retailers in dubai/coffee specialty retailers. What about Ebay, not sure how that works as far as getting stuff into Dubai, but wholelattelove sells refurbed Gaggia Classics for under 300,and the Baratza grinders can be found on Ebay as well. Again though not sure what the process is like/cost (if it's different) if your buying In dubai, you'd have to check that
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 7:54am

Any Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, Bezzera?

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Krups-EA-8250 -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.3314640522)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+