Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Feedback needed from Silvano owners
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Feedback needed...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Tesla

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Feb 6, 2014, 10:56am
Subject: Feedback needed from Silvano owners

Hi everyone,

I'm a first time poster. This is a fantastic forum and I have learned a lot here.  

I need some feedback from owners of Silvano to understand if it has enough steaming capability to create good microfoam using Soy Milk. I get mixed messages from reading reviews.

Answers to some relevant questions:
- This will be my first Espresso machine.
- I already have a Vario grinder that I use for drip.
- My typical usage will be a couple Cappuccino's at a time and up to 20 drinks a week.
- I don't drink dairy milk :).

I have narrowed my choice to QuickMill Silvano or Anita. My choices came from reading many product reviews & vendor comments about the service from Chris coffee.

The only reason for choosing Anita is for steaming capability but I would rather save $500 and buy Silvano if it will work for me.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
 View Profile Link to this post
gophishin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ecm technika iv profi
Grinder: baratza vario
Drip: bonavita immersion dripper
Posted Thu Feb 6, 2014, 2:26pm
Subject: Re: Feedback needed from Silvano owners

I haven't used a Silvano, but from what I have read, it has good steaming power because of the thermoblock, and is an excellent single boiler machine.  I have used the Anita and I found it to be a great machine with plentiful steaming power.  My current machine being a single boiler as well, I would say you're going to notice less difference between the steaming power of the Silvano and Anita and more difference in the overall performance of having the quick recovery, heat stability, and potential quality in the cup of an HX machine.  

I typically pull one straight shot first thing in the morning (after adequate warm up) and then half an hour later I'll pull two more doubles that will go into my out the door latte.  The PID on the Silvano will help a great deal, but the E61 group and larger boiler of the Anita will lead to much more stable temps and faster recovery on repeated shots, plus plentiful steam on tap.  I think the Silvano is a very nice machine, and I'd be glad to have one, but after having used an Anita for awhile I do think the additional $500 is worth it, IMO.  I've been making pretty good drinks on my Classic for about 10 months now, but I'm already thinking about which HX machine I will go to next.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Winnisk

Espresso: Silvano
Grinder: Vario
Posted Thu Feb 6, 2014, 4:25pm

My wife drinks soy caps and the Silvano does the job as long as you are keeping the soy to 8oz or less. However, having said that, steam power is not the Silvano's best feature. If all I was doing was making milk/soy drinks, I would probably look at machines with more steam power.

Either way, we have found the biggest thing with soy drinks is getting the right soy product. Personally, I have found nothing that even comes close to Pacific Foods Barista Series

If I were you, if you haven't already, I would give Chris' Coffee a call and talk to someone there.

Good luck and enjoy whichever way you go!
slooowr6

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: PV Export
Grinder: MACAP M4
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: SwissGold
Roaster: Gene
Posted Thu Feb 6, 2014, 5:34pm

I have been using Silvano for more than 2 years. Like the previous posted, the steam power is just enough. As long as you keep the volume low, like 8oz or less it should do ok.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 2:14pm

gophishin Said:

I haven't used a Silvano, but from what I have read, it has good steaming power because of the thermoblock, and is an excellent single boiler machine.  I have used the Anita and I found it to be a great machine with plentiful steaming power.  My current machine being a single boiler as well, I would say you're going to notice less difference between the steaming power of the Silvano and Anita and more difference in the overall performance of having the quick recovery, heat stability, and potential quality in the cup of an HX machine.  

I typically pull one straight shot first thing in the morning (after adequate warm up) and then half an hour later I'll pull two more doubles that will go into my out the door latte.  The PID on the Silvano will help a great deal, but the E61 group and larger boiler of the Anita will lead to much more stable temps and faster recovery on repeated shots, plus plentiful steam on tap.  I think the Silvano is a very nice machine, and I'd be glad to have one, but after having used an Anita for awhile I do think the additional $500 is worth it, IMO.  I've been making pretty good drinks on my Classic for about 10 months now, but I'm already thinking about which HX machine I will go to next.

Posted February 6, 2014 link

I have a Gaggia and also the Silvano - for recovery time there is no comparison between the two machines - 100ml Gaggia boiler vs 700ml Silvano boiler (PID controlled).

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
sherpakid

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Quickmill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress, Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Feb 11, 2014, 10:49am

I use a Silvano. I have never had an issue with the steam. I get very good steam that I can pour art with. Like others said, if you are making BIG milk drinks, it may not be adequate, but for daily use for cappuccinos, I've never had an issue. After pulling a couple shots, I make two caps every morning. The steam is more than adequate for this purpose.

www.nobletreecoffee.com
Tesla

Posted Tue Feb 11, 2014, 8:42pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I went ahead and ordered a Silvano from CC.  Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow and beat the snow.
Tesla

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 7:09pm

The Silvano arrived today. One question about the portafilter. Is it normal for the portafilter to be crooked? In other words the portafilter handle does not stick straight out.
sharky
sharky

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 6:31am

Tesla Said:

The Silvano arrived today. One question about the portafilter. Is it normal for the portafilter to be crooked? In other words the portafilter handle does not stick straight out.

Posted February 14, 2014 link

Tesla, that is by design!  It makes it a little easier to re-insert when you lock-and-load!
Tesla

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014, 4:15pm

Well I have been using my Silvano for about a week now. So far I have not gotten good microfoam. I typically steam 6oz or less in 12oz pitcher. Either my technique is all wrong or I need a different machine.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Feedback needed...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.35369682312)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+